Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 20:13   #1

water inside sx4 - power steering issue

1) What is the approximate cost of making power steering work on SX4? It was quoted to me at around 50,000/-.

2) I found the power steering to work after allowing the car to dry or rest; (water had gone inside the car through floorboard 3 day ago, just below the door-level. There is still lot of water inside car). But it stops working after continuous driving. Can I expect it to become fixed automatically after water is drained outside of my car?

Please reply

Details are below:

I had my car parked outside my apartment three days ago in, Madinaguda, Hyderabad. In the evening, it was raining. When I came outside at around 8:30 pm after rain just stopped, I found that water was just below door level of my SX4. Since water was accumulating there, I opened the door to bring the car inside the apartment which is at some higher level from ground. I found that water was already inside the car covering the carpet. After bringing the car inside apartment, I threw out 3, 4 or more buckets of water from inside the car. While bringing the car inside, I noticed that power-steering had stopped working: steering sign on dashboard was lit visibly indicating the problem. Next morning I called the Maruti people Varun Motors. I found that power-steering was working normally again; I didn't drive just checked it inside the apartment because I wanted to avoid driving it before it getting checked by mechanics. Some mechanic from Varuna Motors was supposed to come, but he took his time and came next day. He and his friend did not spend much time, as per them car was OK. The power-steering was working normally: they did not drive outside, they too checked it inside. When they were leaving I took the car outside, and found that steering sign on dashboard had started blinking weakly. I called the mechanic, he told me not to worry. Anyway I worried and parked the car outside at a different place in a high ground level. In the night, I checked my car. Because enough amount of water was still inside the car which had vaporized, the glasses were covered with fog of water. I drove it toward apartment and back (because of lack of space): initially power steering was working, then power-steering stopped working, steering sign on dashboard was lit.
Today morning, I checked it; power steering was working, no issue. I thought of taking car for draining of water from carpet (it considerable amount of water); which in my opinion was causing all this issue. After few kilometer of driving, I again noticed weakly blinking steering sign on dashboard; but it went away after I stopped for my lunch. I had already talked with the Varun Motors showroom manager, who had delivered the car to me during purchase and who had sent the mechanic to check my car yesterday; so I brought my car to his showroom. The manager sent his guy along with me to Varuna motors workshop. I was showing that Varun motors guy all the things (weakly blinking steering sign) which was coming on the dashboard with progress of our journey (and going away in between). Just a kilometer before we reached the workshop on Balanagar, power-steering stopped working.
Old 28th August 2010, 20:32   #2
BHPian

That sounds like an expensive repair job.
How old is your car?
What reason do the mechanics give? What part according to them is faulty?
Upload an estimate copy here so we may help better.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is definitely a sensor problem, PS to ECU feed cables, it might have conked when the water entered the floor pan.

The pump etc which is expensive is pretty water proof. If the car is not under warranty, get some outside mechanic from your city to have a look.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Assuming HPS, First check to see if your belt is not slipping due to water. Then flush the fluid completely and check.
Old 29th August 2010, 00:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its EPS and like the Swift i am guessing the rack and the power steering unit are all considered as 'ONE UNIT' so they replace the entire thing as a set.

For the Swift the entire unit is 23 thousand, Surprising that its 50 thousand for an SX4, I would suggest to blow dry it and check it out.

Could be just the EPS motor getting water inside as its at a low position.

My 2 cents
Old 29th August 2010, 01:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

i must say the price quoted is ridiculous.

even if you meant to buy the whole power steering unit of SX4 its only 29000/-.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:54   #7
BHPian

I would take a second opinion from outside mechanics, while I fully agree with SirAlec that its PS to ECU Feed cable,

Why not Get the Car carpet removed, get the whole cabin dried using sunlight or whatever is possible before planning a 50k repair.

Any outside mechanic would take out seats, carpet and ensure its fully dried for few hundred rupees.

Don't trust M.A.S.S. blindly, I am sure a day will come when your car doesn't starts these A.S.S. people would say replace the engine.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
How old is your car? What reason do the mechanics give? What part according to them is faulty? Upload an estimate copy here so we may help better.
I purchased the car in Feb 2009. It is under warranty.

Mechanics had not opened the car. As such, the estimate copy which I received contains no detail, it contains only 50000/- as lump sum estimated cost.

Main mechanics said that, according to his experience, when water has gone inside the car and there is such issue, it means that parts of car are failing and even if power steering works, it might fail anytime. He said that they would open the car and parts of it in presence of (Bajaj) insurance people tomorrow (Monday); and meanwhile they would dry the carpet of car. I will know the cost tomorrow, and will know how much insurance will cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
even if you meant to buy the whole power steering unit of SX4 its only 29000/-.
Thanks for this information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
If the car is not under warranty, get some outside mechanic from your city to have a look.
Car is under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Why not Get the Car carpet removed, get the whole cabin dried using sunlight or whatever is possible before planning a 50k repair.
Thanks for replies.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Turn on the heater at full blast, shut all windows leaving a 2~5mm gap for a while and see if something happens!
Old 30th August 2010, 08:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ravindra_hyd: I would recommend you to consult with some third party service center. We have Carnation Auto in Bangalore, am sure something similar should exist in Hyderabad. They'd definitely give you the option of servicing. I'm sure you can definitely disassemble the power steering unit and have it repaired/serviced.

All authorized service centers seldom do repairing but replacing and that's how they meet their numbers (you'd know what I mean if you're a sales person ).
Old 16th September 2010, 15:59   #11

This is update. I am really dissatisfied with Maruti/Varuna Hyd people; I gave them car on 28-August and I have yet to get the car from them.

On 1st Sept when I visited them, they had found that water had entered inside two boxes containing the electronic circuit boards for power steering and airbag and they would need to replace these boxes. They told me that it will take 7 days for these parts to come from Noida/Gurgaon office of Maruti, and another 2 or 3 days will take for insurance inspection, and making vehicle ready for delivery. I took their words, and went to my hometown ( since I had already vacated my rented house here in Hyd last month as I am moving from Hyd back to my city). I returned this Monday 13th Sept hoping to take my car, but found that parts have not yet come. From my daily interactions with these people since Monday (as I am back in Hyd just to get my car and living here in lodge), I have figured (actually, once again) that at least lower/middle management of the workshop feel no guilt in misleading customers. I heard from them that they had ordered the parts long time back and is yet to come. But on talking to lower level employees, I figured that the parts were ordered only on Monday when I inquired them, and escalated the issue.

Lessons learnt:
1) Electronic parts inside SX4 are very vulnerable to water because of their non-waterproof packaging and their placement; this car is not for India. The circuit board for power steering is just in front of gear lever at same level as the clutch pedal, and another circuit board is just behind the parking break lever. I cannot rely on SX4 in case water enters inside car.
2) Some people at Maruti or this workshop are unprofessional enough that one has to continuously follow with these people till work gets completed.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:19   #12

I am going through much mental agony since last few days with this wait, getting false hope and doing rounds and rounds of the workshop which could have been easily avoided if these people at Varuna Maruti would have been professional to honor their words. I do not know if there is anything a customer can do in such situation other than to suffer and pray. Is there any forum to complaint or give the feedback?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks