Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
sorry didn't know about that.but what about some type of heat regulated fan at the start so it could boost air flow.
but airflow is not the main thing...
the air should be cooler also
if they put a fan , they maybe pumping hot air from engine bay onto the intercooler.. should get colder air from outside the bay
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:33   #17
BHPian

chetan,

at least as per the guy in the link I have posted, he is definitely not pumping hot air as his temperature measurements have reduced drastically. did you read the article fully ???
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
chetan,

at least as per the guy in the link I have posted, he is definitely not pumping hot air as his temperature measurements have reduced drastically. did you read the article fully ???
nope..I dint read the article as yet.. which article..?
I was replying to pawan's post..thats why I have quoted his post..
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
nope..I dint read the article as yet.. which article..?
I was replying to pawan's post..thats why I have quoted his post..
very sorry dude

I thought you were referring to the fan in the post I made a couple of posts before pawan's with a link. There the guy has fitted a fan on the Intercooler. I thought you were referring to that.

my apologies.
Old 22nd March 2007, 03:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
err...actually, the intercooler is supposed to cool the hot air blown from the turbo, and feed it into the intake manifold...

the indica turbo, and the indigo have tiny engine bays, and intercooler mounting behind the front bumper is next to impossible because of space restrictions (the radiator, chassis, etc. occupy that area). therefore, i'm guessing tata thought it best to place the intercooler above the head; although the current design for intercooler mounting isn't optimal, it does serve it's purpose....but perhaps if the intercooler was mounted in front, behind the bumper, i believe it could have been more efficient; maybe a few more horses could have been squeezed out from the 1.4 powerplant....

but if you're interested in aftermarket fitments, maybe you could go in for a CRYo system...
I agree with most of what you have said, there is a possibility of using a Side mount under the front bumper, obviously would need to cut the bumper in areas to make it fit. Cryo is $$$$, if you want to go a cheaper route you can go Alcohol/Methinol, my brother and I have rigged up Windshield washer nozzles on top of the intercooler and we spray windsheld washer fluid (Alcohol based).
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmDaWg View Post
I agree with most of what you have said, there is a possibility of using a Side mount under the front bumper, obviously would need to cut the bumper in areas to make it fit. Cryo is $$$$, if you want to go a cheaper route you can go Alcohol/Methinol, my brother and I have rigged up Windshield washer nozzles on top of the intercooler and we spray windsheld washer fluid (Alcohol based).
PmDaWg,

Can you please elaborate on how you have done this ??? maybe some pics so we can see how and what you have rigged up ???

also is the spray continuous at regular intervals, or triggered by rpm / speed, or manual ???

thanks,
hell_rider
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:15   #22
BHPian

I'll see if I can take some pics, its fairly simple the GTR has 2 Windsheld Washer Options Front and Rear Windows on 2 seperate Relays. We disabled the Rear Windsheild Washer Option by disconnecting the rear washer hoses at the Resevoir level and put in a rubber hose to go from the resevoir to the Intercooler. It is triggered via the Rear Windshield Washer Button. It sprays when you want it to spray. We notice a change in temp in the air because we've put a Intake Air Temp Sensor in the plenium. Literallly drops 10oC while coasting on the highway.
Old 29th March 2007, 20:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmDaWg View Post
I'll see if I can take some pics, its fairly simple the GTR has 2 Windsheld Washer Options Front and Rear Windows on 2 seperate Relays. We disabled the Rear Windsheild Washer Option by disconnecting the rear washer hoses at the Resevoir level and put in a rubber hose to go from the resevoir to the Intercooler. It is triggered via the Rear Windshield Washer Button. It sprays when you want it to spray. We notice a change in temp in the air because we've put a Intake Air Temp Sensor in the plenium. Literallly drops 10oC while coasting on the highway.
thanks for the clarification PmDaWg.

couple of queries more. will not simple normal water suffice ???

also when i spoke to my mechanic he said that the water sprayed will fall on the silencer /exhaust just below and that is not good.

can you provide some pointers on the above two points ????

also, i too have separate front and rear windscreen washers on my indica. However, i am looking at something that will spray intermittently or at timed intervals as opposed to manually spraying it by pressing a button.

any ideas on that ???

thanks.

Last edited by hell_rider : 29th March 2007 at 20:51.
Old 29th March 2007, 21:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Pawan, Air induction to the engine works in a different way.
Intercooler is like a radiator which is nothing but a heat exchanger.
The hot air from the turbo to the Intake when passed through the Intercooler is cooled.
I would suggest u to dig into old topics where there are serious discussions about the basics of turbo-charging.
what i meant was to have a heat regulated fan some where near the intercooler to cool it down a little.
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
thanks for the clarification PmDaWg.

couple of queries more. will not simple normal water suffice ???

also when i spoke to my mechanic he said that the water sprayed will fall on the silencer /exhaust just below and that is not good.

can you provide some pointers on the above two points ????

also, i too have separate front and rear windscreen washers on my indica. However, i am looking at something that will spray intermittently or at timed intervals as opposed to manually spraying it by pressing a button.

any ideas on that ???

thanks.
Normal Water causes corrosion. We don't even put normal water into our radiators only distilled. Not sure if you guys use windshield washer fluid down there but our fluids contain alcohol, and alcohol evaporates.

Look at this article for more details:

AutoSpeed - Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray - Part 1
Old 14th October 2008, 11:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to bump up this old thread, But I've been wondering, would adding a hood scoop ( say, the one from the scorpio) help matters ?
Old 14th October 2008, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Sorry to bump up this old thread, But I've been wondering, would adding a hood scoop ( say, the one from the scorpio) help matters ?
If you are referring to the Indica then i would definately say YES it would and by a good margin if temperatures could be measured.
The Indica's IC which has the air scoop fixed on the bonnet, i believe, is not sufficient but only serves the purpose. Because the opening towards the front grill is not entirely exposed and part of the grill does hinder smooth air-flow into the duct.
An exterior hood scoop would be much better also coupled with possibly sealing/protecting the IC from the engine heat as it is located above the head.
But i am just concerned about the fact that if one stays in a city where it rains pretty often then rain-water entering the scoop will eventually corrode the IC reducing its life and probably efficiency as-well.

I would,nt think SMIC(Side-mounted IC)would not be a good idea for the Indica as mentioned by somebody earlier, due to lack of space,directing cool air to it and lenght of plumbing.
Old 14th October 2008, 18:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

yup, Its when I think about the rains that i wonder If its a good idea. i wonder how the Scorpio copes with it
Old 14th October 2008, 18:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
yup, Its when I think about the rains that i wonder If its a good idea. i wonder how the Scorpio copes with it
But i believe the Scorpio runs an FMIC set-up, I'll be shocked to know if it is the same set-up as the Indica, because the Scorpio has a lot of space and FMIC set-up is quite possible and apt.

Was just thinking that the Indica/Scorpio/Safari/Swift DDiS all run low boost pressures due to reliability and efficiency, so thats why the ICs on these vehicles(especially Swift and Indica) are smaller and they just do the job as required as these cars are really not performance focused/oriented or maybe a better way to put it wouuld be- not made to be driven hard daily, rather a daily in-traffic commuter at moderate speeds.

Dont really think that proper cold air routing to the IC will boost too many horses. Unless one intends to buy the vehicle for track use.

Last edited by abhik : 14th October 2008 at 18:40.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:38   #30
BHPian

I just checked out a pic of the engne bay of a Scorpio mHawk 2.2L. And it clearly shows the IC mounted on top of the haed.
Apart from the heat, is there any particular advantage of placing the IC there like shorter routing would mean lesser lag. People who have driven the mHawk have said that turbo lag is minimal almost non-existant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks