Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2005, 15:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

Intercooler placement question

An intercooler is supposed to cool the air going into turbo, right?
Now in an NA indica, ever felt the top part of the engine? you can actually boil water there. Then why has tata placed the intercooler up there. Granted there is an air scoop for the cool air to rush in, what about low speeds? I did not see any fan there to pull in cool air.
By my reconing the intercooler will be pretty hot. Infact due to all the sound deadening material, anywhere inside the indica hood will be hot.
Techies here, any ideas?
Old 11th November 2005, 15:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

What hoodscoop? I don't see one in the photo's of the Indica Turbo.
Old 11th November 2005, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Its INSIDE the hood. A black FRP or ABS job which starts off at the grille, allegedly to provide a separate air duct for the Intercooler.

That said, the output figures seem to suggest that the I/C is doing its job somehow.
Old 11th November 2005, 16:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Oops, its not exactly a hoodscoop, but the air scoop is just below the bonnet. They suck in air from the top of the front grill
Old 11th November 2005, 16:05   #5
BHPian

The plumbing required to put the intercooler in the front will defeat the purpose of the cooler. It will get heat from the engine. the subaru wrx also has the ic on the top, but has a dedicated hood scoop.
Old 11th November 2005, 16:07   #6
Suryam

Normally Heat transfers in three ways:
- Conduction (one can boil by water condution if they are directly connected)
- Convection
- Radiation.

We can rule out condution of heat from Engine to intercooler as they are not directly connected.

About Radiation: this will not be prominent till one reacher more than 400 DegC.

Now we have left out with convection. We have two modes of convective heat transfers.
-- Hot air blown over Engine top to Intercooler Fins. But this air cannot go easily into intercooler fins(there is obstruction coming via air-duct)
-- Cool air coming via air-duct to intercooler fins(this duct more or less snugly fits with Intercoller cooling fins)

So with the limited space and degree of freedom, they have done some thing which improves current system

Last edited by Suryam : 11th November 2005 at 16:08.

Old 11th November 2005, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
An intercooler is supposed to cool the air going into turbo, right?
err...actually, the intercooler is supposed to cool the hot air blown from the turbo, and feed it into the intake manifold...

the indica turbo, and the indigo have tiny engine bays, and intercooler mounting behind the front bumper is next to impossible because of space restrictions (the radiator, chassis, etc. occupy that area). therefore, i'm guessing tata thought it best to place the intercooler above the head; although the current design for intercooler mounting isn't optimal, it does serve it's purpose....but perhaps if the intercooler was mounted in front, behind the bumper, i believe it could have been more efficient; maybe a few more horses could have been squeezed out from the 1.4 powerplant....

but if you're interested in aftermarket fitments, maybe you could go in for a CRYo system...
Old 11th November 2005, 21:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I also have doubts about the efficiency of that intercooler. There's hardly any space for the air to come in and nowhere really to go.
Impreza also uses a top mount I/C but has a large hood scoop and since its a boxer, the engine is really low and there's lots of room for
an exit path for the air. 05 Mini Cooper S is another top mounter and also has a hood scoop.

The difference between the intercooled and non-intercooled version of the Indigo is not much and that tells you how effective it really is.

They may have packaging issues with a front mount I/C. If you are willing to get a aftermarket front bumper, then youcan try mounting it up front, but the
longer plumbing will adversly affect throttle response and lag.
Old 11th November 2005, 23:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Another reason the intercooler is not placed behind the air dam in the bumper is because of road condition, weather, dust, etc.. in our country which can reduce the life of the intercooler.
Old 21st March 2007, 22:06   #10
BHPian

this was exactly what I have been wondering about. w.r.t. the same, I have found this link:
AutoSpeed - DIY Budget Intercooler Fitment

basically, he's fashioned a fan much like a CPU fan that sits coupled to the intercooler.

Could we have some opinions on the efficiency of this technique ??? Is it being used by anybody ??

opinions please.

Last edited by hell_rider : 21st March 2007 at 22:09.
Old 21st March 2007, 23:42   #11
BHPian

what about this type of hood scoop the intercooler can be mounted after this because it most likely might be a small and the ic can be placed like that of a wrx and the air can go over the ic.is that possible.
Old 21st March 2007, 23:59   #12
BHPian

Could V-Mount be in the picture? Do you have any pics of the engine bay?
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pawan, the current indica turbos and indigos have the same kind of arrangement like the Subarus.
Tata engineers have also designed a scoop under the hood from the grille to the intercooler for efficiency.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:09   #14
BHPian

sorry didn't know about that.but what about some type of heat regulated fan at the start so it could boost air flow.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Pawan, Air induction to the engine works in a different way.
Intercooler is like a radiator which is nothing but a heat exchanger.
The hot air from the turbo to the Intake when passed through the Intercooler is cooled.
I would suggest u to dig into old topics where there are serious discussions about the basics of turbo-charging.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks