Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 00:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?

Hi all,
Today, I planned to change the transmission oil in my Mahindra Duro. There is a gearbox between the CVT and the rear wheel. It has an oil filling cum level plug (which is a screw) and an oil drain plug (which is also a screw). Both these need 10 mm spanner to open.

Both of them were so tight that they did not move at all with ordinary spanner. When I used a longer tomy bar with the spanner, the screw head just got rounded. I even tried with a box spanner but no use.

Can anyone suggest me an easy way to take out the screws?
Old 19th November 2015, 08:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

are turning towards the right side. First ensure that .. once that is clear

1. You have to heat the screw with a blow torch .. not too much but just enough. The heat will expand the thread and then when it slightly cools down there will be slight gap. This is the time you should use your extension bar and remove screw.

2. You can use special tools which have special teeth to open stuck bolts. But I doubt if these are commonly available.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 08:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
When I used a longer tomy bar with the spanner, the screw head just got rounded. I even tried with a box spanner but no use.

Use a vice grip.
Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?-vicegrip.jpg
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 09:43   #19
BHPian

Re: Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi all,
Today, I planned to change the transmission oil in my Mahindra Duro. There is a gearbox between the CVT and the rear wheel. It has an oil filling cum level plug (which is a screw) and an oil drain plug (which is also a screw). Both these need 10 mm spanner to open.

Both of them were so tight that they did not move at all with ordinary spanner. When I used a longer tomy bar with the spanner, the screw head just got rounded. I even tried with a box spanner but no use.

Recently I faced similiar issue while removing one of the tyre from my car. When I brought the alloys, the lug nuts that were put to fix those alloys were of very bad quality it seems. Luckily my car was in a garage at that time (to replace old tyres). So, the garage fellow had to take my car to the nearby welding shop, welded a T joint to that particular nut and used his tool to remove it. I am not sure whether it is so bad in your case, but just thought of sharing my experience.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

If the bolt is accessible, then use the bolt extractor. I bought this over 40 years ago, but it should be available in any large hand tool shop.

Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?-hsc_6562.jpg

Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?-hsc_6563.jpg

Stripped screws : whats your way of dealing with them?-hsc_6564.jpg

The square socket takes any 1/2 inch drive socket accessory - ratchet, T Handle etc. The knurled knob will grip the bolt head so that it can be turned.

I suggest that to prevent further damage, you use WD40 to loosen the jammed threads, before any other action
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 10:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
are turning towards the right side. First ensure that .. once that is clear

1. You have to heat the screw with a blow torch .. not too much but just enough. The heat will expand the thread and then when it slightly cools down there will be slight gap. This is the time you should use your extension bar and remove screw.

2. You can use special tools which have special teeth to open stuck bolts. But I doubt if these are commonly available.
[quote=PatchyBoy;3850958]Use a vice grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Recently I faced similiar issue while removing one of the tyre from my car. When I brought the alloys, the lug nuts that were put to fix those alloys were of very bad quality it seems. Luckily my car was in a garage at that time (to replace old tyres). So, the garage fellow had to take my car to the nearby welding shop, welded a T joint to that particular nut and used his tool to remove it. I am not sure whether it is so bad in your case, but just thought of sharing my experience.
Thanks lurker, PatchyBoy and kavensri.

Yesterday after I went to the bed, I noticed that I was trying to open the screws when the transmission case was hot. I felt trying in cold condition. I immediately got up and gave it a try.

Also, this time, I used another box spanner I had, of the same size.

And it worked ! I opened the plugs and changed the oil. Fitted back the plugs and tightened carefully. Will get new plugs in a day or two and put them on the scooter.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

if it is too stripped, you may even have to weld a 10mm socket to the bolt and then take it off. If your bolt is jammed and head is beginning to get rounded, even WD40 may not help.

nice that you managed to remove it.

Last edited by lurker : 19th November 2015 at 10:30.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:41   #23
BHPian

I would have soldered a small metal piece or another screw head on top of that screw. It can be easily unscrewed then after.

Most Viewed