Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 16:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza - List Of Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Facing the following issues with my Dec 09 Manza Aura+ Quadrajet. It has done around 35K by now and running on original tyres.

Since past 1 Month:
>> After gear change(1, 2 or 3rd) on accelerating there is a jerk. Clutch has always been hard(unlike Etios/City where it is super soft).

Since past 2 days:
>> After applying brakes, the nose dives in the front just before coming to a stop.

Would be grateful if I would get some feedback on what could be wrong.

It's a hydraulic clutch in the Manza so the feel is different.
There is not setting that can be done. You can at the most ask them to check the cylinder & grease the cable.

Also not fair to compare a petrol car to a diesel car clutch.

What RPM do you shift at?
The typical jerk would be if you are changing below 2k rpm or lifting off the clutch too fast.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 17:34   #92
BHPian

Thanks Dr. Suraj for the inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
What RPM do you shift at?
Gear change(1/2/3) is generally done below 2K rpm. After changing gear it takes around 2-3 seconds for the clutch to be completely released. After that, if I accelerate then there is a jerk. If I wait for another 2 seconds and then accelerate very slowly then it doesnot jerk.

Regarding my 2nd query, it is now a bit scary to drive in traffic. Don't know whether it is related to brakes, tyres or suspension.
Old 12th November 2012, 19:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:

Gear change(1/2/3) is generally done below 2K rpm. After changing gear it takes around 2-3 seconds for the clutch to be completely released. After that, if I accelerate then there is a jerk. If I wait for another 2 seconds and then accelerate very slowly then it doesnot jerk.

Regarding my 2nd query, it is now a bit scary to drive in traffic. Don't know whether it is related to brakes, tyres or suspension.
Try changing between 2200 to 2700 RPM.

Let me know if you notice any difference.

The brake too is hydraulic.
And no there is no 'nose-diving' when I brake.
So maybe that bit you can have it checked.

How old is the vehicle? How long have you been driving it?
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 23:38   #94
BHPian

Sure, I'll try changing gears at higher rpms. Never done that before as I drive below 2K rpm in the city traffic.

Quote:
So maybe that bit you can have it checked.

How old is the vehicle? How long have you been driving it?
It is a December 2009 model and has completed 35K kms & driven by me only.
Old 25th November 2012, 16:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, earlier they had done the same FOAM packing - but that did not work out.
Now they have a new sealant of sorts. It's gel based and expands on cooling, fills up the gap perfectly. And leaves no scope for any noise.
My TASS informed me that it is something the company has recently developed after recent complaints.

We were just discussing about TASS here -

ANY issues just escalate it and you will be surprised at the response.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2811906

Just write to anyone in the company and not the TASS.
If you want some email ids - I can PM them to you.
You will be surprised at how swiftly & efficiently they respond.

Dr Suraj, I had a nightmarish experience at Oberoi Cars today. I had tweaked that my Manza is very squeaky and requires a competent person to which CustomerCare guided me back to Oberoi cars. They called me day before to fix an appointment for today. After waiting for almost 6 hrs, no work was done on my car and I got so pissed off that I came back. Need to write a strong email to TATAs and ofcourse get my car fixed up. Can you please share the email IDs thru PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 17:16   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhondusaxena View Post
Dr Suraj, I had a nightmarish experience at Oberoi Cars today. I had tweaked that my Manza is very squeaky and requires a competent person to which CustomerCare guided me back to Oberoi cars. They called me day before to fix an appointment for today. After waiting for almost 6 hrs, no work was done on my car and I got so pissed off that I came back. Need to write a strong email to TATAs and ofcourse get my car fixed up. Can you please share the email IDs thru PM.
PM sent.

Please check.
Old 25th November 2012, 17:48   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Facing the following issues with my Dec 09 Manza Aura+ Quadrajet. It has done around 35K by now and running on original tyres.

Since past 1 Month:
>> After gear change(1, 2 or 3rd) on accelerating there is a jerk. Clutch has always been hard(unlike Etios/City where it is super soft).

Since past 2 days:
>> After applying brakes, the nose dives in the front just before coming to a stop.

Would be grateful if I would get some feedback on what could be wrong.

Having a nose dive under normal breaking can be a busted stabilizer link bushings or the main struts/shocks itself.

for the clutch issue its a sticky clutch which is taking its own sweet time to release after the pedal is relased can be the clutch slave or master cylinder.
Get the clutch system bled and observer, if your car is under warranty then sit on their head and get it done.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 19:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After changing gear it takes around 2-3 seconds for the clutch to be completely released.
Get the clutch slave cylinder checked immediately. It could give way sometime soon.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:25   #99
BHPian

Thanks Dr. Suraj, Jatin & Audioholic for the inputs. I went to a different TASS this time. Initially, they thought that front struts need to be replaced, but later on they said that only the link rods need to be changed. They also serviced the steering column.

The car is not nose diving now. Also earlier I used to slow down considerably while going over uneven roads. Now it glides must better over them without reducing to very low speed. And the conspicuous THUD from front suspension is much muted.

Earlier my arm/should/neck used to pain while steering. Now steering is smooth.

They also did clutch bleeding. Now that judder is gone & the gear change is better(there is no lag) although gear shifting is hard as before.

I'm surprised that these things were not taken care of during the regular service at the previous TASS. For a common man, he atleast expects the service centre to inspect, diagnose & rectify.

I will be writing to customer care about the entire 3 year experience. Please let me know if there is anyone else in the management who could take my feedback seriously so that I can copy them on it.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:00   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys, In a recent visit to TASS, the service adviser told that the case/bar holding radiator and ac started rusting and it may break in few years. Below is a picture of the same. I have highlighted a portion of it (circled) for better visibility. The car is just 3 years and maintained well. The service adviser was insisting that there is no preventive mechanism now and I will have to replace that entire case when it breaks. When I asked how much it will cost, his answer was > 10K. That is too much money to spend and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent further rusting. Also is there anything that can remove the existing rust ?
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:10   #101
BHPian

Hi Guys, In a recent visit to TASS, the service adviser told that the case/bar holding radiator and ac started rusting and it may break in few years. Below is a picture of the same. I have highlighted a portion of it (circled) for better visibility. The car is just 3 years and maintained well. The service adviser was insisting that there is no preventive mechanism now and I will have to replace that entire case when it breaks. When I asked how much it will cost, his answer was > 10K. That is too much money to spend and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent further rusting. Also is there anything that can remove the existing rust ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza - List Of Problems-pic-1.jpg  

Tata Manza - List Of Problems-pic-2.jpg  

Old 12th June 2013, 08:49   #102
BHPian

After many iffy experiences at various TASS in Delhi, finally had a pleasant experience at 'Narain Singh and Sons' which is near the Jahangirpuri Metro Stn. The owner, Mr. Hardeep Singh is quite clued up and his son, Mr Mandeep is a bhpian himself. Most importantly, they take their time and do a good job. Recently got my clutch set changed at 48000 kms and the brake master cylinder as well. Dinesh is the Service Advisor to look for.
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 12:20   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
The rusting doesn't seem to be on the extreme side. Please try sending in these pics to the customer service of TATA and ring them a couple times. If nothings doing, I think you can remove the rust at a local workshop and repaint the entire case. This may hardly cost a fraction of the replacement cost. It will not be a heavy job as the case will be easily accessible once you remove the bumper.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:30   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
The rust looks like surface rust and if this is the case, its not that serious. the part can be cleaned sanded and retreated at any good body shop. Most Tata vehicles tend to develop rust at the internal portions as they aren't painted with the good quality paint they use for the exterior but only a base coat is applied. you can see that the internal portions like beams and door inners and bonnet inners may be of a different color which is actually only a base coat and that is not as durable as the paint on the outside of the car.

A good body shop can repair it for you.

Be prepared to leave the car for a day or two as it will the whole portion should be dismantled for a proper job (remove all the fittings on the panel), check the extent of rust under the panel and at the joins too. The panel will need to be sanded down to bare metal and treated with a generous coat of etch primer then normal primer and then a nice coat of paint. Make sure you maintain the color code of the internals to base color as it may effect the resale value of the car in the future.
Old 13th June 2013, 10:50   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
After many iffy experiences at various TASS in Delhi, finally had a pleasant experience at 'Narain Singh and Sons' which is near the Jahangirpuri Metro Stn. The owner, Mr. Hardeep Singh is quite clued up and his son, Mr Mandeep is a bhpian himself. Most importantly, they take their time and do a good job. Recently got my clutch set changed at 48000 kms and the brake master cylinder as well. Dinesh is the Service Advisor to look for.
Could you please share more details on this. Part prices and labour costs and the reasons for changing clutch and master cylinder at 48k km's which I think is earlier than normal. Thanks

Most Viewed