Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 14:14   #1
BHPian

Honda City stopping abruptly

Guys,

Need your expert comments on this issue I am facing. I got my City back from the Honda Dealership after a body work(My neighbour crashed in my parked car). Since it was body work and the rear bumper needed to be replaced, I was forced to give it to Crystal Honda.

Since the time I got my car back, the car stops abruptly while driving. I have noticed that the Honda guys have cleaned my Engine Bay. I have noticed a similar issue when I got my car back from servicing earlier. The issue got resolved in a couple of days and was not very frequent back then.

This time the car is stopping very frequently . The Engine stops suddenly while driving RPM drops to zero .
Old 5th July 2010, 17:08   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Guys,

Need your expert comments on this issue I am facing. I got my City back from the Honda Dealership after a body work(My neighbour crashed in my parked car). Since it was body work and the rear bumper needed to be replaced, I was forced to give it to Crystal Honda.

Since the time I got my car back, the car stops abruptly while driving. I have noticed that the Honda guys have cleaned my Engine Bay. I have noticed a similar issue when I got my car back from servicing earlier. The issue got resolved in a couple of days and was not very frequent back then.

This time the car is stopping very frequently . The Engine stops suddenly while driving RPM drops to zero .
If you are sure that the service center guys cleaned the engine bay, I think they might have managed to enter water into your electricals while cleaning. When the engine suddenly stops, are the other electricals still working, like your ICE and lights ?
Old 5th July 2010, 18:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
If you are sure that the service center guys cleaned the engine bay, I think they might have managed to enter water into your electricals while cleaning. When the engine suddenly stops, are the other electricals still working, like your ICE and lights ?
I am very sure that they cleaned the engine bay. The other electricals do work, the car starts again after a couple of tries(at times more).
Old 5th July 2010, 19:20   #4
BHPian

Might sound stupid. But have you tried and Italian Tune Up ?

Is there any "pattern" or its all random ?
Sounds like (water + electrical system) = gremlins
Old 5th July 2010, 19:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Might sound stupid. But have you tried and Italian Tune Up ?

I am not aware of the Italian Tune Up

Is there any "pattern" or its all random ?
Sounds like (water + electrical system) = gremlins
There is absolutely no patter. The car stops randomly in any gear.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:45   #6
BHPian

have you tried revving it to high RPM when you first start the vehicle in morning.

Does all lights on panel remain ON or they just went off when your car stops.
if yes, it may be a loose connection somewhere causing a sparking/mis-contact.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

When the car shuts off, does it start again immediately as you crank it?
Old 5th July 2010, 21:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Engine stops suddenly while driving RPM drops to zero
Car stops, fine; but how does it start back? automatically or do you have to turn the keys again? What about other electricals such as light, speedo or tacho's needles? Do they also fall back to 0? Does the horn work?
Old 5th July 2010, 21:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

What other symptoms do you face?
Old 5th July 2010, 21:46   #10
BHPian

During power washing sometimes water enters the spark-plug area and prevents the car from starting. As the water dries up the car returns to normal. You can get a simple air jet blown in your spark plug area after servicing so that the water dries up immediately.

However I am not sure if this applies in your case as you have mentioned the car stops while driving rather than having trouble starting up. OTOH you have also mentioned that the engine area was cleaned so I do think that you can give it a shot.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:17   #11
BHPian

[quote=ghpk;1968257]have you tried revving it to high RPM when you first start the vehicle in morning.
Not tried that. I will give it a try

Does all lights on panel remain ON or they just went off when your car stops.
if yes, it may be a loose connection somewhere causing a sparking/mis-contact.
[/QUOTE ]When the car stops, the lights remain on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
When the car shuts off, does it start again immediately as you crank it?
At times it dose start immediately at times I have to crank it up few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What other symptoms do you face?
Nothing at all, the car starts immediately without any issues, runs like a dream as always . While its running, the engine suddenly stops. Once I crank the car a couple of time it starts again and runs normally. Issue is its happening pretty frequently this time. When I faced the issue earlier(after the earlier service) it had happened just a couple of time and never happened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Car stops, fine; but how does it start back? automatically or do you have to turn the keys again? What about other electricals such as light, speedo or tacho's needles? Do they also fall back to 0? Does the horn work?
Once the car stops, I have to turn the keys again a couple of times to start it again. Light stays On, Tacho needles drop to zero, horn/ICE works.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th July 2010 at 01:08. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 6th July 2010, 10:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Check all the connectors in the engine bay, one of them might be loose, including the battery cable. Then move on to fuse's and relay's if all of them are properly fixed (no loose connection).
Old 6th July 2010, 10:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

very remote, but could it be fuel pump related issue ?
Old 6th July 2010, 10:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Reading through your comments, the one thing that hits me on my face and i faced it a little while ago is the fuel pump relay. My esteem used to stop just like that and it will take a few seconds to restart only to stop again a little distance away. I changed the fuel pump, but it still happened and then there it was the culprit. Check the fuel pump relay. When it gets heated, it fails, then a little colder works again. Yes, the intervals get shorter and shorter as time goes by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Car stops, fine; but how does it start back? automatically or do you have to turn the keys again?
@argee... do you think the car is haunted ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2010, 10:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

The engine stopping on its own, may be a reason for erratic fuel supply, means the fuel supply may be getting cut-off resulting the engine goes off often??
Kindly have check the fuel pump/fuel system leaks if any?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks