Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 13:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Such rusting happens due to direct contact of bare metal with water or water vapor. Its because the show room guys wash the car, drive it to the parking area and leave it there with droplets of water sticking to the metal. This is what cause the surface corrosion or rusting.
Any kind of rusting is not good for the parent metal, as it removes minute parts of the metal along with it. Over a period of time, pitting would occur and sure is a compromise to the quality of the part.
During long storage, it is advisable to apply anti-rust paint on all metal surfaces, which the dealers are not doing. I have seen in middle east, new cars delivered would still have the anti-rust paint on all metal parts (except brake discs of course) and until you remove the nut first time, it remained.
Finally, rust doesn't protect parent metal completely. It only acts as a retarder to water reaching the parent metal. Eventually rusting will damage the metal.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:22   #17
BHPian

Delivery of a Diesel Vento - What is this rusted part?

Hi,

I went along with a colleague to take delivery of his Diesel Vento. Having been burned by Skoda before, when they sold me a defective Superb, I insisted on a PDI.

Everything looked just fine -- until I slid under the car and tried to inspect the underbody (much to the surprise of the mechanics there). There is a component there which is rusted -- does anyone here know what exactly that is? To give perspective - I had slipped under the drivers side door, and this is near the front axle equidistant from the two front wheels.

I told him that VW has been in India for less than two years now. Even if they purchased this item the day they entered India and saved it to this day, even then it shouldn't be rusted!!

Anyway, I was told that this is 'not a critical component', and that 'every diesel vento has it'. I looked under 3 different diesel ventos in the workshop. True enough, all 3 had it.

So -- question -- what is this component!? Anyone else with a diesel vento seen this before?

Rust on a Brand new Car-dieselvento.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 19th June 2012 at 14:25. Reason: Added the pic within the text. Removed external link.
mudittandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:20   #18
BHPian

Re: Delivery of a Diesel Vento - What is this rusted part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
Hi,

I went along with a colleague to take delivery of his Diesel Vento. Having been burned by Skoda before, when they sold me a defective Superb, I insisted on a PDI.

Everything looked just fine -- until I slid under the car and tried to inspect the underbody (much to the surprise of the mechanics there). There is a component there which is rusted -- does anyone here know what exactly that is? To give perspective - I had slipped under the drivers side door, and this is near the front axle equidistant from the two front wheels.

I told him that VW has been in India for less than two years now. Even if they purchased this item the day they entered India and saved it to this day, even then it shouldn't be rusted!!

Anyway, I was told that this is 'not a critical component', and that 'every diesel vento has it'. I looked under 3 different diesel ventos in the workshop. True enough, all 3 had it.

So -- question -- what is this component!? Anyone else with a diesel vento seen this before?

Attachment 943385
I am not much sure, but from the looks It feel like its a some sort of support for the exhaust pipe. Some thing that can hold the pipe in correct position, may be to avoid rattles and other issues.
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Attachment 943385

Looks like this is a support for the exhaust pipe. (I assume it is the exhaust pipe and it has bushes attached to control the vibration that is generated form the engine as you mentioned it is in the front end and near to the engine.)

Nothing to worry about, but best to get it replaced at the first service.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 19th June 2012 at 15:23.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Looks like this is a support for the silencer pipe. The bushes attached to it reduce the vibration of the silencer pipe.

Nothing to worry about, but best to get it replaced at the first service.
Why wait till the first service? They will find a way to charge the owner at that time as well.

Cant you insist that the part be replaced BEFORE delivery?
Old 19th June 2012, 15:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This clamp seems to hold the muffler/silencer in place without passing on the vibrations (a clamp with a damper).

Need not worry about this part. Make be just take a brush and have it painted in your favorite to save it from deteriorating further, though the chances of it are remote.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:31   #22
BHPian

Its just a exhaust pipe mount , hanging on rubber bushings. Trust me, the chances of this falling off due to rust is much less than the chances of the rubber Bushings failing & ending up with a loose end pipe. This will probably last you the lifetime of the car.

There is Surface rust , which in all probability is just due to poor electroplating by the Vendor.

Nothing to get worried. Just enjoy your new car.

Happy Driving!
car_crazy1400 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Why wait till the first service? They will find a way to charge the owner at that time as well.
Assuming he has already taken the delivery and if he has no time to visit the service centre.

As per my experience with Maruti A.S.S. I never had a problem doing these minor replacements at the first service in my ownership of 4 Maruti vehicles over a period of time.

But even better to speak to the dealer and inform him about the short comings and get it replaced as he suggests.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mudit, most automobile exhaust components are made of a material called SS409. This is basically a stainless steel. But the unique thing about SS409 is that it will develop one layer of rust and this one layer will prevent it from rusting any further. This material is basically used where aethetics are not important, but corrosion prevention is. I have used a lot of this material and trust me when I say, it will not rust any further.

But for your peace of mind I would recommend you to ask the VW dealer to clean that part and then paint it with some black paint. From what I see in the picture that part appears to be welded to the exhaust pipe. Replacing this part would mean replacing that particular portion of the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by vikram_d : 19th June 2012 at 16:01.
vikram_d is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
There is a component there which is rusted -- does anyone here know what exactly that is? To give perspective - I had slipped under the drivers side door, and this is near the front axle equidistant from the two front wheels.
That seems to be some kind of bracket behind the flex joint. Rusting in that area is common and not a big problem.
carbookie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 17:45   #26
BHPian

That seems absolutely normal, nothing to worry about - just cross checked on my Vento as well.

Take the delivery and enjoy!
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 18:21   #27
BHPian

Don't worry about it, it won't rust any further.

This is how it looks on a Vento that has covered 45,000kms.

Rust on a Brand new Car-imag0640.jpg
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 12:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
Don't worry about it, it won't rust any further.

This is how it looks on a Vento that has covered 45,000kms.
Thanks everyone! Looks like this is not much to worry about. The dealer told me they won't change the part because it's 'fine'.

Allthesame, it was still a bit unnerving to see this on a brand new one! But I guess it's something that my colleague will have to live with, since it's just visible rust and unlikely to hamper with the rest of the body.

Thanks all!!
Old 14th March 2017, 20:35   #29
BHPian

My one day Old Ford Ecosport TDI with 17" Alloy

Mod note: Please use search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Hello All,

Writing for advice and help on my new Ford EcoSport. I booked the Ford Ecosport MOONDUST SILVER C/C MED SOLID on Jan 28th and since it was a latest model with 17 inch alloys the delivery was done on March 12, 2017.

I have seen a few issues and need suggestions from the forum. Any help/ escalation matrix would be helpful. I have registered an official complaint as well with Ford and the complaint number is {SrvReqNo:[0800143444]}

The vehicle has been purchased from SC ford, Mumbai, Linking Road, Malad.

On the brand new vehicle I see rust near the bolts and am worried that this would be there somewhere else on the Chassis. I usually get a 3M under body chassis coating done before it leaves the showroom as well. During a check I saw rust on the bolts and am worried if this is there somewhere else. I have no way to cross check if the chassis had rust at some other places and if the chassis is being eaten by rust.

Also, though I had asked this question earlier can someone help me verify the VIN. The VIN on my car is MAJAXXMRKAHJ06860. Does this mean that the chassis is a 2013 Chassis ?

1. How do I make sure my VIN is a 2017 manufacturing for the Chassis ?
2 How do I cross check if the Chassis is fine and there is no rust ?
3. What other options I have, as I know the dealer will not replace the vehicle ?

I have upload all the Pictures I have.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Rohinton

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2017 at 20:02. Reason: Typo
Old 15th March 2017, 11:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: My one day Old Ford Ecosport TDI with 17" Alloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohintonw View Post
On the brand new vehicle I see rust near the bolts
Rust near which bolts? Photos are not visible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks