Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 23:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Headlamp problem; Advice required

My Alto developed Headlamp problem recently. Initially light used to go out for a split second ocassionally. Then one night last week light abruptly went out and I stopped to check but before I came out of the car it became alright.

I took the car to a mechanic who diagnozed it as looseness in the coupler below the dash and fixed it and told that next time it repeats the coupler has to be bypassed.

Yesterday night I did a 2 hour non stop drive when I noticed that the combination switch is getting heated up. I even felt that the ignition switch is getting heated lightly.

The problem is only when lights are switched on.

A mechanic near my house told that the steering has to be removed and a thorough check up is needed. But I am not interested in him to open these as I doubt his capability.

I am using only stock halogen bulbs.

Kindly render advice to set right the defect.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This is related to a loose contact somewhere, probably the same coupler your mechanic found. The result is a constant sparking - you'll find burn marks at the fault area - and this is also causing your ignition switch and the multifunction stalk (combination) switch to heat up. Could also be from the wiring attached to the right multifunction stalk switch, in which case the plastic cladding around the steering will need to be removed and checked.
Quote:
the steering has to be removed and a thorough check up is needed. But I am not interested in him to open these as I doubt his capability.
Find a good auto electrician, or take the car to an authorized service centre ASAP. You might get stranded with a short-circuit or a blown fuse soon.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:19   #3
BHPian

How old is your car? This could be a defect with the Combination switch having a bad or corroded contact. If it is still under warranty, better take it to MASS. Even otherwise, get it done at MASS as bad replacements may even lead to a fire hazard.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I can assure you is that removing the steering is not a big deal. It can be done by any person with medium expertise. No need for high expertise.

As for your problem, there is this 'thing' at the end of your light stalk, to control the high beam/low beam. If that's not seated well the entire area could get heated up. Also, it could result in the 'pass' being on when you 'dim' the lights, which in turn means both the high & low beam are on. This needs more current and hence the heat up.

Well, have you checked that your lights remain in low beam, when you 'dim' them?.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One thing I can assure you is that removing the steering is not a big deal. It can be done by any person with medium expertise. No need for high expertise.

Thanks. My worry is on quality spares as small garages do not keep MGP spares

Well, have you checked that your lights remain in low beam, when you 'dim' them?.
Yes it stays in low beam in dim.

Thanks SS Traveller and CNaganathan for their advice.
I will get it attended tomorrow itself.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st August 2010 at 21:50. Reason: addition
Old 1st August 2010, 22:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
My Alto developed Headlamp problem recently. Initially light used to go out for a split second ocassionally. Then one night last week light abruptly went out and I stopped to check but before I came out of the car it became alright.

I took the car to a mechanic who diagnozed it as looseness in the coupler below the dash and fixed it and told that next time it repeats the coupler has to be bypassed.

Yesterday night I did a 2 hour non stop drive when I noticed that the combination switch is getting heated up. I even felt that the ignition switch is getting heated lightly.
hi Rajeev
I have noticed my Indica's headlamp switch heats up a little. This has always been that way - its just that you never might notice it unless you look for it.
What i am suggesting is that, it may be normal too. Just check another alto if possible before going all out to "repair" the problem.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Hi Rajeev,
Had you upsized the HL bulbs any time in the past? Does your HL have a realy after you had upsized the bulbs for higher power?
The OEM combiswitch can bear only that much current, just enought to support 2 X 55/60W HL bulbs. Anything more than this would be a over-load on the electricals.
-Ilango
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Rajeev,
Had you upsized the HL bulbs any time in the past? Does your HL have a realy after you had upsized the bulbs for higher power?
The OEM combiswitch can bear only that much current, just enought to support 2 X 55/60W HL bulbs. Anything more than this would be a over-load on the electricals.
-Ilango
No I haven't upsizd.

I left the car for checkup yesterday AN at a MASS. Feedback today 1100 hrs is loose connection at the coupler connecting combination switch wires to the wiring harness and also they tested for some time with headlamps ON after temporarily connecting and found nothing abnormal. The problem is that the harness side coupler half comes with the complete harness. Expecting final input from the service centre and delivery by evening.

I had told them to have a check up of brakes also and has informed that Front pads needs replacement cost nearly 1K.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hi Rajeev
I have noticed my Indica's headlamp switch heats up a little. This has always been that way - its just that you never might notice it unless you look for it.
What i am suggesting is that, it may be normal too. Just check another alto if possible before going all out to "repair" the problem.

@ Deep Bang - I checked in a three year old Alto and drove it for more than an hour during night. Its headlamp switch was not heating a bit at all.

Meanwhile I got the defect attended at the MASS. The problem was loose connections at the coupler and switch which were rectified. Found OK yesterday night wheen again I travelled for an hour.

I told them to have a check up and got the worn front brake pads changed. There was no seperate charges for the fixing of the light problem.

Thanks to everyone for their reply and time.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Even if the issue is due to some loose end/short circuit in the combination switch, suggest you to fix a relay.
A relay would reduce the load on the combination switch and prevent heating up of the switch and other contact points. Heating-up/sparks and an electrical short circuitry is a deadly combination.

Last edited by jeeva : 4th August 2010 at 12:18.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

The relay is a standard fitment in Alto isn't it?
Old 7th February 2014, 17:33   #12
BHPian

Swift Head Light problem

I have a 2007 Swift and have Philips Rally 100/90W bulbs with cermaic holders and relay. I have been using this system for more than 5 years now without any issue, other than the oocasional fused filaments.

From yesterday i noticed a strange problem. When i switch (twist) the stalk the parking lights come on, then on further twisting the headlights (low beam) is not working. When i keep it twisted at that position and push the stalk down the high beam works and also pulling the stalk up (dipper/pass) high beam comes up. But low beam headlight bulbs won't work.

Although it is would be a BIG conincidence that both the low beam filaments fused, i checked today and on inspection noticed that both the bulbs, both the filaments are intact. I checked all fuses, all of them are okay.

Has anyone faced such a strange issue. Please assist. I have to drive with high beam always on, which i don't do.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:43   #13
BHPian

Re: Swift Head Light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post

Although it is would be a BIG conincidence that both the low beam filaments fused, i checked today and on inspection noticed that both the bulbs, both the filaments are intact. I checked all fuses, all of them are okay.

Has anyone faced such a strange issue. Please assist. I have to drive with high beam always on, which i don't do.
If both the filaments are intact then most probably it is Low beam fuse or a Low beam Relay that is faulty/loose or the wiring has shorted somewhere.

Another thing, get your alternator's regulator and diodes checked- it could be a potential problem for the headlights filament fusing frequently.
Old 7th February 2014, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
If both the filaments are intact then most probably it is Low beam fuse or a Low beam Relay that is faulty/loose or the wiring has shorted somewhere.
I checked all fuses. They are fine. Maybe, relay has developed some problems or any loose contacts.
Old 7th February 2014, 18:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
From yesterday i noticed a strange problem. When i switch (twist) the stalk the parking lights come on, then on further twisting the headlights (low beam) is not working. When i keep it twisted at that position and push the stalk down the high beam works and also pulling the stalk up (dipper/pass) high beam comes up. But low beam headlight bulbs won't work.

Similar thing happened to My santro, culprit was small fuse type pin (don't know what is called) which comes attached to relay wiring which went bad, all them were changed irrespective of working or not and the issue did not crop again. Hope this help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks