Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 11:07   #16
BHPian

Autocop guy came last saturday and fixed my sensor issue and then when i asked him to resolve the doors being unlocked when switching off the engine, he said its by default, then i told him, it doesnt happen on my swift unless i remove the keys, for that he told he can configure in such a way, that at accessory switching mode he can program this to unlock door and not when we switch off the engine, i said ok and do it, for that he told he needs to remove all cables and lot of work and i was busy that day so told him to come another day.

so girishbhat, you can solve this problem by programming your security device to unlock doors at accessory switch mode thereby it wont unlock the doors even if u switch off the engine.

Good luck
Old 16th August 2010, 11:54   #17
girishbhat

@JustCause: My nippon remote is same as this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0042009244.jpg

@johnruben: Thanks for the info.

Old 16th August 2010, 15:58   #18
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Well there are lots of answers for this. It is dangerous in case of an accident and the electricals fail.

Wonder why all 4 power windows is not suggested? Why would they design it the way it is? why wouldn't they manufacturers allow the doors to be locked throughtout? I suppose before bringing a product they do a lot of research and tests.

Anyways, there can be a long debate on this. I just gave an advice, it is up to people to take it or not.
+1

@ girishbhat - I would like to add that in case of a fire time is of the essence. If you end up in accident, where you are unconscious and the car catches fire and people need to smash windows first to get to help then you hardly stand a chance.

Also switching off the engine at every traffic light is not saving you any fuel unless it is quite long periods. Additionally it wears out quicker the starter motor.
Old 16th August 2010, 23:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had a Maruti 800 with Nippon central locking installed, and now have a Santro Xing with the Cobra central locking installed. Both systems are a little different, as in the Maruti, the driver side lock operates all the door locks, while in the Santro the driver side lock does not operate any other door locks.

With the Maruti when I had to switch off the engine at signals, I would turn off the ignition and then simply lock the driver side door, so all doors stayed locked. With the Santro, I switch off the engine and then switch back to ignition on position quickly. This way the doors never get unlocked. The only downside is the ignition has to be on, but if you can turn off all the other electrical appliances in the car while waiting, it shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 17th August 2010, 06:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I had a Maruti 800 with Nippon central locking installed, and now have a Santro Xing with the Cobra central locking installed. Both systems are a little different, as in the Maruti, the driver side lock operates all the door locks, while in the Santro the driver side lock does not operate any other door locks..
That is what called central locking system. All 4 doors are operated through the driver's side. All autocops work the same way, they just lock the driver's side window, rest get locked automatically. If the driver's side lock does not control all other doors, the car does not have central locking system.

Your Santro is not equpped with Central locking? Strange
Old 19th August 2010, 09:36   #21
girishbhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
+1

@ girishbhat - I would like to add that in case of a fire time is of the essence. If you end up in accident, where you are unconscious and the car catches fire and people need to smash windows first to get to help then you hardly stand a chance.
This case un-avoidable. The doors will be unlocked 'only' if the key turned, no in case of engine-off by any other means.

Quote:
Also switching off the engine at every traffic light is not saving you any fuel unless it is quite long periods. Additionally it wears out quicker the starter motor.
Cars idling at crossings burn Rs 1,000cr a year in Delhi - Pollution - Environment - Home - The Times of India
The analysis say it saves lots of fuel, if it is more than 14 seconds in signal.

Old 19th August 2010, 10:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
This case un-avoidable. The doors will be unlocked 'only' if the key turned, no in case of engine-off by any other means.
Accidents only happen when the engine is turned ON I suppose.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite completely true.

@GirishBhat, I suggest you explore everything else before going for a separate switch to kill the engine. I have gone through the situations you have described (as in travelling alone, with a laptop etc. but no untoward incident so far). As described earlier, in my M800 I used to switch off the engine (but leave the ignition on), and manually lock my door which would ensure all the doors remained locked. Soon it became a habit and other than the loud noise the locking/unlocking makes, it was smooth sailing.

Also whenever I travelled with my laptop, I either kept the bag in the boot (where it's almost completely secure), or if I had to keep it in the cabin, I placed it on the floor along the co-passenger seat. Shopping bags or other valuable articles I have shoved on the floor in the rear compartment too. That makes it nearly impossible for anyone to lift it easily, even if you were to get out of the car for some reason.
Old 20th August 2010, 06:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Not quite completely true.
Oh well you mean, the engine is OFF and handbrake in ON and the car goes and hits something and a nasty accident happens making the electrical fail?
Old 20th August 2010, 23:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

@googleman,
I just meant that accidents can happen anytime to anyone, whether your engine is on or not.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
@googleman,
I just meant that accidents can happen anytime to anyone, whether your engine is on or not.
That is correct. But chances are more when the car is in motion. So we should not opt to keep our doors locked always, specially when you are relying on an electrical or a motor.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
@JustCause: My nippon remote is same as this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0042009244.jpg

@johnruben: Thanks for the info.
Very sorry for the delayed reply. I have located my Nippon manual & here's the relevant info you need to turn off this feature.
Need advice. Engine switch-off button.-nippon.jpg
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Autocop guy came last saturday and fixed my sensor issue and then when i asked him to resolve the doors being unlocked when switching off the engine, he said its by default, then i told him, it doesnt happen on my swift unless i remove the keys, for that he told he can configure in such a way,

Good luck
johnruben, I think the autocop guy meant to say this by using the word "configure in such a way".

These days most of the new cars come with a switch in the ignition keyhole which helps unlocking the car door as the key is removed. This is to prevent the nuisence of the door getting unlocked whenever engine is switched-off at signal stops.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:37   #29
girishbhat

Quote:
That is true.

I was trying to replay to bellow statement.
Quote:

What I am trying to tell here is, In case of accident[while car engine is on] if the engine switches off or not [after the accident] the doors will remain closed. So people have to smash windows to open the doors. This is un-avoidable unless you have a mechanism to open the door locks in case of accident, but that is also dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Very sorry for the delayed reply. I have located my Nippon manual & here's the relevant info you need to turn off this feature.
Attachment 411828
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by girishbhat : 25th August 2010 at 16:42.

Old 26th August 2010, 11:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Attachment 411828
Cool

Is it same for Autocop too ?
sounds like a DIY

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks