Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 11:23   #46
BHPian

The intercooler on the 475 TCIC is angled forwards, as the pic I am attaching shows, so it's not quite a traditional top mount like the scorpio. The pic from the manual does not really bring this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercooler placement question-24072008447.jpg  

Old 19th October 2008, 14:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
""But the question of why such a placement of the IC still remains unanswered."

forgive me for my ignorance, but such placement as in 'Good' or 'Bad'?
That is precisely the confusion, that such a placement is good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How do you think rain water is going to damage the intercooler?? Rain water will damage the intercooler as much as rain water will damage the radiator of your car.

Regarding debris getting stuck in between the intercooler fins. Clean the fins when it's dirty or add a fine wire mesh inside the bonnet scoop to prevent debris from getting inside.
I think what he meant was rusting with regards to damage to the IC.
Old 19th October 2008, 15:14   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I think what he meant was rusting with regards to damage to the IC.
IC's are made out of aluminium alloy. So it won't rust.
Old 19th October 2008, 15:31   #49
BHPian

@Sankar-Thanks for the info, i guess then an opening in the hood or scoop would not create a problem.

Just thinking that if such a set-up(above the cylinder head) is good for maybe lesser lag or some other benefit then why dont rally cars run such a set-up where they can easily accomodate a hood scoop etc. All of them run FMIC set-ups.

Why did the Lan Evos have an opening in the hood? Was it for an IC?
Old 19th October 2008, 15:38   #50
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
IC's are made out of aluminium alloy. So it won't rust.
can we confidently say that it wont corrode at all? if thats the case, all of us should be rushing to redirect our windsheild washing reservoirs pumps onto the intercoolers to help with temperature control

@greenhorn- if you find someone good to do your FRP bonnet, please let me know.

Old 19th October 2008, 16:05   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Just thinking that if such a set-up(above the cylinder head) is good for maybe lesser lag or some other benefit then why dont rally cars run such a set-up where they can easily accomodate a hood scoop etc. All of them run FMIC set-ups.
Subaru flat four engines have inter cooler placed on top. Placement of inter cooler is largely based on packaging; under hood space and plumbing ergonomics. Therotically, a shorter plumbing would help in decreasing turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
can we confidently say that it wont corrode at all? if thats the case, all of us should be rushing to redirect our windsheild washing reservoirs pumps onto the intercoolers to help with temperature control
Aluminium will oxidise and the oxidised aluminium will prevent further corrosion of aluminium.
Old 19th October 2008, 16:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

@ everyone, thanks for the inputs, Its just one of those "what if " hypothetical mods which i just need to get out of my head and see if its possible.
@ ripper, If i really were to try this , I think I'd be checking with someone like kitup from coimbatore, but those folks havent responded to any of my queries so far. so thats a dead end too i guess.

I've seen a lot of people with fake hood scoops stuck on, but no functional ones, so no idea myself
Old 19th October 2008, 22:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

You're just going to be over-engineering your engine by this mod,at worst.
Here's an idea.
Buy a used indica bonnet from a junkyard/gujri. Do the mod on it and mount that inlieu of your current bonnet. If you like it or feel any improvements, you can paint it to your colour and continue using it.
If not, you can revert back to your original hood.

Most Viewed