Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 20:43   #1

Dual mass flywheel?

What are the necessary changes in starter motor of diesel engine if we plan to change the ordinary flywheel with a dual mass flywheel?
I need opinion with a fair reason...
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:23   #2
BHPian

Firstly, why would you be using a dual mass flywheel, instead of a single mass? A single mass is MUCH more reliable than a dual mass flywheel.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:21   #3
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Firstly, why would you be using a dual mass flywheel, instead of a single mass? A single mass is MUCH more reliable than a dual mass flywheel.
+1

And it is much cheaper.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:24   #4

reliability is not the criteria. Criteria is to develop technology. We can increase FOS of the DMF material wise and design wise as well. I am not sure about working of starter for the same.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:23   #5

guys, I am not concerned for the cost or anything...
And you people are not getting my question and approach, I am asking that what are the necessary changes to be made in starter motor if we replace SMF with DMF or CDMF...
Old 17th July 2010, 23:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

As far as my knowledge goes, you don't need to change anything in starter motor. There is one thing though, the starter motor groves needs to be serviced often of residue.

I will never recommend anyone to change to DMF on their daily drive. as its expensive and more prone to failure as it has extra moving parts. So the hassle is more than the advantage it provides.

-kenden
Old 18th July 2010, 03:21   #7
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
As far as my knowledge goes, you don't need to change anything in starter motor. There is one thing though, the starter motor groves needs to be serviced often of residue.

I will never recommend anyone to change to DMF on their daily drive. as its expensive and more prone to failure as it has extra moving parts. So the hassle is more than the advantage it provides.

-kenden
And try balancing one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks