Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Need Input and Suggestions- Want to install/mount a netbook in Manza

Hi Friends!

Here is what is going on in my extra-wide head right now.

I got an Acer netbook with mild to moderate use and I intend to put it to some more use.

I got this Acer netbook from US about a year and half back. Netbook is something like this--> Aspire One

Specs are: Intel Atom (cant recall the exact name)
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 160 GB
Screen size: 8"

I intend to use this netbook in my Manza as a media center for all the music I like to have in my car and some occasional video playback too.

I do not intend to put it as a full fledge CarPC with all the bells and whistles, well actually I already have some of the bells and whistles like stereo in-built Bluetooth pairing, GPS in my Iphone windshield mounted using a nice Capdase Iphone Car holder with latest MapMyIndia Software.

I want to dash mount the netbook, use the headphone out socket with line-in port of the stereo, charge the netbook with a good laptop car charger.

This is what I have been able to find from the net so far regarding the car holder:

Netbook Car holder: netbook car kit -Netbook Reviews

I do not intend to do anything with internal stereo wirings and stuff to avoid any warranty issues, but at the same time I want this setup to look as elegant as possible.

Now here comes the list of queries:
  • Need sugestions to decide on a wireless input controller (probably a trackball): My Wife, the co-passenger in the car on a daily basis ,would be controlling the playback most of the time. Keyboard not required I guess, whenever really needed wify can always reach out to the netbook keyboard.
  • Netbook Car holder: Anyone seen this thing in the Indian market? If yes, then would really appreciate the details being shared.
Any other inputs/suggestions you guys would like to give is more than welcome.

Lets hear it from the Gurus here
Old 4th July 2010, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

You need to do 2 very simple things:

1. Figure out how to make a mounting arrangement for it. Check on YouTube - there are a few videos where people have made nifty DIY (but very nice and solid) mounting arrangements - one that I remember was for ASUS EeePC, which mounted near the AC vents without blocking them. These allowed the netbook to be taken away when not in use

2. A power supply that will give you the same DC charging voltage (look at the sticker on the PSU brick). If nothing else, you can get a 12VDC to 220VAC inverter so that you can use the original brick

This way, you will be using the netbook normally with the kbd and trackpad, and can unmount and take it home - minimizing chances of someone coveting it taking it away.

BTW, where did you get the "Capdase Iphone Car holder with latest MapMyIndia Software"?
Old 4th July 2010, 22:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BTW, where did you get the "Capdase Iphone Car holder with latest MapMyIndia Software"?
Sorry to have caused that confusion with my incorrect use of punctuation.
What I meant was "GPS in my Iphone windshield mounted using a nice Capdase Iphone Car holder, with latest MapMyIndia Gps Software.

I will check out YouTube as you suggested, Thanks!

Most Viewed