Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza - List Of Problems

Got the 30k km service done yesterday. Sridhar - you were right! They changed the second (lower) fan and that fixed the viabrations issue. They also changed the indicator stalk as it was doing minor kat kat when turning the steering. Both in warranty. SA wanted me to go for cat con cleaning. This is not costly (~400 bucks) but I told him will do at 40k service. Or should I have got that done? Does it help?

They adjusted the gear linkage and that reduced the gear lever play and associated jerking. Clutch hardness was measured at 11.5 which is much within tolerated limits (16) so was okay. Apart from general check-up and washing cleaning, nothing else was needed to be done. Car feels like almost new again.

Cost Rs.1,250+tax (only paid service charge).
Old 30th April 2011, 15:30   #32
BHPian

Got my car from second free service at VST Chennai. Updates on the problems reported

1)Hard jerky clutch with too much play: The car was taken for a test ride. The removed the clutch, and checked the hardness with a gauge. The reading was within limit. They bled the slave cylinder. They have done some adjustments to the clutch and the issue is resolved for now. The clutch is slightly lighter, the play is reduced to the level that was there before the first service, and the jerkiness reduced a lot. The pickup is also much better. Will keep my fingers crossed for the new few 1000 kms.

2) The NVH levels when the second fan comes on: I couldn't recreate the situation when the test drive was taken but the SA claimed that it was specifically checked by the engine experts in VST and they felt that the NVH levels are on par with the other Manza.

3) Reduced chillness in AC: The AC blowers were cleaned, temperatures at the outlet checked and not it is back to normal.

4) Occasional ratting sound inside the dashboard behind the music player:
They mentioned that it would take a day to remove and check the dashboard completely for rattling. I told them to check the area behind the music player alone for now and would prefer a complete check up during the third service. They seems to have removed the player and checked the area behind. However, instead of disappearing, the ratting sound has increased.

Also when using the blue tooth for the phone, the speaker is not switching from the phone speaker to the car speaker when the call gets connected. For incoming calls, the radio turns off, the ring is heard through the car speakers, the phone gets auto picked but the voice is still heard on the phone speaker and not on the car speaker. Not sure whether this is a problem with my phone or with the bluetooth kit on the car.

5) Occasional squeaking sound from the rear suspension especially when releasing the breaks while at a ramp. Unfortunately could not recreate the problem during the test drive.

6) The plastic panel on the b-pillar (from where the seat belt is drawn) had come off on both the drivers side and the passenger side: They had fixed the drivers side but not the passenger side. Looks like they replaced the plastic connector that connects the panel to the B pillar . DIY did the trick for the passenger side.

7) Tail Lamp assembly glass: The glass on was broken ( a small hole) near the reverse fog lamp, which I had covered with a black Vinyl tape: I had asked for a replacement glass. They quoted Rs 1800 for one side and they did not have it in their stores. Will get it fixed in the 3rd service.

8) Misalignment of the power window switches assembly; They have re-fixed the housing but I am unable to roll up the rear left window from the driver side switch though roll down is working

All in all, a few niggles as expected with a Tata car, which TASS did make a good effort in sorting out.

PS: After the car was serviced, they waited for their test drivers to certify the vehicle before asking me to come and pick the car up. The SA at VST had done some homework on my vehicle. He was aware of the problem that I reported at first service, the feedback ratings that I had given.
Old 8th May 2011, 21:51   #33
BHPian

Update: Post the 2nd service, a new problem has come up. Switching the ignition on, a strange tuk tuk tuk... sound came up (like a relay switching). After trying many things to identify the source of the sound, found it coming only when the A/C is in recirculation mode. In Chennai summer, it is extremely difficult to operate it in fresh air mode.

Took it to the nearest Tata Authorized service point, the problem was traced to the motor operating the vane not stopping even after the vane is closed causing that sound. Since the TASP does not handle warranty claims, they have set the vane in closed position (so that the motor does not switch on to close it) and asked me to take it to a main dealer and get it replaced under warranty . Waiting for an appointment with VST to get this issue fixed.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 19:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Update: Post the 2nd service, a new problem has come up. Switching the ignition on, a strange tuk tuk tuk... sound came up (like a relay switching). After trying many things to identify the source of the sound, found it coming only when the A/C is in recirculation mode. In Chennai summer, it is extremely difficult to operate it in fresh air mode.

Took it to the nearest Tata Authorized service point, the problem was traced to the motor operating the vane not stopping even after the vane is closed causing that sound. Since the TASP does not handle warranty claims, they have set the vane in closed position (so that the motor does not switch on to close it) and asked me to take it to a main dealer and get it replaced under warranty . Waiting for an appointment with VST to get this issue fixed.
Hi Sridhar_K,

I've started getting this tuk-tuk sound (rather large Tok-tok) from behind the dashboard lower part since yesterday. It comes when I turn the key into ignition. After some minutes the sound tends to disappear. This happens even when the AC is off. Is this how it happened in your case? Or it continues to go on unless you switch to fresh air?

I'll try turning into the fresh air mode now to check if thats the issue as you said. So Thanks for that tip.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hi Sridhar_K,

I've started getting this tuk-tuk sound (rather large Tok-tok) from behind the dashboard lower part since yesterday. It comes when I turn the key into ignition. After some minutes the sound tends to disappear. This happens even when the AC is off. Is this how it happened in your case? Or it continues to go on unless you switch to fresh air?

I'll try turning into the fresh air mode now to check if thats the issue as you said. So Thanks for that tip.
Hi Reinhard

As long as the recirculation switch is on, the sound comes even if the A/C is switched off. Earlier, the sound continued for sometime even after switching off the recirculation before disappearing. TASP has bypassed the switch for now as they can't handle warranty claim and I have to get it replaced under warranty in TASS.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:27   #36
BHPian

hi sridhar, no such tuk tuk sound have been experienced by me till date. May be it is some specific problem which is in your car. You should also try keeping the recirculation switch off.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Hi Reinhard

As long as the recirculation switch is on, the sound comes even if the A/C is switched off. Earlier, the sound continued for sometime even after switching off the recirculation before disappearing. TASP has bypassed the switch for now as they can't handle warranty claim and I have to get it replaced under warranty in TASS.
Yes Sridhar,
Your advise was worth a million. I tried switching the recirculation off, and viola, the noise goes. So indeed its the motor that controls the flap. Disadvantages of the car being too techie. In most other cars, this switch is a manual slider instead of a digital switch.

I have a service due on 4th June, will now be able to exactly explain to the SA about what the issue is, and what the solution is. All thanks to you really. Good day!

Cheers.
Old 26th May 2011, 03:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

I've had this noise in my indica turbo for a while too. I'll check if its this next time it crops up, thanks!
Old 27th May 2011, 08:50   #39
BHPian

Glad that my humble little input is helping someone in this community.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:06   #40
BHPian

hi greenhorn, simply switch off the recirculation off and the noise will go away..it is a tried and tested thing..please read the thread before posting..
Old 27th May 2011, 23:53   #41

Hi All

I am looking forward to buy a diesel sedan. I have narrowd my choices down to 2, Manza for Ford Fiesta Classic..

Since this thread is onm manza, i would like to clarify something i heard from a friend

1) The rear set position + the rear glass is such that the sun hits the back of the passengers head. I live in kerala and in summer the sun is almost directly above head. Is this true?

2) The thickness of body metal is less resulting in dents forming on the body if hit with small objects like stone hits from the road.

I tried posting in vels thread but looks like he is having a busy week. Happy riding vel..

Thanks and Regards
Sibi
Old 27th June 2011, 14:11   #42
BHPian

hello,

can anyone compare the AC cooling power of Manza with Indica. I took a test drive of Manza on last saturday, the comfort is better than Indica which i currently hold. But the AC cooling power was very poor in manza compared to Indica. can anyone confirm this. I am looking for upgrading my car to MANZA, but the poor ac performance is what i noticed as a drawback in manza. can anybody who owns manza enlighten me regarding the ac cooling power.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 13:09   #43
BHPian

Just got a Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition:

On the onset - FANTASTIC car - the seats, comfort, driving pleasure, sheer number of features, AC, crazy high FE - Awesome.

It is a completely un-Tata product as GTO had written in his review.

But still - there are some issues - albeit minor ones :

1. The Front Windscreen plastic patti - was OFF from day one. Just not sitting on the clips - leaving the windshield open & bare (pics attached)

Update: Due action taken by Tata Motors & replaced with a new piece of plastic

2. The plastic pieces covering the screw holes in the front door handles (inside) have popped out by themselves & refuse to go back in.

(to be rectified during the 1st service next week)

3. The rear seat does NOT lock back into place. Thus keeps rattling.
(Also to be rectified during the 1st service next week)

There are other minor things - which do not qualify as 'problems' per se.

I have mentioned them in my Ownership Report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2562525

But really a gem of a car - TOTAL VFM !

Tata Manza - List Of Problems-imag0255-copy.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 16:23   #44
BHPian

I am not a manza owner but i have seen several manzas which has the reverse light ON while the car is moving forward. It has scared me several times while driving behind them in the traffic signals.
Old 1st November 2011, 00:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I am not a manza owner but i have seen several manzas which has the reverse light ON while the car is moving forward. It has scared me several times while driving behind them in the traffic signals.
It is the rear fog lamp that could be turned on even while driving forward. Ideally, the they should have disabled it when reverse gear is not engaged.

Most Viewed