Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 22:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Mitsubishi Cedia's maintenance cost

Sun, I don't think fuel pump needs to be replaced. The Vizag dealer told me that two things they have never done to a Lancer. 1. they haven't changed fuel pump of even a single Lancer and 2. they haven't bored engine of even a single Lancer since they set up dealership in 1999, even though there are some Lancers which crossed 5 lakh KMs. Need I say more about Mitsubishi quality?

I drive a 2000 year Lancer D which has done 1.8 lakh KMs and it still runs impeccable. It still starts at half crank even in winter mornings. It is still capable of reaching 180 kph on highways ( but yes, it takes lightyears to get there ). I have spent very little on it other than diesel and routine e.oil changes and of course 1 lakh Km service. It just goes on and on and on. I find it very strange to hear about all kinds of body rattle/starting trouble/break-down issues with new gen cars these days.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 08:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thank you pgsagar for you post. I was little worried about replacing fuel pump but I think, I should wait.

I bought my 2001 lancer 4 years back at 55K and now its 97K. I haven't came across any major issues so far. Overall, its a good car to maintain with very good mileage on long drives.

Last edited by coolclouds : 7th May 2011 at 08:57.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

We are missing a point here, Why cedia needs a fuel pump change at 1 lac kms? Because it supposedly doesnt have a fuel filter or even if it has, its inside the tank asa complete assembly with the pump. Why Lancer doesnt need a fuel pump change? Because it has a fuel filter under the hood which has a recommended change interval of 20k kms.

My cousin's lancer has done 1.45 lac kms and still hasnt had any issues apart from regular wear and tear. For that matter our 5 speed 800 now has 1.7 lac kms on the clock and fuel pump is still intact.

Lastly, 1998-2003 lancer were the best ever built, you will find very few of these have any issues. These were imported as ckd from Japan and same is the case will cedia till now.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 8th May 2011 at 17:43.
Old 9th May 2011, 00:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Lastly, 1998-2003 lancer were the best ever built, you will find very few of these have any issues. These were imported as ckd from Japan and same is the case will cedia till now.
Ok, now I get it. Why my Lancer just goes on and on and on. It's 2000 year make. As I said, I get surprised to see serious engine/starting/break-down issues cropping up with barely 6 month old cars. Sometimes, I think there IS some truth in old saying "they don't build cars like they used to any more".
Old 9th May 2011, 00:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel system clean- 2000
Brake oil- 213.33
Power steering oil- 316.66
All of those above are pure gibberish, some more are there in your list, but there is a 1% chance that would have been necessary. I have not even topped up my PS oil in the 12 year old esteem, brake oil only when the lines are bled, no topping up ever though I keep this oil handy always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Sun, I don't think fuel pump needs to be replaced. The Vizag dealer told me that two things they have never done to a Lancer.
Yeah, you are right, the fuel pumps rarely fail. I had an issue with my fuelling and it was pointed out to the pump and even the motor was replaced, but i still had the problem and then it was diagnosed correctly and the fuel pump relay was replaced. That says a lot about Jap quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I drive a 2000 year Lancer D which has done 1.8 lakh KMs and it still runs impeccable. It is still capable of reaching 180 kph on highways ( but yes, it takes lightyears to get there ).
Yeah, I have seen the Lancers struggle on the highways, more so the petrol ones.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
All of those above are pure gibberish, some more are there in your list, but there is a 1% chance that would have been necessary. I have not even topped up my PS oil in the 12 year old esteem, brake oil only when the lines are bled, no topping up ever though I keep this oil handy always.

Wohh, 12 years and you havent replaced PS oil or even brake oil at one go. That certainly speaks for Japanese quality. Try doing it with any german/american car and consequenes can be tough. Oil has some shelf life and it is better to change it atleast every couple of years if not according to OEM recommendation. For that matter, I change all fluids/filter in my 800 at every 20k kms and engine oil/oil filter every 5k kms. The car has done 1.7 lac kms and its still perfect. In fact for all our cars, I prefer to change fluids/filters as per OEM recommendations. Brake/PS/Transmission oil any ways doesnt cost much.

I can agree that fuel line cleaning may not be necessary but then if no fuel filter/assembly is replaced till 1 lac kms, whats the harm in getting the lines cleaned. The parts cost a bomb and I prefer paying some extra for keeping everything in top notch. Last thing I want is compromise on safety/performance.

The brake/clutch fluid in cedia is common, two cylinders sharing common oil. Last month I felt sudden drop in performance of my cedia and the culprit was clutch oil. It was replaced some 32k kms back and was to be replaced after 40k kms (8k kms more). I replaced the oil, which was found to be in pretty bad condition and the difference was dramatic.

Lastly, petrol lancer has more power than the diesel. I personally havent witnessed lancer petrol struggling on highways. Have driven it over 5-6k kms on different highway trips.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 9th May 2011 at 01:31.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oil has some shelf life and it is better to change it atleast every couple of years if not according to OEM recommendation.
I understand what you are saying, oil certainly has a shelf life, it has no relevance to Japanese quality. At least in the last 8 years of my ownership, the PS oil has not been replaced or topped up, pardon my ignorance I do not even know that there is a way of draining this oil, there must be I am sure.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I understand what you are saying, oil certainly has a shelf life, it has no relevance to Japanese quality.
May be, but I have always believed that Japs can take more abuse (improper service intervals, ignorant drivers stretching issues without care, etc) than the other. It can be because I have spent major time till now with Japanese cars. But I pray, I spend more time in future with Zermans.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 9th May 2011 at 01:44.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be, but I have always believed that Japs can take more abuse (improper service intervals, ignorant drivers stretching issues without care, etc) than the other. .
That I totally agree, I have been a culprit and have had narrow escapes.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

This may not be the right thread but frankly I don't know which one is the right one for the following queries:
1. Which car cover should I be looking to buy for Cedia? What is the cost?
2. Any Cedia owners from Pune on TBHP?
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:09   #41
BHPian

I recently got the 18m / 30,000 km service for my Cedia. The total cost was approx. Rs 2750/- including oil, oil filter, consumables and labour.

Most of the stuff seems to be okay, but what I don't understand is that they've charged ~Rs 800 under labour for the 30,000 km service. Apart from this they've charged extra for the Wheel balancing, alignment, disc brake pad assembly "remove and reinstall" all of which come to almost Rs 700.

Is this normal? IMO, these are part of the standard 30,000 km check up. Shouldn't all these be covered within the Rs 800/-?
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer
Is this normal? IMO, these are part of the standard 30,000 km check up. Shouldn't all these be covered within the Rs 800/-?
Alignment/balancing is always charged extra over normal labour. This is same across all OEMs. For eg, VW charges 500 for alignment and 500 plus weights for balancing of polo. Labour is 1200 separate. So total is around 24-2500.

Asian motors (mitsubishi) charges 350 for alignment. Balancing extra, don't know exact cost.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd May 2011 at 19:35.
Old 24th July 2011, 19:55   #43

@ Sun. I picked up a 2006 Cedia done about 52K in pune.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, petrol lancer has more power than the diesel. I personally havent witnessed lancer petrol struggling on highways. Have driven it over 5-6k kms on different highway trips.
Spot on. The Diesel Lancer struggles at higher revs since its power is limited. The Lancer P does well upto 150kmph if you're in the right gear. It can reach much higher speeds but then it takes a while. It could do with some extra grunt to match the brilliant chassis and handling though.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th July 2011 at 23:40.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 11:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcam View Post
@ Sun. I picked up a 2006 Cedia done about 52K in pune.
Congratulations!

Have a wonderful time with your 'new' car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks