Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th December 2017, 14:23   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Manza - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot View Post
Calling all Manza owners: Does anyone have a problem of water leaking into the boot when it rains? I noticed about 1cm deep water in the spare wheel well after a recent rainy day, I know it was dry the day before because I pumped up the spare tyre then. The boot floor carpet was also wet, but not sure if that was just siphoned up, or if the leak came from above. If anyone has solved this issue, what was the source of the leak? Is it the boot seals? Or is it underbody spray from driving on a wet road, seeping in though a hole somewhere.
I owned one for 40 K kms from 2011 Feb to 2012 March.

Yes. Water used to some how peep into the boot.

When checked with my S.A in TASS Bhosri, he pointed out the cut on the rubber cap / washer to accommodate the extra wiring for rear sensors made by the accessories guy.
Hence, I felt that could be the only reason. Changed the rubber cap/ washer and the issue got solved.

regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 14:39   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
I owned one for 40 K kms from 2011 Feb to 2012 March.
=========
Hence, I felt that could be the only reason. Changed the rubber cap/ washer and the issue got solved.
Thanks Maverick79. May I ask if you recall where exactly in the boot this rubber cap/washer was located? Was it something extra you had fitted? My car is 100% virgin, as it came out the factory...
Sir Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 11:22   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot View Post
Thanks Maverick79. May I ask if you recall where exactly in the boot this rubber cap/washer was located? Was it something extra you had fitted? My car is 100% virgin, as it came out the factory...

Sure Sir Lancelot,

Mine was also a virgin from factory initially. However, as I graduated from M 800 to Manza.. a car with a very big boot, I felt a need for reverse parking sensors.
Hence, the accessories guy routed his wiring from tail lamp cluster wiring from bumper into the boot via the rubber boot. As it was not able to house all the wiring together, he cut 2 mm of the rubber boot to accommodate all the cluster of wiring's.

Apologies for not able to trace the exact photograph as it's close to 5 years now.

Tata Manza - List Of Problems-img00290201102241833.jpg

Its exactly behind the tail lamp. If you remove the carpet and side insulation, you will be able to see it.

It may be not the exact case in your ride. So pls check the boot beading's and drain plugs carefully. They could be the culprit. Especially in the spare wheel well.

Hope this helps you some how or the other.

regards,
Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 10:59   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

Sure Sir Lancelot,

Mine was also a virgin from factory initially. However, as I graduated from M 800 to Manza.. a car with a very big boot, I felt a need for reverse parking sensors.
Hence, the accessories guy routed his wiring from tail lamp cluster wiring from bumper into the boot via the rubber boot. As it was not able to house all the wiring together, he cut 2 mm of the rubber boot to accommodate all the cluster of wiring's.
It may be not the exact case in your ride. So pls check the boot beading's and drain plugs carefully. They could be the culprit. Especially in the spare wheel well.

Hope this helps you some how or the other.

regards,
Maverick79
Thanks for the pic and description Maverick. I have decided to do a warranty claim on this leak, and booked my Manza in at the local Tata service centre to have the leak traced and plugged.
I have another issue which is cropping up with my Manza now:
My Safire90 petrol is brand new with only 600km on the odo by now. I have noticed a power loss issue which is becoming more and more frequent. Basically, what happens is in the middle of driving the car suddenly loses power, as if it has gone into "limp mode". No warning lights on the dash light up. It happens in any gear, 1st to 5th, and both with the AC on and off. At first it thought I must be in the wrong gear, changed down, and power was back. But I knew that I wasn't in the wrong gear anyway, so some experimenting when it occurs has shown me that if I totally lift off the throttle pedal and then immediately re-apply the throttle, the power is back normally. This leads me to believe that the problem is related to the throttle position sensor? I will have this looked at by the service centre as well. Does anyone else have this issue on a Safire90 engine? Also, does anyone know if this engine uses a throttle cable or a "drive by wire" throttle? If it's the latter my guess is it's an electronic rather than a mechanical issue....
Sir Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 16:31   #200
BHPian

The Manza employs a drive by wire system. There have been cases where issues were reported concerning the sensor attached to the A pedal.
bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 22:41   #201
BHPian

OK, well I will have the accelerator pedal issue seen to under warranty. Incidentally, after some rain today I traced my boot leak. The water was leaking in through the rear right light cluster's electric wire feed. Where this wire passes through the boot metal body, it is supposed to be sealed by a rubber grommet. It was not fitted correctly, I pushed it in place, and the leak problem is now solved..
Sir Lancelot is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 18:19   #202
BHPian

Default Randomness in starting up

All,

I've a problem with my 2012 Manza Elan. This started about 3 months back. The car does not start some times. Cranking works but just the car would not start. I'm sure that Battery and starter are fine. I called the on road service guy. It took about an hour for him to arrive. When he tried the car started without any trouble. I thought that this was a one off thing. But this problem has happened now for 3 times. Once when I pulled out the key, re-inserted and started, it worked fine. Today again it did not start after I stopped at a shop next door to my home to buy groceries. I left the car where I'd stopped as it was next door. In the evening when I went and started, the car came alive. This is worrying me. Car has done 64.5K Kms. I've done all my regular services at TASS. What could be wrong with the car?

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 29th May 2018 at 18:26.
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 18:28   #203
BHPian

Default Re: Randomness in starting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
All,

I've a problem with my 2014 Manza Elan. This started about 3 months back. The car does not start some times. Cranking works but just the car would not start. This is worrying me. Car has done 64.5K Kms. I've done all my regular services at TASS. What could be wrong with the car?

Regards,
lsjey
I presume you've checked the below things not necessarily in the same order:

1> Temperature of the car - Is the engine getting hotter
2> Manza requires the clutch pedal to be pressed fully, is it making good contact with the safety switch ?
3> Any error codes displayed on the FID ?

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv
rajiv.kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 18:31   #204
BHPian

The car was cold on two occasions and was in normal operating temp on the third occasion.

I'd pressed the clutch pedal fully. I'd tried starting multiple times. BTW what is a safety switch?

No error codes displayed.
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 18:55   #205
BHPian

Quoted text from Google "A clutch safety switch is seen in vehicles with a manual transmission because it has a foot clutch that enables the vehicle to start. It is located either on the clutch pedal itself or on the clutch master's push rod. ... The purpose of this part is to prevent the engine from starting when the transmission is in gear."

You mentioned that the car was cold on two occassions, ideally in such scenarios the glow plug should do it's job to warm the engine for a cold start. Personally I've had issues with glow plugs where they are physically present but might not be doing it's job or not required to, due to ambient temperature conditions. May be a good idea to get them checked out. A word of caution - I've been advised that the Fiat MJ is prone to broken glow plugs, so please ask the service guys to exercise extra care when opening them for a check up. Hope it helps..
rajiv.kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 22:48   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
All,

I've a problem with my 2012 Manza Elan. This started about 3 months back. The car does not start some times. Cranking works but just the car would not start. I'm sure that Battery and starter are fine. I called the on road service guy. It took about an hour for him to arrive. When he tried the car started without any trouble... Once when I pulled out the key, re-inserted and started, it worked fine. Today again it did not start after I stopped...
Could be an engine immobilizer issue. Check if immobilizer lamp stays on / blinks during the failed start attempts. Keep your second key handy and try it if starting fails. If the key is indeed the culprit, have it opened to check for dust /grime and if needed replace the battery.

Last edited by cogWheel : 29th May 2018 at 22:53.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote