Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2005, 07:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Turbo's and one minute idling

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Turbos & Idling Article. Thanks

When turbo engines were develeoped, engineers recommended that there should be at least one minute idling after starting and before switching off the engine to keep the turbo running properly and to prevent it from blowing pre-maturely. More improtant to have it idling before switching off the engine so that the turbo cools down. I don't know how many actually do it though. Now this is what I was planning to recommend customers buying a turbo charged car but from what I learn VW has engineered the new 2.0 Turbo in such a way that you no longer need to idle the engine.

This is what I got after doing some research from owner manuals and VW's training site. The new engines have a coolant/(water?) cooled turbo. Even after you switch off the engine a little pump circulates coolant through the turbo for some time to cool it down. The user manual of both the turbo Jetta & Passat doesn't recommend the one minute idling thing for this new engine. I am quoting from the training site :

To prevent carbon build-up on the turbine shaft in the turbocharger, an auxiliary coolant pump provides additional coolant circulation for a certain time after the engine is shut off hot. The pump forces the lower temperature coolant against the normal direction of flow. The coolant flows from the radiator through the turbocharger to the engine block and back to the cooler.

The service manager has gone a small vacation so I still need to talk to him about this and I don't know if the older 1.8 Turbo engine had the same technology. The only pre-owned 1.8T Jetta on our lot is missing the owner manual so Octavia RS owners, , does your manual state anything about the one minute idling? Do all Turbo engines now no longer need this idling thing? This is the first time I am dealing with turbo engines so I am in unchartered territory here.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2013 at 22:53. Reason: Adding link to turbo article
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2005, 08:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

In the UK, you find a lot of BMW diesels with blown turbos because of this very point
Old 8th November 2005, 08:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm a bit concerned here - the Safari Dicors manual doesnt suggest this kind of idling, not does it carry a sticker that says its required. I've seen this sticker on the older Scorpio though...I still idle the vehicle before and after use, though.

However, even after idling for say a minute or so there's a very distinctive hum of a turbine winding down AFTER the engine has stopped...

On the Smart, I can hear the water pump humming away for about 1/2 a minute after I stop the engine.
Old 8th November 2005, 09:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More improtant to have it idling before switching off the engine so that the turbo cools down.
Incorrect. The reason you have to idle for a minute is NOT cooling down, but lubrication. Turbos get their lubrication from the engine oil, and spin at a much higher rpm than the engine does. If you switch off immediately after coming to a halt, the turbo is still spinning at several thousand rpm without lubrication.

Cooling may be one of the reasons, but certainly not the main reason.

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2005, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incorrect. The reason you have to idle for a minute is NOT cooling down, but lubrication. Turbos get their lubrication from the engine oil, and spin at a much higher rpm than the engine does. If you switch off immediately after coming to a halt, the turbo is still spinning at several thousand rpm without lubrication.
I know that part GTO but I guess I didn't put it down the way you did since I, guess, I was more interested in coming to the main point.

Quote:
On the Smart, I can hear the water pump humming away for about 1/2 a minute after I stop the engine.
Going by what's mentioned on the VW training site, that's what should happen in the Passat and Jetta too. I guess, I will take the Passat for a long drive tomorrow and switch off the engine immediately and check if the coolant pump hums away for a minute too lubricate and cool down the turbo. Will revert back on this tomorrow. Let's seee what the Passat's engine does.
Old 8th November 2005, 10:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

Cooling may be one of the reasons, but certainly not the main reason.

GTO
Actually the issue has more to do with a combination of both cooling and lubrication.

When you switch off the engine without doing this exercise, the turbo keeps spinning with the residual lubrication. The high temp. prevalent in the turbo causes excess carbon build-up, also called coking of the oil. This hard coating causes the shaft to wear prematurely.

So VW is combating this with cooling rather than pumping oil after switching off the engine.
Old 8th November 2005, 11:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

The India/go turbos have this sticker on the door frame. Not a very obvious position. You can also look at unfamiliar places for the sticker. And yes you need to idle for a minute
Old 8th November 2005, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
The India/go turbos have this sticker on the door frame. Not a very obvious position. You can also look at unfamiliar places for the sticker. And yes you need to idle for a minute
Dude, there is NO place in the car that I havent seen and that includes the underside...NO sticker on the Dicor. Period.

The only sticker they've put on is one by the drivers side of the windscreen which relates to the usage of 4WD and how to shift back to 2WD.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:04   #9
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Common Rail engines wouldn't require to do this idling I'm thinking.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

CRi is the method in which fuel is injected into the cylinder and has nothing to do with the functioning of a turbo.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Inter cooler has no role to play in this start and shut business?

Just asking all the gurus cause I don't know.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

The turbo timer - ie. Idling the engine for a minute is specifically to let the turbo spool down and continue supplying oil to the turbo while it is doing so. If you shut the engine the oil supply is stopped hence leading to a chance of caking on the turbo shaft. You get after market turbo timers for this too. Intercoolers have not6hing to do with the spool down of the turbo.

However some cars come with oil reservoirs above the turbo which continue to gravity feed oil till the reservoir is drained, Such systems would not require to idle before shutting off. I am personally not too sure about the Dicor.
Old 8th November 2005, 13:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

splendid. now i knw something more. thanks to tbhpians.
Old 8th November 2005, 13:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dude, there is NO place in the car that I havent seen and that includes the underside...NO sticker on the Dicor. Period.
May be Tata are looking to include you in their long term service revenue income plans
Old 8th November 2005, 13:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Best to be on the safe side and always idle for about a minute before shutting down. Although the Skoda manual has no mention of this, it is a practice I try and follow, if not for a minute then atleast for 30 seconds.

However, the manual also states that its best to start driving at low rpm's as soon as possible after starting rather than letting it idle to get upto operating temperature.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks