Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 02:08   #1

Engine Rebored on my Safari TCIC need guidance

Folks, my safari TCIC had to be rebored, and complete engine work had to be done. I had to face this unexpected situation of engine seizing, during a drive from Chennai to Thrissur, near Krishnagiri when the hose from the radiator, got cut and the water dained, leading to engine overheating and seizing.
Since I was away from home and with no other choice, had to get the engine rebored and fixed in Krishnagiri itself. I took delivery of the truck today and was asked by the mechanic to drive steady not speeding over 80 kmph and also no to use the ac for the next 2000 km of driving. Is this correct? I did drive back to chennai not crossing 80kmph and felt a lof of difference vis-a-vis ebgine smoothness, noise, pickup and power. The mechanic was pretty good and the job was carried out in supervision of a friend who owns a workshop where they service JCB's and heavy vehicles. Please let me know if i can use the ac, the engine was run in for about 20 hours before i took delivery.
Old 28th August 2010, 04:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding not crossing 80km/hr, the mechanic must have meant that you should not rev the engine too much. I guess you should follow the usual new engine run in techniques for the next 2000kms. Using the AC puts additional load on the engine, but then if you follow the correct run in procedures, I believe using the AC should not be a problem.
Old 28th August 2010, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not running AC? that's crap. You can use AC. Just donot cross 2k RPM and keeps the rpm varying always.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you want a long life of the engine post-boring, then do not run AC for atleast 1.2K kms. Change engine oil at 750 kms and then again at 2000 kms.

Keep the air filter clean so that the new bored engine doesn't get choked. Avoid driving on full load and also steadily at one speed on one gear. Shifting gears and changing RPMs shall help in faster & better bedding of the valves etc.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:07   #5
BHPian

Sad to hear that, but then you have a new engine.

I am not sure about AC, but varying rpm and not crossing 2000 rpm would be advisable.

If you don't mind sharing, I would be interested to know the cost.

Thanks.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:10   #6
BHPian

Just read the instruction manual of your truck, in run in procedure if it is so mentioned that not to use A/C till xxkms then better follow it but generally it is not a rule to not to use A/C for any engine to run in.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:56   #7

Thanks for the advice and suggestions folks, it certainly gives a lot of positive vibes

Yes I have been driving in varying speeds on the highway on my return from krishnagiri, varying from 60 to 80 KMPH.

I have not used the AC till now as I was skeptical and I do not have the manual with me.

I have been asked to do a complete oil change @ 2000 KM and then use the AC did not understand the logic but it sounded well

It cost me 40 K and I have the bills, the engine work was done in Salem and the fitting and all was done in Krishnagiri.

Aparently they removed the a valve to ensure free water flow and that will keep the engine cooler than if it was.

I noticed the fuel guage moved very slow in the opposite direction, meaning good fuel economy, but am not jumping the line will do a check on that later.

The engine however feels smooth and powerful, also the radiator was cleaned and they removed a handful of muck/mud

Most Viewed