Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Sluggish Palio

Offlate my Palio has become sluggish when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. Performance has really dropped with occassional jerks on changing gears.
One mechanic susggested changing ignition coil (spark plugs are new and injectors cleaned as well).
Your suggestions please
Old 17th August 2010, 15:19   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Offlate my Palio has become sluggish when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. Performance has really dropped with occassional jerks on changing gears.
One mechanic susggested changing ignition coil (spark plugs are new and injectors cleaned as well).
Your suggestions please
Are you using any alternate fuel ? like LPG/CNG ?? i am assuming it is palio 1.2

i doubt it could be a problem with ignition coil (mech is probably right), How many kms has it run ? Have you done any de-carb ?
Old 17th August 2010, 16:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Your suggestions please
Check the Catalytic converter too, if your vehicle has made enough kilometers
Old 17th August 2010, 16:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

From your handle, can I guess that your car must be five years old?

How many kms on the odo? Make / Model?

It could be anything as simple as a blocked air filter or poor fuel.. but the 'occasional jerks' while changing gears is a symptom - to get your vehicle checked. Don't jump to changing the coil as the first step; wait until you get the vehicle checked by a good service centre.

Where do you service your car? I recollect your earlier thread / post about Palio service by BUBhandari - so you get your car serviced by them (at Wakad)?

Last edited by vrprabhu : 17th August 2010 at 16:11.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:12   #5
BHPian

i also think it can be related to clutch wear.. may the pressure plates?

I had this problem in my palio.. but that creeped in just when we decided to sell it off, so we lived with it for a couple of weeks & let it go !
Old 17th August 2010, 16:16   #6
BHPian

have done about 60,000 Kms (odo stopped at 54 K). I do about 1200 kms a month now that I have shifted to Mumbai. It's a NV Sports 1.2/2005
No I don't use alternative fuel.
I don't have any jerks when I release the clutch, but vehicle jerks randomly.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
i also think it can be related to clutch wear.. may the pressure plates?

I had this problem in my palio.. but that creeped in just when we decided to sell it off, so we lived with it for a couple of weeks & let it go !
Right, kri$hna. But let us just hope that there it is only a sticky cable...

Quote:
have done about 60,000 Kms (odo stopped at 54 K). I do about 1200 kms a month now that I have shifted to Mumbai. It's a NV Sports 1.2/2005
Clutch wear can be ruled out, but no harm in checking it. Especially, if you feel excessive pedal play.

I too have the random jerks - that's mostly when I do unscheduled fillings. Since you have replaced the plugs, check those first. I was told that Palio plugs are not a 'off-the-shelf' kind. So, even plugs of wrong specs could cause ignition problems. 60k could use with a injector clean and a ECU error code check...
Old 17th August 2010, 16:43   #8
BHPian

You should really get your vehicle checked at B.U.Bhandari. The mechanics at FIAT\TATA work with these engines day in day out, so they can diagnose problems more efficiently. The local mechanic will probably try & do a quick fix.
I had the same problem with my 1.2 ELX NV, it turned out the timing belt had gone kaput & the exhaust needed some work, the car worked perfectly after that. I can feel the acceleration tugs after shifting :o)
Old 17th August 2010, 16:48   #9
BHPian

Well, Jerks can be caused by faulty spark plugs, bad fuel or even the fuel pump going kaput ! The intensity of these jerks can tell a lot about what to look for.

I would say, check Fuel pump, Pressure plates, Spark Plugs & Ignition Coil. Ofcourse, an ecu diagnostic check can reveal some stuff which can be helpful. Visit a Tata Service Center which has FIAT Diagnostic Tool, or a Bosch Car Service, which in all probability will have an Universal Tool to check error codes

Good Luck
Old 17th August 2010, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey palio_2005, I almost immediately guessed the issue by reading just the post header since I had an almost similar issue (if not the same) on my old car, the Santro Xing.
I had raised the issue with couple of Hyundai vendors but none seemed to resolve it, Until ofcourse "Team BHP" and its Plethora of Knowledgables.

My bet is that your mechanic is right. After an advice from one of the TBHP's expert, I insisted the A.S.S to change the Ignition Coil on my Car and not only was the sluggishness removed but the car felt better even with the AC on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks