Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 12:50   #1

2002 Santro 1.1L service - engine overhaul ?

hi,
I have a 2002 Santro LS and I am going to get it serviced this week. It has done 1.1L kms : I get the oil changed (BP MAK Elite) changed regularly.

Over the past some time, I am noticing that the fuel consumption has increased drastically and sometimes I can smell petrol when the car is idling.
One possibility is that the silencer, etc. needs overhauling... but I was also curious whether I should get the engine overhauled anyway.

Any recommendations on whether engine overhaul at 1L kms is recommended - any idea of costs ?

In addition, what are the recommended servicing that needs to be done at this mileage (I have already read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...checklist.html) - anything that is a must do ?
Old 7th August 2010, 16:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@sandys: The symptoms you are mention don't warrant an engine overhaul. If you see a lot of smoke under acceleration and/or heavy oil consumption with lack of power/pick up then I suggest having your engine checked. Why spend a large amount of money overhauling the engine when not required.

I suggesting checking the gaskets etc in the fuel lines including the Fuel injection system.
Old 7th August 2010, 17:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My WagonR 2006 model has done 1,15,000Kms and from my experience I don't think an engine overhaul would be required at all.
Best would be to get the throttle body and the injectors cleaned if the accelerator response is sluggish.
Also, you may get a compression test done though I rule out the possibility of a weak compression at this stage if the car is well maintained.When I asked my service advisor for a compression check (generally as the ODO had passed 1lakh) and revving the engine and TDing my car after service told me that he doesnt foresee a weak compression for the next 50k Kms.
Old 7th August 2010, 17:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

An engine overhaul symptoms will include;
1. Excessive oil consumption
2. White/blueish smoke
3. Drop in pick up.
Also.
Please check if your car has these symptoms.

Also, I believe your car should be a carburetor model, and hence the excessive fuel consumption could be due to a faulty air/fuel ratio. (smell of petrol on idling). Giving your car for a complete check up/service should also help matters.
Old 7th August 2010, 22:52   #5

No - I think it is an MPFI engine (Hyundai - Santro LS - (DX))

I am planning on getting the throttle body and injectors cleaned. I 'll take up what @4x4addict said and get the gaskets checked.

Anything else that is adivsable to get done - should I get a engine flush done. While searching on team-bhp, I saw a lot of posts that said that a flush should be done and vice-versa. What are your opinions?

thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks