Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:24   #61
BHPian

Re: Cruze definitely needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
In my cruze the starter motor does not engage when the clutch is not pressed.
Is this a manual or Auto trans..sorry i am not aware of Cruze vairants.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turbo's and one minute idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You need to park the vehicle in Neutral with the handbrake on as most people normally do.
However, if you are constantly having to park on a sharp incline, then I can understand why you may need to leave the vehicle in gear.
In case you absolutely have to leave it in gear when parking, then there is no alternative to your waiting till the turbo timer goes off, before switching the vehicle off completely and exiting it.
This kind of beats the purpose of having the turbo timer in the first place because if you're going to be sitting there, you might as well wait for that 30-45secs - 1 minute and switch off the car yourself instead of spending 8 grand on a Turbo Timer.
I always park the vehicle in gear and with the handbrake on. A good safety habit I developed a long time ago in Africa. Yes, in a level place the handbrake should suffice, but my logic is simple. If the handbrake fails and there is even a slight slope, your car will eventually start moving. NOT GOOD. I prefer two safety devices (handbrake and gear) to one.

So effectively the turbo timer is best suited to AT vehicles.
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:35   #63
BHPian

Re: Cruze definitely needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Is this a manual or Auto trans..sorry i am not aware of Cruze vairants.
Its is the base model manual version also called Cruze LT.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:38   #64
BHPian

Good thread, learnt something new today.
Regarding, pressing the clutch during start up, even my bike Suzuki Gs150R, will not start is the clutch is not pressed (even if the gear is in neutral). I initially thought this was a safety feature, to prevent the bike from starting accidentally.

So, I think this method is good for both petrol and diesel engines. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
t

Additionally, on the old Scorpio (Non Crde) and in the current Bolero DI Turbo, there is that yellow sticker which advises one to idle for a minute before switching off completely.
In the newer Scorpios and as far as I know, in the Bolero Crde Storm, this particular yellow sticker doesnt exist.
No Saar,

The yellow sticker exist very much, it is there on my Storm purchased 03/03/2011.
I am curious about how the Scorpio with the same engine doesn't carry such a sticker. My friend is on his second Scorpio and he has never had to idle to cool the turbo. How come is the Scopio different?

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 8th May 2012, 14:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
No Saar,

The yellow sticker exist very much, it is there on my Storm purchased 03/03/2011.
I am curious about how the Scorpio with the same engine doesn't carry such a sticker. My friend is on his second Scorpio and he has never had to idle to cool the turbo. How come is the Scopio different?

Regards,

Chaunfa
Scorpio's 2.2 Mhawk is different from Bolero's 2.5L motor,and the older scorpio's did have that idling sticker
Old 9th May 2012, 20:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The meru drivers driving the logans dont give a hoot to this idling ideology!

All of the just switch off the engine as soon as they stop at the signal! I was

One of the cab i travelled had 1,70,000 kms on the ODO and the driver said he has never idled the car before switching it off!! Dunno how the turbo has survived in all the Logans!
Old 10th May 2012, 19:53   #68
BHPian

I have question: I have a Ritz VDI. Due to traffic on the route, the engine RPM never goes beyond 1700.1800, means I never go into turbo range at all. If that is the case, still the idling befor switch off is to be carried out? PL clarify.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:17   #69
BHPian

Instead of driving till the destination in 70-100 speed, take the foot off the accelerator and let the vehicle run on minimum RPM (1000-1200) for the last .5-1km, it will save your one minute of wait after reaching the destination.
Ive faced many time after buying the swift. For Eg: We reach the theatre or a restaurent and everyone gets off the vehicle. And me sitting in the car waiting for THAT minute to finish . Trust me, THAT one minute goes real slow.

Question : every time one turns on the keys (not switching on the vehicle/ignition) we hear a faint buzzing sound (got to know that it is from the fuel pump which is getting ready or something), do we have to wait till it gets ready (which takes 12-15 seconds) or can we switch on the vehicle the moment we key in ?
Old 10th May 2012, 22:17   #70
BHPian

So how does this work with engines that have an intercooler? Does one need to idle for such engines as well? Does the intercooler make a difference.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:33   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
So how does this work with engines that have an intercooler? Does one need to idle for such engines as well? Does the intercooler make a difference.
Intercooler makes sure your turbo is cooled down sufficiently even after engine is switched off, but does it provide lubrication to the turbo? I think, Idling before ignition off is not required if you car has Intercooler.

@Srikanth: Riding a diesel car below the turbo range, can be a tiresome and boring one . Idling is not required if you never hit the turbo range for a few kms prior to switching off your engine.

Last edited by Optimus7 : 11th May 2012 at 16:36.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:56   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
No Saar,

Chaunfa
Another thing is Micro Hybrid Scorpios switch off temporarily when standstill for 5 Secs (?) to save fuel. Iam not sure how the one min thing works in this case.
Old 11th May 2012, 18:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post
Intercooler makes sure your turbo is cooled down sufficiently even after engine is switched off, but does it provide lubrication to the turbo? I think, Idling before ignition off is not required if you car has Intercooler.
I have my doubts about this though. I thought the inter-cooler comes into picture only after the air has been compressed through the turbo's turbine, and that it does not aid in cooling the turbo bearings itself.
Old 11th May 2012, 19:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have my doubts about this though. I thought the inter-cooler comes into picture only after the air has been compressed through the turbo's turbine, and that it does not aid in cooling the turbo bearings itself.
The compressed air is cooled down sufficiently by the inter cooler to make it denser, resulting in more power. Doesn't it help in cooling down the turbo (I am not sure though)?
Old 11th May 2012, 20:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post
The compressed air is cooled down sufficiently by the inter cooler to make it denser, resulting in more power.
True, but does not the inter-cooler come after the turbo, if this picture is anything to go by? And I don't see any lines after the cooler directed towards the turbo. Maybe experts can chip in on the practical implementation on our cars.

Turbo's and one minute idling-tubrokit3.jpg

Pic taken from the net - Turbochargers Explained » Car Parts » Drift Japan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed