Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2006, 18:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
if there is a trace of smoke you've been drinking from the wrong pub.
Well said, Steeroid!
Old 26th October 2006, 12:02   #32
BHPian

Go for an Upgrade to TATA

Hey Guys. Good and a long thread.

Well for those who see a lot of smoke, go to TATA.

They have got an upgraded Air Filter assembly and I am going to get it done this saturday. Its only 25 Days i got my safari and I wasn't really ahppy with emission, Though I has reduced over a period of time on its own,

So contact your tata dealer NOW and get a new assembly.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2006 at 22:14.
Old 26th October 2006, 12:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
Now that is suprising.But does it smoke frequently or only on startup?

BTW.i've seen even the Octavia TDI smoking sometimes.
My c200 smokes all the time on startup , more so on cold mornings , if u can call then cold in mumbai . its smells nasty and spits water too not that thats a bad thing but the smells still nasty.
Old 26th October 2006, 14:07   #34
BHPian

I think this experience of adding Acetone+2T might give benefit for all desiring good emission result........why not try this especially for emission purpose?....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-fuel-3.html

Enjoy....
Old 26th October 2006, 20:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

My 1998 Safari started bellowing smoke some months back and that raised my BP. At higher speeds the smoke was not visible. Morning start would emit black smoke and then it would go away after some idling.

I got the pmp and nozzle service done and that did improve things. Later, I switched on to what Finetuning has suggested and now I sleep soundly..
Old 26th October 2006, 20:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

And what is this upgraded Air-Filter assembly do that the existing one doesn't? And what is the cost?

Also do find out if this new assembly would fit the 1998 Safaris..Thanx in advance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine
Well for those who see a lot of smoke, go to TATA.

They have got an upgraded Air Filter assembly and I am going to get it done this saturday. Its only 25 Days i got my safari and I wasn't really ahppy with emission, Though I has reduced over a period of time on its own,

So contact your tata dealer NOW and get a new assembly.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2006 at 22:14.
Old 26th October 2006, 22:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
And what is this upgraded Air-Filter assembly do that the existing one doesn't? And what is the cost?..
I havent driven it yet with the new air-filter assembly, but I can confirm that the COST = ZERO. Its a free retrofit under their warranty.

I believe it lets the Dicor breathe better.

PS: This High Smoke Emission thread is quite old. The problem was taken care of by Tata Motors when they retrofitted a new EGR into the Dicors a few months back. The Air Filter upgrade has nothing to do with the smoke emissions IMHO.

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th October 2006 at 22:29.
Old 11th January 2007, 14:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

My last post had some problems with text formatting.. Mods kindly remove that post as I am not able to edit that either

I found this on net while looking for diesel smoke. from what appears to be a smoke mostly seen in night appears more closely to white smoke and off late i am also seeing the same, not always but occasionally

BLACK SMOKE
Black smoke is mainly attributed to over fuelling :
The injector pump is set too rich, there is an excessive amount of diesel being sprayed into the cylinders.
The turbo charger is not supplying sufficient pressure (air) into the engine.
The injectors may be worn, posibly linke with some white smoke.
BLUE SMOKE
Blue smoke is only caused by oil in the wrong places:
Blue smoke while idling and low revs, or a puff if smoke when accelarating from idle means the valve stem seals are shot.
Blue smoke while driving shown the rings are worn, usually harder to detect than in petrols but always linked to higher oil consumption.
Blue smoke on decelleration on long slow downhills, shows valve stem seals are shot.
WHITE SMOKE
White smoke is a result of incorrect injection pump timing, foreign fluids and air :
Constant thin white smoke on idle, puffing when revving the engine.
Water in the fuel system - Maybe from a bad tank of fuel ? Been wading in deep water lately ?
Air in the fuel system - a badly sealing filter, or joint or tank return blocked.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 14:55   #39
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari DICOR High Smoke Emission

Opening this old post as I am facing the same issue.

I have a Safari 3 L Dicor which has done 1 Lac kms. The issue is that its giving black/grey smoke under normal acceleration whenever I switch between the gears. Had taken it to the dealer, they changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter and said the injectors as of now are fine. The smoke did go down a bit but its still comes whenever I change gears and also continously when you accelerate. I also have put System D Extra and it did seem to help a bit but not too much. Apart from this the engine performance is pretty much the same as it was earlier before the smoke issue.

Do I need a EGR upgrade (mine is the green colored Padmini one) or maybe a new air filter. Please advise.
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Opening this old post as I am facing the same issue.

I have a Safari 3 L Dicor which has done 1 Lac kms. The issue is that its giving black/grey smoke under normal acceleration whenever I switch between the gears. Had taken it to the dealer, they changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter and said the injectors as of now are fine. The smoke did go down a bit but its still comes whenever I change gears and also continously when you accelerate. I also have put System D Extra and it did seem to help a bit but not too much. Apart from this the engine performance is pretty much the same as it was earlier before the smoke issue.

Do I need a EGR upgrade (mine is the green colored Padmini one) or maybe a new air filter. Please advise.
Did you got the issue solved? i am too having a similar problem with my Safari Dicor. I get excessive smoke at idle rpm too.
Old 24th September 2011, 12:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think you're extra-sensitive to the black smoke Ajay or maybe I just got too used to it & didn't react

I don't think there's any cause for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
said the injectors as of now are fine.
If there was an issue with the injectors, wouldn't it be white smoke?
Old 26th September 2011, 10:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Did you got the issue solved? i am too having a similar problem with my Safari Dicor. I get excessive smoke at idle rpm too.
Quote:
I think you're extra-sensitive to the black smoke Ajay or maybe I just got too used to it & didn't react

I don't think there's any cause for concern.
@ Mercedised - The issue is resolved. Got the EGR valve opened and had it cleaned. There was lots of soot in it and guess it was not working properly. They just cleaned it with pressurized air, the net result is that there is no smoke now.

@ Suman - Yeah have been bit finicky about the smoke thing, but am happy now that it finally got resolved after all the circus of visiting almost three TASS centers. Btw, I like your new signature Also when do we get to read the ownership report.

Last edited by Dragonov : 26th September 2011 at 10:54.
Old 30th January 2013, 20:57   #43
BHPian

Somehow the smoke problem is common in all TATA vehicles. Today i saw a Qudrajet Vista smoke everytime the car accelerated.Considering that this is the same diesel doing duty in Swift that was lot of smoke. I have hardly seen Swift diesel smoke. I wonder whats wrong with TATA tuning or is it the delear mechanics??
Old 30th January 2013, 21:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
Somehow the smoke problem is common in all TATA vehicles. Today i saw a Qudrajet Vista smoke everytime the car accelerated.Considering that this is the same diesel doing duty in Swift that was lot of smoke. I have hardly seen Swift diesel smoke. I wonder whats wrong with TATA tuning or is it the delear mechanics??
What you might have observed is a very ill maintained Vista. Or may be a vista with leaking turbo hose pipe.

Punto and Vista hardly smoke. The old swift smokes a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks