Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.

Hey ,

This is karthik from hyderabad.I'm a car enthusiast, I am a 17 year old(18 in oct)joining an engineering college this year for mechanical engineering undergrad.Because I love machines,their fabrication and love they way they are put together.

Been stalking teambhp for as long as i can remember,teambhp has become my favorite past time.I love reading posts from the 4x4 section , Travelogues, almost everything.

Guys from hyderabad know the situation of the city. We had our board exams postponed then we had our cet exam postponed as well which delayed the college reopening dates by almost a month and i am on vacation from may this year.To kill boredom and overdosing on autoforums and discovery turbo, me and my friends decided to make a small buggy-like contraption which is having its wonderful flaws we are enjoying correcting.

There is nothing innovative in this thing , we bought an old kinetic for 6k ( Biggest mistake as we didn't do any market research ) from Afzal gunj( Hyderabad's answer to Mayapuri).This guy ripped us off big time.Then we figured the engine is a whole mess , so we had to re-build it , rebuilding an engine for a 12th grader is a wonderful experience and for the first time in my life i have opened up an engine and seen its inner parts and sudden connection between theory and practicality was established , we replaced it's piston , and some how got it up and running , the chassis design we found it on the internet , but from the lack of proper equipment ( cutting it in angles and stuff ) we weren't able to replicate the plan so made a derivate from this plan which we could do , very engrossing.The body was made wider to replace a roll-cage, cost effectiveness you see. The whole thing was built in 13k which i think could be much lower atleast by 3 - 4k

And i will keep the rest of the story with me as it's not at all interesting, but a
memorable experience for me! the thread that i read here on tbhp about the ss01 was a real inspiration, finding similarities between our buggy-like-contraption and the ss01 is hard but the idea was the same.

Now the flaws:thanks to our wonderful friend who thought suspensions are not at all necessary( drawing inspiration from his bicycle ) , we didn't install them only to realize that we were dumb. The ride is horrible and i'm scared to go more than 20kmph in it for the fear or breaking the whole thing. We'll get it solved by this weekend got a design for a double wish bone suspension which we can integrate into our kart with minimum modification to the chassis although two rods at the back will need to be removed.

So there is some work to do and there are plans to make a buggy with a m800 or a mg410 engine when we have the funds.Most of the work was done by us , except some engine repair which was done by a mechanic. The benefit of this was I've learnt to weld , cut steel/ iron! something that will be of a great use and also learnt to disconnect , reconnect wiring, we have retained the electric start and also installed a electronic kill-switch.I can go on and on about this project but ill save your lives and stop it here.

My other interests are listening to music,watching movies and travelling.I love topgear

Here are some pics of our S7RRWDCDV ( Single Cylinder 7bhp rear engined rear wheel drive chain driven vehicle;what a geeky name) ,when it first saw the light of day , the electric start and kill switch was not installed , the engine was leaking due to excessive fuel from the scooty fuel tank(which was kindly donated by that afzal gunj guy who ripped us of) , all these issues are now fixed.I will post the new pics if anybody is interested
Attached Thumbnails
Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.-44393_1613307492000_1215678059_31723721_3626414_n.jpg  

Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.-41044_1613314092165_1215678059_31723759_979432_n.jpg  

Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.-41044_1613314372172_1215678059_31723765_3611839_n.jpg  

Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.-44393_1613307732006_1215678059_31723727_2829741_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2010 at 12:40. Reason: 2 smileys max. Please read the Team-BHP rules.
karthik123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 23:25   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That is an excellent car you got there. Congrats! And welcome to T-BHP. And do keep in mind that only two smileys per post.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow Karthik! Nice write up and interesting contraption you've built there! Love the computer chair

Keep posting!
Old 30th August 2010, 23:53   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys , anekho the cushion on the computer chair saves ones derrière from the vibrations of the kinetic's engine, the chair even rotates 180 degrees which we are trying to fix
Old 31st August 2010, 00:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

This absolutely wonderful!I am mechanical engineer too and i love these sort of DIY projects!
Scooty wheels and m800 steering assembly
Welcome to Tbhp.
Oh btw it would be surely interesting if you post more pictures of S7RRWDCDV.You can start a thread and give a complete stepby step process of what you have done and what you intend to do(like fitting of the wishbones).

