Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 20:17   #1
BHPian

Alto jerking on startup

Hello guys, I am facing a specific problem with my alto, the car jerks while starting in 1st gear mostly after cold engine starts. The problem vanishes when the engine is running regularly and upto the temperature. I give a good 2-3 min idle before moving when I make a cold engine start.AC switched off here.

Here is how it started, last week i drove the car for about 80-85 kms in rain while coming back from Shimla. It was very heavy rain. I was not able to see even 10 meters in front even when the wipers were running full force. Enjoyed the rain though . But after coming back when I started to move next day, the problem occoured and is still persistant.. Please help. My car has jst crossed 31K kms..

Mods: I tried to search but could not find such specific problem.. If there is any thread/post posted earlier, please merge this thread..

Last edited by Eddy : 13th July 2010 at 10:12. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies per post please.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911turbo View Post
Hello guys, I am facing a specific problem with my alto, the car jerks while starting in 1st gear mostly after cold engine starts. The problem vanishes when the engine is running regularly and upto the temperature. I give a good 2-3 min idle before moving when I make a cold engine start.AC switched off here.

Here is how it started, last week i drove the car for about 80-85 kms in rain while coming back from Shimla. It was very heavy rain. I was not able to see even 10 meters in front even when the wipers were running full force. Enjoyed the rain though . But after coming back when I started to move next day, the problem occoured and is still persistant.. Please help. Mycar has jst crossed 31K kms..

Mods: I tried to search but could not find such specific problem.. If there is any thread/post posted earlier, please merge this thread..
Is this a MPFI Alto ??

If yes, use System G @ 1ml/ltr of petrol for atleast 2 tankfull's.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Is this a MPFI Alto ??

Yes, the model is 2007 and is MPFI. I do use Servo ADON regularly on my tank top ups.. 1ml to 1 liter of Petrol. Have been using ADON for last 3K - 4K kms..
Old 13th July 2010, 00:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

after it reaches ideal temperature, it never jerks.?
Old 13th July 2010, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys, I am facing a specific problem with my alto, the car jerks while starting in 1st gear mostly after cold engine ....
Happens to me too, but very rarely, so I thought it was normal as it disappears if I idle 20-30 secs or slightly rev and take off.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked your filters, plugs etc start with air filter. When was the vehicle last serviced?
Old 13th July 2010, 19:23   #7
BHPian

Yes, the filter is clean. I use a K&N free flow air filter and NGK Iridium IX spark plugs. The filter is clean and I guess the plugs do not require any cleaning or gap setting, though I'm not sure about it. Can you put more light onto this? I am suspecting clutch issues here as I drove in heavy rains. Is that possible that water could have entered in clutch area which in turn slips...

Last edited by 911turbo : 13th July 2010 at 19:33.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
after it reaches ideal temperature, it never jerks.?

No once the car is moving and upto the temerature, jerking stops.. I've tried stop and starting several times to check this.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

open the plug caps. check if there is moisture inside them. blow with high pressure air.

Secondly also clean the spark plug and check the gap.
I think its more to do with moisture.

and yes one more thing, make sure there is no cut on the plug cap and the caps are tight so that water does not enter

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 13th July 2010 at 20:49.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

all you have to do check the air filter and sensor.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Is this a MPFI Alto ??

I also have an Alto 2007 which sometimes jerks. How can i find out if its an MPFI or Carb ?

Have never used any additives and was recommended 'normal' fuel by dealer so didnt put any speed, xtrapremium etc.
Reading good reviews about system G over here. Will try soon.
Can someone tell me what is the price ?
Also how do i measure it 1ml/lit ? It will be difficult to measure 30ml for 30 ltr of petrol. does it come in small ml sachets ?
Old 16th July 2010, 15:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
I also have an Alto 2007 which sometimes jerks. How can i find out if its an MPFI or Carb ?

Have never used any additives and was recommended 'normal' fuel by dealer so didnt put any speed, xtrapremium etc.
Also how do i measure it 1ml/lit ? It will be difficult to measure 30ml for 30 ltr of petrol. does it come in small ml sachets ?

All models since start of Maruti Alto is MPFI, no carbs in here.. System G comes in around 250 ml bottle and you need to put it all in your tankfull.. It says that you will see a difference after 2-3 tankfulls. I personlly use Servo ADON, nowhere available in Chandigarh. Had to source it from Delhi. You find markings on the cap of bottle showing 5 ml -10 ml...

And Yes Guys, I tried everything, but my alto still jerks, though the frequency is less but it still does.. Any more suggestions ???
Old 16th July 2010, 17:10   #13
BANNED

hi friends,i just bought a new alto,done just 350kms.when driving in 2nd or 3rd gear in the city it suddenly gives a jerk after every 5 to 6 minutes,as if the fuel flow is being
restricted.what can be the cause for that?
Old 16th July 2010, 18:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the model is 2007 and is MPFI. I do use Servo ADON regularly on my tank top ups.. 1ml to 1 liter of Petrol. Have been using ADON for last 3K - 4K kms..
It obviously is not working, you need to try a different additive. You should start to feel some change or reduction in the 2nd tank use and totally gone by the time 3rd one empties. If not its not working for your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

Yes, 1ml per ltr of petrol, there is a 10ml/5ml measurer on top of the bottle, use that. Its available in most TATA A.S.S and IBP or BP Coco pumps.

Last edited by dadu : 16th July 2010 at 18:33.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have seen similar problem in many cars, mostly its due to moisture in caps, plus spark plugs that need gap adjustment. Moisture in caps is major reason if driven in very heavy rains.

It happens with many cars, I have seen Santro, Alto, even Getz 1.3 face this.
Along with this, clean air filter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
hi friends,i just bought a new alto,done just 350kms.when driving in 2nd or 3rd gear in the city it suddenly gives a jerk after every 5 to 6 minutes,as if the fuel flow is being
restricted.what can be the cause for that?
If this happens when you lift off the throttle, then its the fuel cut off which is very aggressive. As you lift off the throttle, instantly the fuel supply is reduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks