Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2015, 00:12   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Zen AC compressor change (R12 to R134)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Talk to Anurag Daga. He would be the best person to advise you. I know for a fact that he would not give you frivolous advice.

You could perhaps consider driving down to Kolkata and ask him to do the conversion.

Thanks Sir for the link. The reviews are really forcing me to drive to Kolkata to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I got my conversion for my Zen from Anurag only. Go for the conversion kit. It will not affect your cooling.
As suggested by SS-T you can discuss with him too.
That's nice. Since you have got the conversion "kit" done and not the entire new installation(which MASS here is forcing me to get done), I would request you to kindly list out the do's and don'ts so that I might be vigilant while getting the job done.
How is the cooling?? Better than OEM setup?? And how much did it cost you??

Regards

Last edited by Leoshashi : 3rd April 2015 at 00:14.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 00:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

That's nice. Since you have got the conversion "kit" done and not the entire new installation(which MASS here is forcing me to get done), I would request you to kindly list out the do's and don'ts so that I might be vigilant while getting the job done.
How is the cooling?? Better than OEM setup?? And how much did it cost you??

Regards
Cooling was good. I sold off my car two years after the conversion. Did not face any problems. It cost me Rs.7000 5 years back. I do not have much clue about what to to do or what not to do. As SST said Anurag Daga came highly recommended by one of my friend who owns a FNG in Kolkata. I just handed over the car to him in the morning and took delivery in the afternoon.
I completely trust him. Still get all my AC related jobs done from him.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 07:39   #78
BHPian

Hi All,

I got my R12 converted to R134A in 2012 in an authorized service center. It cost me around 8K at that time. However after the change, the AC effect goes of every 6 months and I have to do a gas top-up. Anybody having that problem? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2016, 08:36   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Hi All,

I got my R12 converted to R134A in 2012 in an authorized service center. It cost me around 8K at that time. However after the change, the AC effect goes of every 6 months and I have to do a gas top-up. Anybody having that problem? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.
There seems to be a leak in your system. Gas topup isn't required that frequently. Just for your information, I have got this conversion done in two cars-my 2000 M800 DX and a friend's 2001 Zen MPFI. Both the cars are doing great and when checked recently, both of them had the exact same quantity of the refrigerant which was put in them a year back.

Secondly, while it costed 7k for the conversion in my M800, the bill for the Zen was close to 5.5k including everything. Zen's conversion kit was made by Delphi, whereas M800 got the Subros kit.

I'd recommend you to take your car to a competent MASS/ FNG and get all your refrigerant extracted. Then they fill the system with air/nitrogen at a higher pressure than normal and check for leaks using soap and water. I have also seen some MASSes using a violet coloured gas for the same purpose which is easier to detect. The faulty part is then changed and the correct amount of refrigerant is put back after the entire system is flushed using nitrogen.

Most commonly, gas leaks is found near joints of pipes etc.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 17:13   #80
BHPian

Seems like my 2005 Zen's compressor will have to be replaced. A leak was noticed from it and Aditya suggested replacing it with a new Subros compressor. They quoted 7K for the new compressor, R134 gas filling and labour charges. The question I have is: am I being taken for a ride? Does the Subros compressor cost just that much? Please advise.
Old 12th June 2016, 22:23   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensjoseph View Post
...new Subros compressor. They quoted 7K for the new compressor, R134 gas filling and labour charges. The question I have is: am I being taken for a ride? Does the Subros compressor cost just that much? Please advise.
The price seems to be too low. The labour and gas refill charges for replacing a compressor itself would go up to 3-3.5k, and the compressor would be around 8-10k INR (not sure of the model number).

Use this page to find the authorised Subros service dealer in your city. In case the dealer gives you grief for any reason, please let me know.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:02   #82
BANNED

Re: Zen AC compressor change (R12 to R134)

Basically R134 has similar characteristics to R12 so thermodynamically it should be Ok. This not the case for R22 since R410a / R32 has a very different requirement, namely about 2.5x working pressure.

However, it is far more corrosive, so the oil, seals, etc. will need to be changed. Maybe our AC guru @vigsom; can offer some more insight.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The price seems to be too low. The labour and gas refill charges for replacing a compressor itself would go up to 3-3.5k, and the compressor would be around 8-10k INR (not sure of the model number).

Use this page to find the authorised Subros service dealer in your city. In case the dealer gives you grief for any reason, please let me know.
SS-Traveller, thank you for your advice. I'll contact them and find out the pricing.

When I googled for car a/c compressor, I found the images shown in this link (https://goo.gl/zuwUUF and these cost somewhere between 10k and 12k), but what I was told at Aditya A/C in Koramangala was that this grill like thing would have to be changed (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ac_condenser~pop.html). And they called it a compressor too.

Which one is the real compressor?

[EDIT]: I apologise for jumping the gun. As I dug deeper on google, I figured out that the guys at Aditya wanted me to replace the condensor and not the compressor. They had mistakenly called the condensor a compressor (images here: https://goo.gl/oXERvL)

SS-Traveller, once again, thank you for your advice.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th June 2016 at 09:51. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:14   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I figured out that the guys at Aditya wanted me to replace the condensor and not the compressor. They had mistakenly called the condensor a compressor...
If you have a noise from the compressor and they want to change only the condenser (aka the heat exchanger), I would stay away from such a workshop.

Of course, for the best cooling, and especially while changing to a new compressor, changing the condenser is also recommended. Should cost another 3k or thereabouts for the Zen.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 16:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
If you have a noise from the compressor and they want to change only the condenser (aka the heat exchanger), I would stay away from such a workshop.

Of course, for the best cooling, and especially while changing to a new compressor, changing the condenser is also recommended. Should cost another 3k or thereabouts for the Zen.
I dont hear a noise from the compressor at all.

The A/C wasnt switching on and I took it to Suraksha Koramangala. They opened the lines that hold the A/C gas and they found that the gas had run out. They didnt have anyone to fill or fix the gas issue and thats why I took it to Aditya A/C about a km away. the folks at Aditya A/C took a look, did a pressure test and showed me the gas leaking from the condensor. I could hear a 'hssssss' sound coming from the condensor and they recommended a condensor replacement.

Reckon I do it at Aditya or Suraksha Maruti?
Old 13th June 2016, 19:21   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I could hear a 'hssssss' sound coming from the condensor and they recommended a condensor replacement.

Whoever is offering genuine part and reasonable labor. Hope the leak was confirmed visually using soap solution or such also?
Old 13th June 2016, 20:33   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont hear a noise from the compressor at all.
Ah... my misunderstanding. Apologies.

If it's a Subros product you want, why not go to the Subros Authorized Service Centre? The link I gave you gets us to
  • KAVEE TRANSICOOL # 191, 4th Main,Ambedkar Nagar, White Field, Bangalore,Karnataka-560066
Call them / go and find out their quote. If you don't like something there, please inform me. I've always depended on Subros for my AC issues due to personal reasons.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th June 2016 at 20:35.
Old 14th June 2016, 14:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Ah... my misunderstanding. Apologies.

If it's a Subros product you want, why not go to the Subros Authorized Service Centre? The link I gave you gets us to
  • KAVEE TRANSICOOL # 191, 4th Main,Ambedkar Nagar, White Field, Bangalore,Karnataka-560066
Call them / go and find out their quote. If you don't like something there, please inform me. I've always depended on Subros for my AC issues due to personal reasons.
I got in touch with Kavee Transicool. They're not located at that address (rather they're in Varthur Road opposite TISB), and they are Subros authorized service center. They quoted a price of 5.75K for a new condenser, R134 gas, oil topup and labour charges.

I'm going there on Saturday. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 12th July 2016, 15:16   #89
BHPian

Its been 4 weeks since I got the condenser replaced and I have to report that the air conditioner is working like a charm. No issues faced so far.

I went to Kavee Transicool to get the new condenser and I must say that they have some fairly knowledgeable folks doing a good job. They have a lot of bus and tempo air conditioning equipment which they fit on a regular basis and they carry out maintenance for the same.

The condenser in my car was damaged because a pipe in front of the condenser hit it and there was a minute hole that caused the gas leak. The damaged condenser was removed, the new one fitted, leak tests done, R134a gas filled and all of that cost me Rs. 6250.

By the way, Kavee Transicool is not at the address specified in the Subros site (http://www.subros.com/dealerlocator.html). Instead they are opposite TISB on Varthur Road after Gunjur (https://goo.gl/IRmGRm).
jensjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:18   #90
BHPian

Apologies for bumping an age old thread. I have a Maruti 800 4S MPFi that runs R12 based system and since I do not have the budget right now to do a R134a conversion, the mechanic suggested filling R134a refrigerant in the R12 system. I want to get a check on the feasibility of such an action and if it is worth the effort for temporary relief in hot summers.

Most Viewed