Last edited by avishar : 31st August 2010 at 00:24.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:59   #6
BHPian

thanks avishar, glad to know that your an mech e too!
well two wheels are kinetics and the other two are scootys and sure i will try to document the process when we install the suspension as the S7RRWDCDV will go under the spanner again,not sure about wishbones will ask some mechanic for some expert advice :P
Old 17th September 2010, 12:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik123 View Post
a small buggy-like contraption which is having its wonderful flaws we are enjoying correcting
Thats the most fun, and where most of the learning (and innovation) will happen too!

Quote:
There is nothing innovative in this thing
Hang on...

Quote:
The body was made wider to replace a roll-cage, cost effectiveness you see.
^^ i think thats innovative enough!

Quote:
S7RRWDCDV ( Single Cylinder 7bhp rear engined rear wheel drive chain driven vehicle;what a geeky name)
!!

Great project, and an awesome starting point. Wish you luck for the future projects -- do keep us in the loop.

cya
R

PS - Couple of things to note :
1) I've moved this thread to the technical section (since intro threads close automatically after a while)
2) 2 smileys per post max
3) Please make sure you take a look at point #2 here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...etiquette.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2010 at 12:43.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hahahaha, I have the same chair. Nonetheless, kudos. You will put most to shame by the time you grow up and make something out of yourself.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Good one !

Extremely good & commendable effort, I've seen final-year college projects worse than this (really !)

Quote:
I'm a car enthusiast, I am a 17 year old (18 in oct) joining an engineering college this year for mechanical engineering undergrad.
Only 17 years ! I guess I was mistaken in thinking the youth of our country was going to the dogs - thanks for changing my perception.

Quote:
The whole thing was built in 13k which i think could be much lower atleast by 3 - 4k.
Best use of 13K I can find on TBHP, please post more detailed pics.

Quote:
thanks to our wonderful friend who thought suspensions are not at all necessary (drawing inspiration from his bicycle), we didn't install them only to realize that we were dumb.
You could may be turn this into a racing kart or similar, can't get more fun in a smaller package.

Quote:
The benefit of this was I've learnt to weld, cut steel/ iron !
Cutting metal with fire, as Tim Allen would say "Argh, Argh, Argh"
Old 17th September 2010, 13:35   #10
BANNED

Best of luck guys ,

Men like US keep thinking ( on a project ) & you have simply made it

wonderfull , I am short of words here .

I will suggest you preserve it & keep on Improvising ,this is THE best method to learn anything .

Again Best of luck for further developements .

Sudarshan
Old 17th September 2010, 14:12   #11
BHPian

Great effort!

How about the brakes? Does it have any? could not find any mention of it in your post. Another suggestion! you could look at removing that unnecessary running board around the seats. could save some weight there.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thats the most fun, and where most of the learning (and innovation) will happen too!

Hang on...

^^ i think thats innovative enough!

!!

Great project, and an awesome starting point. Wish you luck for the future projects -- do keep us in the loop.

cya
R

PS - Couple of things to note :
1) I've moved this thread to the technical section (since intro threads close automatically after a while)
2) 2 smileys per post max
3) Please make sure you take a look at point #2 here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...etiquette.html
Thank you Rehan for moving this to the technical forum, never thought so many people will be interested in the progress. Very little work has been done so far, just did some minor repairs and bought the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Hahahaha, I have the same chair. Nonetheless, kudos. You will put most to shame by the time you grow up and make something out of yourself.
Thank you! everybody seems to love that chair, looks really comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Extremely good & commendable effort, I've seen final-year college projects worse than this (really !)

Only 17 years ! I guess I was mistaken in thinking the youth of our country was going to the dogs - thanks for changing my perception.

Best use of 13K I can find on TBHP, please post more detailed pics.

You could may be turn this into a racing kart or similar, can't get more fun in a smaller package.

Cutting metal with fire, as Tim Allen would say "Argh, Argh, Argh"
Those are some big words! yes this is the best use of 13k i can find too. The initial idea was to make a buggy but it turned out like this, we are improving this for more fun, but this is lighter than the original kinetic so far,the acceleration is huge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Best of luck guys ,

Men like US keep thinking ( on a project ) & you have simply made it

wonderfull , I am short of words here .

I will suggest you preserve it & keep on Improvising ,this is THE best method to learn anything .

Again Best of luck for further developements .

Sudarshan
Thanks Sudarshan, the S7RRWDCDV is here to stay, we are planning some cosmetic improvements to this, apart from the usual mechanical improvements it needs( like applying a base coat before the actual paint ). We are planning on a small cost-effective roll cage since the GC will increase after putting on the springs, should see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Great effort!

How about the brakes? Does it have any? could not find any mention of it in your post. Another suggestion! you could look at removing that unnecessary running board around the seats. could save some weight there.
There is a scooty drum brake on the right front wheel, this was very dangerous because sometimes this wheel will be in the air when we're taking a turn ( something like a tripod), today we've installed brakes on the other wheel as well, will post new pictures when everything is done including the suspension.
here's a picture of the scooty brakes
Attached Thumbnails
Hello Bhpians! Check out the S7RRWDCDV we built.-41044_1613314412173_1215678059_31723766_6312772_n.jpg  

Old 18th September 2010, 21:12   #13
BHPian

great work Karthik. you've not only put great use of your money but also your time and energy. i'm a mech engg myself and i wish i had some sort of a vacation like what you have. anyway whatever you've done looks good.

looks like you are craving for a suspension.
you mentioned your vehicle is lighter and faster than the actual kinetic honda, so i think you should watch the weight when you setup the suspension. anything off a car would seem to be too heavy that would just be stiff as there is not enough load to make them travel, and as the car's suspension is heavy by itself it will ruin the performance of your machine.
share your thoughts on what plans you have for the suspension and get suggestions form everyone.
and while you at at it try to get better brakes. i know you must have planned something. if you could do this much you sure must have.

again great work buddy.

Last edited by msaudf : 18th September 2010 at 21:17.
Old 18th September 2010, 21:31   #14
BHPian

Man, Karthik, this is a phenomenal project you guys have undertaken. Seriously, there's no better way to learn than this, and I am astounded at the ingenuity you guys have shown.

I am not an engineer, so I'll never be able to figure out how you did it, far less provide any meaningful suggestions. But I am a mktg professional, and I'd like to give a humble suggestion, or rather a thought -

The shape of your roll-cage looks too much like a coffin to me - is there no way you can modify it somehow, without actually affecting any of the mechanics/dynamics of the vehicle?

Just a thought there... :-)

EDIT: PS: Also, please put up the new pics as soon as you can. Cheers, R_S.
Old 19th September 2010, 00:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
great work Karthik. you've not only put great use of your money but also your time and energy. i'm a mech engg myself and i wish i had some sort of a vacation like what you have. anyway whatever you've done looks good.

looks like you are craving for a suspension.
you mentioned your vehicle is lighter and faster than the actual kinetic honda, so i think you should watch the weight when you setup the suspension. anything off a car would seem to be too heavy that would just be stiff as there is not enough load to make them travel, and as the car's suspension is heavy by itself it will ruin the performance of your machine.
share your thoughts on what plans you have for the suspension and get suggestions form everyone.
and while you at at it try to get better brakes. i know you must have planned something. if you could do this much you sure must have.

again great work buddy.
We're using a suspension from a bike because a cars suspension will be very heavy like you said. I wanted to install a disc brake on the shaft or near the sprocket but disc brakes are very costly but i think two drum brakes mounted beside the front wheels should be efficient enough

We got the sprocket ratio wrong i guess, around 1:4, it accelerates very quickly but the engine is under lots of load it feels like a car is been driven at a higher rpm on a lower gear, i asked a mechanic and he said its like this but aren't kinetic engines supposed to have some sort of transmission? v-matic or something? Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
Man, Karthik, this is a phenomenal project you guys have undertaken. Seriously, there's no better way to learn than this, and I am astounded at the ingenuity you guys have shown.

I am not an engineer, so I'll never be able to figure out how you did it, far less provide any meaningful suggestions. But I am a mktg professional, and I'd like to give a humble suggestion, or rather a thought -

The shape of your roll-cage looks too much like a coffin to me - is there no way you can modify it somehow, without actually affecting any of the mechanics/dynamics of the vehicle?

Just a thought there... :-)

EDIT: PS: Also, please put up the new pics as soon as you can. Cheers, R_S.
Thanks man, yes the body looks like a coffin box but i don't think anything can be done about it, except thinking it doesn't look like a coffin , we can add a few rods on top of it a spoil that coffin look but we need to go rod shopping again and then cutting-welding-painting the biggest pain is going rod shopping again.Lets see after installing the suspension it changes it looks to distract from that look, will try to do something about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks