Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 08:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Misting outside the front windshield in Fiesta

Lately I have been experiencing some misting on the outside of the front windshield in my Ford Fiesta ZXi. I have tried numerous combinations of the blower speed, ac settings but the misting still happens. This is observed during a slight drizzle as well as normal rains. The following combinations tried.

Combination#1: Kept the control knob on Fresh air, blower speed 2, Direction towards the windshield (12' O clock position), AC settings at extreme right i.e full blue

Combination#2: Control knob on Recirculation mode, rest of settings as per combination#1.

Combination#3: All settings as per Combination#1 except AC settings at extreme left i.e full red.

Combination#4: Control knob on Recirculation mode, rest of settings as per combination#3

None of the above combination worked, the misting still happens. I can see the mist forming after the wipers have operated and stays till thje next wiper movement and this continues.

I know this has been discussed in individual Fiesta threads, thought could make it more open for discussion.

Pls let me know what else do I need to do to eliminate this misting.

Last edited by ghodlur : 9th July 2010 at 08:42.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:01   #2
BHPian

Is there any wax or oil deposite or any glass polish applied on the windscreen ? It could make a collidal solution and can appear as a mist.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Is there any wax or oil deposite or any glass polish applied on the windscreen ? It could make a collidal solution and can appear as a mist.
I suspected that and had the glass cleaned with a good glass cleaner shampoo, but even after that the misting still remains.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:30   #4
BHPian

This happens to me - WagonR. When the a/c blower is directed to the windscreen continuously, there will be outside misting after a few minutes.

This is like opposite rain effect - you direct the cold draft to the windscreen so as not to allow it to mist from inside, but what happens is that continuous cool air from inside causes a temperature imbalance on the outside, and there is enough humidity to cause outside misting.

Either turn the a/c on and off intermittently, or switch the blower direction away from the windscreen after some time, and back on if it starts misting again.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:45   #5
BHPian

This happens to my ikon as well during early morning and night even with the air flow directed towards the cabin. This is worse during the night.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did you tried the Ford recommendations:

1-Set the Control Knob to windshield position
2-Select fresh air mode (make sure the illumination is off)
3-Set the Knob in maximum hot position
4-Set the knob in maximum blower speed
5-Switch on the A/C

once the windshield is defogged completely, set the controls as per your convenience
(ofcourse this was already specified in the previous fiesta owners thread)!
Old 9th July 2010, 10:04   #7
BHPian

I have noticed the same in my brothers Fiesta too. Happens mostly in humid conditions.
My solution was slightly increasing the temperature inside. It reduces the speed at which mist starts to appear.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a solution that I got especially for this purpose. You apply this solution on the glass(inside) and the mist will not be formed. Forgot the name of the product.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have tried operating the fersh air inside at various blower speeds hoping that the temp diff between outside the inside the cabin would be approx be same but the issue still remains.

Do I have to show it the Service guys.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have this in my Getz CRDi too. I have front windshield sunfilm too (3M CR70), not sure if any of you too have it..?
Old 9th July 2010, 10:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Did you tried the Ford recommendations:

1-Set the Control Knob to windshield position
2-Select fresh air mode (make sure the illumination is off)
3-Set the Knob in maximum hot position
4-Set the knob in maximum blower speed
5-Switch on the A/C

once the windshield is defogged completely, set the controls as per your convenience
(ofcourse this was already specified in the previous fiesta owners thread)!
Nair Sir,

What you have suggested is for inner windshield issue. What about the outside windhsield misting happening.

Does not point#3 and 5 contradict?
Old 9th July 2010, 10:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
...experiencing some misting on the outside of the front windshield...
This isn't a car/model-specific problem, all cars suffer from misting outside the front windscreen during the monsoons, especially when it's close to 100% humidity but not actually raining. The solution is not through the HVAC / ACC settings, but through the wipers and the windscreen washer fluid.

Running your wipers removes the mist, but it comes back in a few seconds. Using a proprietary windscreen washer fluid and doing a few wash/wipe cycles helps to keep the glass clear for a little more time.

I smear on a proprietary spectacles lens cleaner such as Lenshine (available at any optician's shop) onto the windscreen and spread it out without streaks (not wipe it dry) - this keeps the windscreen clear of misting on the outside, until the wipers or wash/wipe are operated.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Misting happens when there is a difference in temperature on either side of the glass.

If inside is warmer than outside, misting happens inside. If inside is colder than outside, misting happens outside.

The trick is to try to maintain the inside temperature same as outside. There is no standard solution to this problem. You have to use trial and error.

What I do is that I keep the AC in recirculation mode, and manually set the temperature knob to achieve inside temperature similar to outside temperature.

The car's user manual also provides tips on how to tackle this problem.

Rohan
Old 9th July 2010, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is simple to overcome.

Misting *outside* the windshield happens due to the glass getting colder than outside air temperature due to cold air flowing from AC directly to the inner side of the windshield.

1) Do not put the direction of flow towards the glass for long time, when the AC is blowing cold air.

2) If you want to get rid of misting in the *inner surface* of the windshield, just turn the direction of flow towards the glass ONLY for a minute or two while AC is on. Then you can redirect the flow to normal.

That's it, you will not have misting formation outside.

I won't turn the direction of flow to the glass unless it is really necessary - in situations where the inner surface has lots of misting while I am driving. Otherwise, I will wait for that misting to subside with the air flowing in the normal way - anyway AC dehumidifies the entire cabin, so misting will fade sooner or later.

AND, once you have misting forming outside the windshield, NO ac settings will get rid of it immediately - You have to wait for the glass to come back to the outside air temperature from the colder state.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th July 2010 at 12:14.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dear ghodlur

I was having the same issues with my Ikon.

The misting was mainly in the evening times and was a deterrent during driving at nights.

I have come across a very easy solution as suggested by my mechanic:

Fold a car cleanig cloth(similar to the ones that are sold on the signals) and just cover the air drafts completely with it during the rains/ evenings when ever the misting is more prominent.

Use the AC as per your convenience.

The mist will minimize/ vanish completely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks