Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 16:58   #1
BHPian

Brake pedal Wobble

I hadnt used my car for couple of weeks. Today decided to take it out and found that the break pedal is wobbling. There is also a periodic woosh kind of sound which i believe is coming from engine. I immediately brought the car back home
Called Maruti On Road and they asked me to bring to show room. Im bit concerned about driving it to service center.
Any idea what this can be?Is it safe to drive to service center which is about 5 km?

Edit:forgot to add, This is a 2.5 year old Wagon R Duo
Old 4th July 2010, 17:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

What car do you have? Is it the ABS because i cant quite understand what a brake pedal wobble is besides the pulse one gets when the ABS kicks in. If you slammed the brakes and felt the "wobble" then thats normal and means your ABS is working. Regarding the Whoosh sound from the engine you will have to elaborate.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brake pedal wobble could be due to an unevenly worn out brake disc.

Not sure about the "whoosh" sound. Hope someone hasn't secretly fitted a turbo on your Wagon R. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 4th July 2010, 17:55   #4
BHPian

there is no ABS. Its happening even when i tried in minimum speed. Regarding the sound - It can also be a small variant of thuc thuc sound. im unable to put into words. But its periodic
Old 4th July 2010, 18:51   #5
BHPian

The brake pedal wobble could be the disk getting worn unevenly(rightly pointed out by shan2nu). But that shouldn't happen while being kept idle for 2 weeks.

And for the periodic whoosh sound, a similar complaint from my mother was diagnosed to the air-con system. Each time the a/c gets engaged the refrigerant flow in the system causes a similar sound. This you notice especially when you drive the car in the night or in the rain with A/C in Low Position.
Old 4th July 2010, 20:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
And for the periodic whoosh sound, a similar complaint from my mother was diagnosed to the air-con system. Each time the a/c gets engaged the refrigerant flow in the system causes a similar sound. This you notice especially when you drive the car in the night or in the rain with A/C in Low Position.
AC was on.

Now if this is a disk worn issue, i hope any replacement will get covered under guarantee, right?
Old 4th July 2010, 20:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The case would be uneven wear of discs and also it could be caused due to low quality pads. If the pads are made of very hard compound (obviously after-market), they wobble like ABS upon hard breaking at high speeds. I doubt that as it is just a 2.5 yr old car(have you changed the pads?), the original pads could be defective and must have become 'really hard' upon non usage and hence the noise.

If at all the pads are defective, please change them asap, as it will scrape off your disc too.

Well, to find out of the pads are causing the problem(some break pads are hard compound - manufacturing defect) you or the A.S.S need to have some expertise as some people just look at the pad wear and come to a conclusion that its not worn off.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I hadnt used my car for couple of weeks. Today decided to take it out and found that the break pedal is wobbling.
In addition to other peoples suggestions, check for rusting/ seizure of the caliper on the pin on which it floats, and rusting on the disk itself.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th July 2010, 00:40   #9
BHPian

could it be rust on the exposed parts of the brake disc. while parked the part covered by the caliper is free from water splash and stuff, maybe the rest has a bit of rust on it and it could be the reason for the wobble or judder on the brake pedal.

the solution to this is drive the car in the compound/driveway/empty road in first gear at about 10kmph with the brake engaged.
p.s. Now Just in case... be ready to engage the hand brake.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:40   #10
BHPian

I used to have this wobble in my zen sometime back. Since my brake pads and discs were due for replacement i got them done, thinking that its due to a bent/worn disk. The problem remained.

Later my mech interchanged wheel parts with another zen at his workshop and it was found that a disk like part (don't know the name of it) which holds the wheel bearing and has two arms connecting to the chassis had a problem. The earlier workshop while replacing the bearing had incorrectly taken out the bearing resulting in a small bend just at the point where the wheel bearing sits. This was the cause of the ABS like vibrations when i used to brake.

My advise would be to get both front wheel's checked along with all unsprung parts. Don't take the advise of the MASS to change whatever they feel. Tell them to check each part that connects with the wheel and then decide which one needs replacement. Might be a time consuming task but can bring out the root cause and save a good amount of money.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:23   #11
BHPian

@all,

Thanks for teh suggesttion. I will have time to take to service center only next saturday. Will keep you updated
Old 7th July 2010, 11:25   #12
BHPian

@ Rajesh

Three weeks ago my Santro had same problem, the brake pads had worn out and it was resulting in wobble whenever i was applying brakes. Replaced the pads and there is no wobble at all now
Old 12th July 2010, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Took the vehicle out yesterday and drove for couple of KM's .The problem was present initially, then slowly started decreasing.Now not even a trace

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks