Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 18:37   #1
BHPian

'07 Skoda Superb: Repeat Transmission Failures. In workshop for 3 months

Hello,

I'm a new contributor to team-BHP, but have been following this forum as a reader for the past 3-4 years. Whenever I read anything about Skoda, I used to cringe - because I was having a similar experience with my Skoda Superb on the side. I tried my best to resolve the matter with Skoda - have been writing to them for 3 years now - but still am stuck. I wanted to share my experience with fellow team-bhpers here, and ask for advice about how I can proceed from here. I have dedicated a page to my car over at MySuperb.in, which has some key statistics about the problems I have had with my car.

I had a very helpful phone call with Harish Kanchan recently, and he was very supportive and suggested that I detail my story here for all to see.

The summary is this - we purchased a silver superb in 2007 from Giriraj Motors in Gurgaon. The car had a check engine light on within a week - and since then, the car has not been fixed. Using techniques of jugaad, the dealer is able to make the car run - for about two weeks - before it has to go back to the dealership. Its been more than 3 years now. We've written to everyone. We've faxed everyone. We've emailed everyone - and we have appealed and begged everyone at Skoda for help. Very politely the entire time, and with much restraint.

Soon after I took delivery, recurring problems have been observed in Oil-Coolant system, and the engine has been dismounted from the Chassis seven times already.Problems started within a few days of taking delivery. First, oil leakage was observed from the Engine sump. Then we were shocked to find that gear box oil and coolant had got mixed up. This took a long time to fix, and has been recurring every few months, and many major, critical and expensive parts have been changed, including :

1. Engine Oil Cooler
2. Radiator
3. Gear Oil cooler

Now, Oil pump and Torque converter have been changed, and the problem is still not fixed.

Even if they fix the problem, I am sure some thing will go wrong again, and it will be back in the workshop soon. The car has barely covered 50,000 Km, as I am reluctant to take this car on long drives, even to Delhi from Gurgaon, as it is so unreliable. Most of the time, I have used the car for commuting from home to office, both of which are within 10 Kms from the workshop of Ms Giriraj Motors. Every time the warning light went on, it was close to the workshop, and I immediately stopped the vehicle, informed the dealership, and did not drive it any further. I am sure the company engineers can verify and vouch for the care taken in driving and maintaining the vehicle by me and my driver.

We are convinced that :

1. The car had major manufacturing defects to start with which the Quality Assurance team had failed to detect before delivery.
2. The Dealership does not have the kind of people, environment, systems, training, etc; to undertake major repairs.
3.The problems I am now facing are the result of poor handling in the workshop, and related to previous problems

The car is still with the dealership. We understand that it is worth Rs. 8 Lakh now, and have found out that if we sell it for parts, then it will be worth more - if we stop driving it now and screwing it up more.

Can someone please advise as to what I can do further from here - is all hope lost? Or should I be trying and requesting and begging the company for help still?

OR should I spend ~1-2 lakh rupees on viral marketing of my website MySuperb.in ?
Old 15th August 2010, 19:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

What version is the car?

Sounds like the radiator is one of those Valeo ones where the auto transmission fluid sits within the radiator matrix. Due to corrosion, the liquids mix. I hope the gear box is not damaged.

Wht are the other faults ? What happens when te check engine light comes on? Tell us more
Old 15th August 2010, 19:57   #3
BHPian

Hi Ajmat,

Thanks for your response.

The gearbox is indeed damaged now. Some time last year, we found that the coolant and gear box oil had mixed, and this is a recurring problem. The company at that time flushed the entire systems, and put the car back together.

Soon after, Then the radiator got damaged. Basically, the fluids in the car got mixed - and because of that now, the automatic transmission gearbox is damaged because of the mixing of different fluids at different points of the life of the car (while it was in warranty), starting from the first week.

Chronologically, this is the order in which the parts were damaged, and replaced:

1. Radiator (replaced under warranty)
2. Engine Oil Cooler (replaced under warranty)
3. Gear Oil Cooler (replaced)
4. Gearbox (damaged but not replaced yet - damaged, but the car is in the workshop for 3 months - the dealership has sent the gearbox to Aurangabad for something)

To answer your question about the check engine light, there are several scenarios where the check engine light has come on. In some cases, the car suddenly stops. In other cases, it loses its power almost completely. Because of this recurring problem, we don't drive the car far from our house (which is next to the dealership). Everytime there is a problem, we immediately send to the dealer - either towed, or driven slowly.

This is the older model - 2007. This is the interim model that was released between the original superb and this new 7-star superb. Ie - the model without the seat warmers etc.

Thanks for your help - it is much appreciated.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@mudittandon:

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Since the car has already been used for 3 years and 50K miles, best to take a hit in the depreciation, sell the car and move on man. You can fight these idiots but it will not be worth the heart ache. The best you can do is to warn others never to make the same mistake.

If you hold on to the car, it may end up becoming a money pit and you may end up making a bigger loss than on the depreciation.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Since the car has already been used for 3 years and 50K miles, best to take a hit in the depreciation, sell the car and move on man. You can fight these idiots but it will not be worth the heart ache. The best you can do is to warn others never to make the same mistake.
I disagree. Do not do to anyone what Skoda has done to you. You don't want the curses of another innocent guy, do you?
I am neither a technical, nor a legal expert, but it seems to me to be a clear case that Skoda MUST replace your car. I mean, we are not talking about a broken bumper here are we? Its not clear from your post if you have tried for this, consumer court or other legal means (but then we also know, just ask Harish, it will not be easy). I just hope you have not spent any money on these repairs so far.

Disclaimer: I own a Skoda.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@mudittandon:

Sorry to hear about your situation.

If you hold on to the car, it may end up becoming a money pit and you may end up making a bigger loss than on the depreciation.
Yep - True, your points are well taken - but the problem is that the car has to be running to sell it - right now, its been with the company for 3 months - now because of a gearbox problem -- so I'm stuck!! If it was in running condition, and one where I can honestly sell it to another user, then there's nothing I'd do faster than to sell this white elephant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I disagree. Do not do to anyone what Skoda has done to you. You don't want the curses of another innocent guy, do you?
I am neither a technical, nor a legal expert, but it seems to me to be a clear case that Skoda MUST replace your car. I mean, we are not talking about a broken bumper here are we? Its not clear from your post if you have tried for this, consumer court or other legal means (but then we also know, just ask Harish, it will not be easy). I just hope you have not spent any money on these repairs so far.

Disclaimer: I own a Skoda.
Hi - Yep I agree with you, thats why we are not looking to sell it off just yet - moreover, even if we try to sell it, theres little chance that we can fool someone so bad - the service record of the car leaves little doubt about its history!

This is a case that's 3 years old - but it was reported to the company within a week of purchase of the car - so while I agree that the car is now 3 years old - thats only because the company has dragged its feet for so long! I have (documented) correspondences with the company at each step, along with detailed service records in my favor.

I have indeed spent money on these repairs - the warranty only covers parts and labor - when the engine fluids need to be replenished even if the car is in warranty, (~80K-1L each time), then thats not covered under warranty. Moreover, now the car is out of warranty.

Legal is not an option that I want to pursue - at least at this stage. Thats why I write to you - to ask for advice - what can I do? What do you all suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Is your car a petrol or diesel?
Hi.. Its a Diesel...
Old 15th August 2010, 23:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Is your car a petrol or diesel?
Old 15th August 2010, 23:28   #8
BHPian

Pls take skoda to court if u have the patience and financial muscle. It really pains me to see so many people being on the receiving end from Skoda. PATHETIC!!! I can assure u that my circle of friends know about this story and refrain from even thinking of buying a Skoda. Other than that, if you need any help in making the viral campaign a success, I would gladly want to participate.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
OR should I spend ~1-2 lakh rupees on viral marketing of my website MySuperb.in ?

I am really sorry to hear about your ordeal mudittandon. But I did really like your website!
Dont spend anything on starting a viral yet, TBHP might just be enough!
Old 15th August 2010, 23:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another Lemon

They sold you a Lemon dude. I guess with the amount of cases mounting against Skoda, it can be banned in our country to say the least. I wonder how many accidents occurred are due to the cars defect. We need National Highway security body just like in US to inspect such cases.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

@muditanddon - my sympathy on this skoda cancer. But I think you should have raised the bar long time back when the car was under warranty and the problem occured intermittent. That would at least have made a stronger case in demanding for a replacement. Now, I think, all you can do is fight a legal case and continue the trauma, or just get rid of it by any means, and swear not to utter 'Skoda' in lifetime.

BTW, read your site. think its good idea, but as I mentioned, its better to let go what had happened and move forward.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good Website...

However, considering the age/kms of your car, i too think it would be best for you to book your losses and move on ..
Old 16th August 2010, 01:07   #13
BHPian

So Skoda is back again, when will these guys learn..

@mudittandon-- really sorry to hear about your situation. As ITNerd mentioned, you should have taken a bit more persuasive action when the car was still under warranty.
You should be getting more suggestions from other members soon, so just hang in there.
Old 16th August 2010, 01:12   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys... with regards to a legal case...

The company already has Rs. 18 Cr. worth of legal cases from customers pending against it (as on 31st March 2009 - the latest available documents with the Registrar of Companies). This doesnt count countless people like myself who havent bothered to file a case. It's pointless - to fight cases against a company that already has 18 Cr. of customer claims pending against it in court seems like a starting a test-match which you *know* is never going to end...

With regards to booking losses and moving on - unfortunately, thats not possible either - the car is not in a condition that it can be sold - in fact, its not even with me! So either I count the entire 25L+ amount spent by me as a lost cause...

But I haven't lost hope yet - hopefully the situation isn't THAT bad yet, that this car (?) becomes an expensive paperweight worth 25L... (right?)
Old 16th August 2010, 01:24   #15
BHPian

did u try or consider approaching consumer court ? not sure why you have not done till now. yours is a very straight forward case. Waranty or no warranty it doesnt matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks