Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 16:54   #1
BHPian

Brake pedal too high, causing right leg pain

Folks, I don't know if I can call this a Problem, but its definitiely causing me inconvenience & leg pain while driving. The brake pedal in my i-10 is significantly higher than the accelerator pedal. So, I am not able to lift my foot quickly from accelerator and put on brake pedal, just by moving my toe.

I need to slightly twist it as I try not to move the foot and just the toe. This is causing me leg pain after long drives, and feels very uncomfortable. Please help me sort this out
Old 27th July 2010, 17:05   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Folks, I don't know if I can call this a Problem, but its definitiely causing me inconvenience & leg pain while driving. The brake pedal in my i-10 is significantly higher than the accelerator pedal. So, I am not able to lift my foot quickly from accelerator and put on brake pedal, just by moving my toe.

I need to slightly twist it as I try not to move the foot and just the toe. This is causing me leg pain after long drives, and feels very uncomfortable. Please help me sort this out
Well - I never had this problem when driving the i10. Is this the case with all i10s or is it a one off problem?
Old 27th July 2010, 17:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Well - I never had this problem when driving the i10. Is this the case with all i10s or is it a one off problem?
Not sure if this is with all i10s, couldn't see anybody complaining about it in forums!
Old 27th July 2010, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Bus drivers use a short wooden stool to overcome this problem.
maybe you can try that.
But you will have to find a way to fix it to the floor, or else they will jump while the car goes into a bump.

i get pain in my knees while driving on long trips because of the constant need to press the high accelerator pedal. Wonder why cars don't have acclerator pedals like in buses.
They are as big as a shoe bottom with a wheel underneath, and you actually rest your feet on it rather than press it like we do in cars.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think people usually move their foot not just their toe to apply brake. Lift your leg and apply the brake and see.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:51   #6
BHPian

You need to adjust your seating position a little bit backward also while not making your hands overstretch to reach the steering wheel. I dont know if the i10 has adjustable steering column, but it will also help to find the right driving position.

Although adjustable pedals are available in some luxury cars, its not the case with small cars such as i10.
ramkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 20:03   #7
BHPian

If i am not mistaken the brake padel has a adjustment screw, in many cars,
this can adjust the free play and lever level to some extent, but would need more adjustments at back of the lever, You'll need to check with hyundai service if its possible in i10.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
If i am not mistaken the brake padel has a adjustment screw, in many cars,
this can adjust the free play and lever level to some extent, but would need more adjustments at back of the lever, You'll need to check with hyundai service if its possible in i10.
You are right. The paddle can be adjusted. I got it done for my Alto.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

which pedal is adjustable - only the brake one or all the 3?
I feel my Tucson clutch pedal needs to be adjusted but the Hyundai service said it's not designed to be and would be dangerous...
Old 28th July 2010, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Correct, Hyundai does not recommend adjusting this. But I have not faced this problem while driving an i10. May be I rise my foot to apply the break and not move my toe alone. Moreover Santro and i10 have a similar set up of all the 3 pedals (Correct me If I am wrong). I would suggest check this with other i10s and see how different your set up is. If so take it up to the Service Station and get it sorted out.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is also a problem in Old wagonR. The brake,clutch and accelerator pedals are not at same level, with the brake being higher than the accelerator.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
This is also a problem in Old wagonR. The brake,clutch and accelerator pedals are not at same level, with the brake being higher than the accelerator.
All Cars have the same set of arrangement of the 3 pedals This arrangement guarantees, that the throttle is released as the driver brakes. However, it also means that the foot almost always is placed at a distance from the brake, that is, on the accelerator, thus movement time adds to brake reaction time. The foot may be inaccurately placed on the brake resulting in bad braking performance and it may even miss the brake and hit the accelerator. If the accelerator is pressed instead of the brake in a car with automatic transmission it can cause an instance of so called unintended acceleration The driver persists in pressing what he believes is the brake though it is the accelerator. Misapplications of this kind are not so likely with manual transmission because the engine will rush as the clutch is depressed and the driver thus discovers the mistake. To reduce risk for misapplication the pedals are usually mounted at different levels, the brake is higher and closer to the driver.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:34   #13
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think people usually move their foot not just their toe to apply brake. Lift your leg and apply the brake and see.
Thanks, I used to do this way only, but then read on few forums that ideal is to brake without lifting the foot. Now confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
You need to adjust your seating position a little bit backward also while not making your hands overstretch to reach the steering wheel. I dont know if the i10 has adjustable steering column, but it will also help to find the right driving position.

Although adjustable pedals are available in some luxury cars, its not the case with small cars such as i10.
I stretch my seat completely at the back, yes, i10 has adjustable steering column but its not helping me either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
You are right. The paddle can be adjusted. I got it done for my Alto.
Thanks, this looks like the nest option, need to check with A$$!
Old 28th July 2010, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Check out this.

Hi,
Whether the brake pedal is too high or your acclerator pedal is too low.
Check with the clutch pedal and brake pedal,if both are equal then your accelarator pedal might be gone down.

If thats theproblem means you can adjust the lever type.I am suggesting a modification onlyif its not possible to correct the accelerator pedal.

Remove the floor mat and tell ur tinger to make ur accelarator pedal rod to heat.After heating it we can bend it as per our height.This is very simple dont think this too much risky.

Surely this will work.Dont try this for brake pedal.Not advicable.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Hi,
Whether the brake pedal is too high or your acclerator pedal is too low.
Check with the clutch pedal and brake pedal,if both are equal then your accelarator pedal might be gone down.

If thats theproblem means you can adjust the lever type.I am suggesting a modification onlyif its not possible to correct the accelerator pedal.

Remove the floor mat and tell ur tinger to make ur accelarator pedal rod to heat.After heating it we can bend it as per our height.This is very simple dont think this too much risky.

Surely this will work.Dont try this for brake pedal.Not advicable.
Thanks a lot, as you said the accelerator pedal is lower than both clutch and brake! I will get this done.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks