Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Engine Scan!

Honestly, I am surprised that I could not find any thread on what exactly does an engine scan check, what questions to ask the ASC, how to read the scan?

Surprised especially because T-BHP has such enormous wells & oceans of knowledge contained in its pages (will I have to bite my tongue? Should I have searched for some other keyword or somewhere else ?)

Well, let me post my query (and I hope to get lots of detailed technical knowledge from the gurus): I have recently purchased a used Accent CRDi Jun'04 and am planning to take it to a Hyundai ASC (2nd time in as many weeks) due to low acceleration/power surge, smoke problems, low mileage & a whhhhhssssssshhhhh sound that comes, esp. during idling.

But I do not know what to ask the ASC? (They don't tell you everything. For instance, csateesh told me a bit back that EGR valve maybe responsible for smoking. Plan to have that checked while at the ASC) What should I ask them? How do I read the scan?

BTW, post-delivery have already got done: fuel, air & oil filter changes; timing belt, timing tensioner change; air intake cleaning; fuel injector cleaning; engine oil change; engine flush, engine decarb.

Pour your replies.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Problem that you have mentioned can be attributed to many things.

About the Sound you should get your turbo plumbing checked.

BTW how much is on the oddo.

PS: I have seen this many a time, after joining TBHP, every member attributed the car problem to its ECU.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Problem that you have mentioned can be attributed to many things.

About the Sound you should get your turbo plumbing checked.

BTW how much is on the oddo.

PS: I have seen this many a time, after joining TBHP, every member attributed the car problem to its ECU.
Sorry for the late reply. Waiting for replies to the thread for a few days, I just presumed that no one's going to reply so I stopped checking.

I actually have the discussion going on here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...solutions.html

Actually, I met with drifter this evening and he too suggested that there might be problems with the turbo. Had planned to get it checked. But didn't know that even that sound could be due to the turbo. Will definitely ask the HASS guys. Thankyou. Please do go through the link above.

BTW, I would really appreciate it if I could get some pointers on how to read the results of an engine scan. For instance, how do I know if the scan is throwing up the fact that engine compression is not proper?

PS: "...And ECU is??" Is it another name for an Engine scan? Why do a large no of people attribute car problems to ECU? Sorry if the reply to my question seems a very obvious answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks