Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Advice-Help Need Santro collecting water

Hi All,

I need some assistance; my 2003 Santro Xing seems to collect water and the front co-passenger side carpet seems to get wet every monsoon season.

Following is already done -

Checked A/C drain pipe is out
Fully removed the carpet and have it dried out twice (expensive affair)
Checked under body for any holes

Any long term owners/ experts please suggest what to look for both *** and mechanic unable to isolate the problem.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:17   #2
BHPian

check door lining, i think, the water is getting inside the cabin from old/leaked door lining and is getting inside cabin.
the water must be getting into door trims, going thru door lining along door and then collecting near the hinge and then getting inside the cabin.
check towards the end under dashboard which has that wheel curve, thats the point which should be most wet and should confirm the leakage I am talking about.

As you have checked for holes, I am assuming the rubber seals which are on floor holes are intact.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:05   #3
BHPian

Please check for any water collection in the door cavity as well. A colleague of mine had the exact problem you described. Turned out to be the door liner. Water in the door was due to gap in the window beading. Vehicle is an Indica and the A.S.S kept the vehicle for about a week running some water tests in a closed room (or some such thing).
Old 5th August 2010, 21:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you wade thorough water by any chance recently.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

@LL4X4: You'll have to some sherlock holmes here. I had same problem in my M800. So sat in the car when it was really downpouring. Found water falling from behind the glove compartment & the culprit was windshield. So just got bthe rubber packing of windshield changed, alongwith some silicone (on my insistence) & VOILA.
As ghpk advised do get door lining checked too.

Raab Rakha.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
Hi All,

I need some assistance; my 2003 Santro Xing seems to collect water and the front co-passenger side carpet seems to get wet every monsoon season.

Following is already done -

Checked A/C drain pipe is out
Fully removed the carpet and have it dried out twice (expensive affair)
Checked under body for any holes

Any long term owners/ experts please suggest what to look for both *** and mechanic unable to isolate the problem.
  1. Did you change the windscreen recently?If not fixed properly,this is a potential path for rain water
  2. Have you checked if the coolant level in the expansion bottle drops?If yes,your heater coil must have gone phut.
  3. Is the AC in fresh air mode or recirculation mode?Keep it in recirc. and check

Last edited by vigsom : 5th August 2010 at 21:46. Reason: addition
Old 5th August 2010, 23:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
  1. Did you change the windscreen recently?If not fixed properly,this is a potential path for rain water
  2. Have you checked if the coolant level in the expansion bottle drops?If yes,your heater coil must have gone phut.
  3. Is the AC in fresh air mode or recirculation mode?Keep it in recirc. and check
1. I don't think so. Windscreen will wet the dashboard first.

2. Coolant leaks is quite distinct green color.

3. Routing of external air in let is made so that water does not enter the coil or fan housing.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Flushing Needed

Quote:
my 2003 Santro Xing seems to collect water and the front co-passenger side carpet seems to get wet every monsoon season.
Do you park your car below a tree?

Same problem in my Car - The problem is in the run down of the rain water, right below the windscreen, the black perforated plastic thingy.
The water is supposed to drain off from here, but this gets choked and water gets collected between the dash and the engine bay.

Solution - Open the hood, the hinges upon which the bonnet rest, there is a gap here. (both sides) I used a stem from the coconut leaf to insert and clear the blockages. Huge chinks of dried flowers , leaves in it.

This was done in 2007. No problems since. Avoid parking below tree with small leaves.

All the best
Old 6th August 2010, 12:24   #9
BHPian

^^^

Any connection between water inside car & parking below a tree ?
Old 6th August 2010, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
1. I don't think so. Windscreen will wet the dashboard first.

2. Coolant leaks is quite distinct green color.

3. Routing of external air in let is made so that water does not enter the coil or fan housing.
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses... after reading all your responses please review this info maybe it will help me get more responses.

The problem started when, I was parking in the open and yes this is right under a tree with small leaves.

Recently I have been driving thru potholes (read roads) filled with water

I use A/C most times and by default it is always in the re-circulation mode (not sure if relevant but the windshield seem to form water droplets quickly)

The coolant seem to often need replenishment, almost dips to minimum level
Coolant seems
Old 7th August 2010, 11:01   #11
BHPian

@WDM007 - My drains of my car were choked due to these leaves being accumulated, add water in small does and they became a clog.
On a day of heavy showers the water could not flush out at normal rate, and hence come inside the car, upon taking a left turn, my co-passengers feet would get wet.

@ LL4X4 - driving thru potholes with water, will not cause the problem as you are facing, gravity will take the water you wade down immed, and will remain below flooring of car, not come from above it.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:52   #12
BHPian

Een I had the same problem, the reason for water comming in side the cabin at the co passenger side is the air intake openning just below the co passenger wiper. Its the passage for air to be sucked in when we put the air con in fresh mode.
This is a common problem with zen, wagen R and santro. the openning tends to get rusted and when during heave rains the water sweeps in.
This openning is where the windshield ends and ther are gaps for directing rain water to fall on the road. this gaps are were the wipers are fixed. I hope I have been able to explane it.
I have this problem in my zen.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:20   #13
BHPian

^^ Rightly said.
I also have a 2003 santro xing. Never met with any accident or anything. But still in heavy downpours, water comes to the front passenger sided from somewhere behiend the dashboard.
Earlier, I also used to park my car under a tree. due which, during rains water used to get stored in a space just below the windshield. And when taking turns, it used to come in. Got it checked, the culprits were the drainage holes. All clogged with leaves and twigs.

Now water doesn't get stored there. But yes during heavy rains, water does come in. Checked it with a lot of people having the car. Older xings are having this problem.

Let me now if anyone finds a solution to this.

Cherrs,
Abhi
Old 8th August 2010, 08:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
^^ Rightly said.
I also have a 2003 santro xing. Never met with any accident or anything. But still in heavy downpours, water comes to the front passenger sided from somewhere behiend the dashboard.
Earlier, I also used to park my car under a tree. due which, during rains water used to get stored in a space just below the windshield. And when taking turns, it used to come in. Got it checked, the culprits were the drainage holes. All clogged with leaves and twigs.

Now water doesn't get stored there. But yes during heavy rains, water does come in. Checked it with a lot of people having the car. Older xings are having this problem.

Let me now if anyone finds a solution to this.

Cherrs,
Abhi

...So do we conclude this as a design issue and that there is no permanent fix?

I have got all the 'checks' done as advised by all but - during heavy downpour the carpet is soaking wet!!!

Anyone who found a permanent fix or any next best solution please advise.

Many Thanks.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
...So do we conclude this as a design issue and that there is no permanent fix?
I have yet to encounter water leakage in my Santro (2003, Xing, was affected by the flooding in Mumbai in 2005), and I have been driving it through the heavy downpours in Mumbai the past few weeks. Not a single leakage from anywhere, nor have I picked up water from underbody.

I don't think it's a design issue. It could be a defect left on by faulty work done on the windshield or door beading/lining. If you have already checked the underbody and made sure there are no holes (or if there are, they should be sealed up with gromets), and if other methods have failed, I suggest you sit in the car when the leakage is likely to occur and feel with your hands for the place from where the water may be seeping inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks