Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 02:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Handbrake Light: Weird Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the thread. I read through it. I just checked the brake fluid level. It is: ~1/4" above the MIN marker. The car had been stationary for an hour, before me checking it out. Should I get it topped up with DOT3 nevertheless. Is it easily available at petrol pumps, and will they pour it in. Since it is toxic in nature.
Top up the brake fluid. It can behave in that manner during inclines / acceleration / deceleration.

Also after filling up, keep an eye on the fluid level once every 15 days. If there is a leak in the system, then you will need to get it fixed otherwise you will need brake fluid very frequently.
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Re: Handbrake Light: Weird Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurbhageria View Post
Top up the brake fluid. It can behave in that manner during inclines / acceleration / deceleration.

Also after filling up, keep an eye on the fluid level once every 15 days. If there is a leak in the system, then you will need to get it fixed otherwise you will need brake fluid very frequently.
Thanks a lot. I topped up the break fluid till the MAX level. Now the problem has vanished. The brake light only glows when the handbrake is applied. I will keep a monitor on the levels. Thanks again..!
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Re: Parking brake light flashes while negotiating fast curves

I again topped up with DOT3, but only half the bottle went in. I have kept the bottle, in the car, with the top shut really tight. Will I be able to re-use it in the future..? Or does it get contaminated, once the bottle is opened.
Old 19th July 2016, 16:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I again topped up with DOT3, but only half the bottle went in. I have kept the bottle, in the car, with the top shut really tight. Will I be able to re-use it in the future..? Or does it get contaminated, once the bottle is opened.
After first use, remaining Brake Fluid is supposed to be discarded (once you have opened the bottle, moisture creeps in). One bottle would cost less than 100 Rs, so you are not loosing much anyway.
Old 19th July 2016, 17:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Over time it will attract moisture. Keeping it properly capped will help, but is safer not to use opened bottles of brake fluids, you never know how long it's been open. It's relatively cheap, so why take a risk?
Old 19th July 2016, 18:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please donate it to a friend/garage quickly, so at least someone can use it and benefit from it.

As Jeroen and jinojohnt pointed out, keeping it will lead to contamination through absorption of moisture - so if you're sure you don't need it give it away, so it at least doesn't go to waste.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks