Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 17:59   #1
BHPian

Under the ALTO hood

Hi all,

It was a month since i last cleaned my hood so checked it again today.
To my utter dissapointment it was really very dirty again. Another 30min spent on cleaning.
But i decided to have a look and see what i could make out about the different parts. I didnt know much at all so thought of asking some of the gurus here.

1. As seen in pics below My battery is an exide freedom one that came as OE.
It has min and max level for water in battery but the plastic is too opaque to see what level the water inside is at!
Is this poor design or am i missing something? How do i know if i need to fill water and if so how much to fill?

2. The other thing that really struck out were these orange things next to the engine. Are these fuel Injectors? Why do they look like Airplane Black Box

Looking forward to answers and learning something more about my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Under the ALTO hood-photo1179.jpg  

Under the ALTO hood-photo1182.jpg  

Old 12th August 2010, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Usually the water does not get evaporated much. In my Swift and Alto I had not topped up on my own except during periodic service which is 10K km usually.

However it is advisable to check atleast once in in three or four months. Use a torch light on one side and from the opposite side you can get the clear level.

The caps can also be opened, with a coin is recommended, and levela ascertained at least once in six months.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:53   #3
BHPian

Applying petroleum jelly on the battery terminals would help prevent corrosion at the terminals.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:02   #4
BHPian

Yes those orange thing are injectors.

Regarding battery water level, use a torch. Open all the caps using coin then use torch light to peep inside and you can see Max and Min red color lines from "inside" the battery and gauge it with level of water. Keep a 50ml disposable plastic syringe for filling water.

Last edited by Hashim : 12th August 2010 at 20:04.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Orange things are injectors, look like Denso. They mount at a weird angle in an Alto, almost spraying perpendicular to the direction of airflow.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Apply petroleum jelly mildly over the terminals as well as the holding clamp bolt and nut area. The picture clearly indicates rust due to sulphating. The acidic water is leaking out as seen from the picture which is causing the rusting. Clean the battery top also.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:00   #7
BHPian

@guptavis, your car looks pretty soiled in such short time?
In my case the service advisor asked me to cough up Rs.1000/- to get the engine especially coated to prevent corrosion by sea-side air. At first I resisted this but am glad to have got it done. And of course for the battery thing people have already given you good suggestions.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:07   #8
BHPian

You can simply open the caps with use if a coin and top-up the liquid.

Also be careful while applying Gel to the terminals. It should be screwed in tight enough otherwise you will face issues on bumps or everytime the pincers move.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:30   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the replys everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
However it is advisable to check atleast once in in three or four months. Use a torch light on one side and from the opposite side you can get the clear level.
I had also checked for the first time ever in 3 years. Opened with a coin but could not find if i needed to top up or not. There is no level marking inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Applying petroleum jelly on the battery terminals would help prevent corrosion at the terminals.
Where do i get it from? is there a good brand you recommend? will vaseline do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Regarding battery water level, use a torch. Open all the caps using coin then use torch light to peep inside and you can see Max and Min red color lines from "inside" the battery and gauge it with level of water. Keep a 50ml disposable plastic syringe for filling water.
Thanks, will try in a day or two. too tired to go do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Apply petroleum jelly mildly over the terminals as well as the holding clamp bolt and nut area. The picture clearly indicates rust due to sulphating. The acidic water is leaking out as seen from the picture which is causing the rusting. Clean the battery top also.
Where do i get it from? is there a good brand you recommend? will vaseline do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
@guptavis, your car looks pretty soiled in such short time?
In my case the service advisor asked me to cough up Rs.1000/- to get the engine especially coated to prevent corrosion by sea-side air. At first I resisted this but am glad to have got it done. And of course for the battery thing people have already given you good suggestions.
Its the rains i guess, have to drive 15KM to work and some roads have waterlogging. am in chandigarh, nowhere near a sea, so sea-side air is no problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
You can simply open the caps with use if a coin and top-up the liquid.
Also be careful while applying Gel to the terminals. It should be screwed in tight enough otherwise you will face issues on bumps or everytime the pincers move.
Already opened with a coin but didnt know how much to fill.
Do i need to remove the terminals to put on Gel? Which gel do i put on?

Thanks for all the suggestions, will act on them probably on Sunday which is off this time for a change.
Will post pics in a couple days of the inside of the battery after removing the caps.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:09   #10
BHPian

Yes use Vaseline petroleum jelly only, it works well.
Old 14th August 2010, 08:48   #11
BHPian

Petroleum jelly would be available in any medical shop.
You need to ask for white petroleum jelly.
I think Vaseline is a brand and they have different kinds of such (skin care) products. Not sure though.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

@guptavis: Petroleum Jelly or even Grease should do the job. Basically all you need is to insulate the terminals from moisture so that corrosion doesn't happen.

As regards to the battery, you can go to any battery shop and ask for sp.gravity suction pipe. Should be about 50 bucks max. Open the caps and check the electrolyte specific gravity with it before adding any more distilled water. The correct specific gravity is about 1.288 ~ 1.3. This is in battery fully charged condition. If its higher than that, you need to add some distilled water upto the Max mark on the battery.

You will also get this distilled water bottle from any battery shop /Petrol Pump.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 14th August 2010, 18:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't ever use grease because the grease will melt and seep through the filler caps polluting the electrolyte. Jelly is available with battery dealers.

Toclean the deposit mix ordinary baking soda with water and wipe clean with the cloth damp with this solution. Take care to ensure that it does not fall into other areas.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:06   #14
BHPian

Thanks again for the replies everyone.
tried the torch trick, still could not see any lines on inside of battery or water level from outside of battery. Clicked a picture with my phone but it does not show anything in the dim light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As regards to the battery, you can go to any battery shop and ask for sp.gravity suction pipe.
I guess i will have to do this, or maybe ask the A.S.S to check it at the next service.

Thanksfor the quick suggestions and advice everyone. Will keep asking any other doubts that i have.

PS: I was thinking of doing a ECU reset by removing the -ve terminal of the battery. But i couldnt get the nut to open with a PLAS. Its sort of rusted i think. But i guess ill have to leave that to the A.S.S as well !
Old 16th August 2010, 01:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

PS: I was thinking of doing a ECU reset by removing the -ve terminal of the battery. But i couldnt get the nut to open with a PLAS. Its sort of rusted i think. But i guess ill have to leave that to the A.S.S as well !
Don't fix it if its not broken.
Ask M.A.S.S. to check if you need a ECU reset.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks