Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sedimenter Light issue in Innova. Folks on the road!

Guys, i need an urgent help from you all.

My parents are on the way to bangalore in my innova with my driver. I am here in mumbai. My mom called to inform me that the car is showing a "water in fuel" light again & again. i assume she is talking about the sedimenter light. She said the driver called the toyota helpline who asked them to switch the car off whenever the light appears, remove the water & then restart the car & come to the nearest A.S.S, which apparently is very far away & they cannot reach there before closing time since its already too late.

Problem is the light appears every 10 mins or so & he has to stop the car, remove the water & then drive which is really delaying their schedule. they still have a long way to go.

My query is:
1) is it ok if he drives with the sedimenter light on?
2) will the light go automatically after fresh diesel is filled or would we need to take the car to the A.S.S anyways?
Old 31st August 2010, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, i need an urgent help from you all.

My parents are on the way to bangalore in my innova with my driver. I am here in mumbai. My mom called to inform me that the car is showing a "water in fuel" light again & again. i assume she is talking about the sedimenter light. She said the driver called the toyota helpline who asked them to switch the car off whenever the light appears, remove the water & then restart the car & come to the nearest A.S.S, which apparently is very far away & they cannot reach there before closing time since its already too late.

Problem is the light appears every 10 mins or so & he has to stop the car, remove the water & then drive which is really delaying their schedule. they still have a long way to go.

My query is:
1) is it ok if he drives with the sedimenter light on?
2) will the light go automatically after fresh diesel is filled or would we need to take the car to the A.S.S anyways?
Sedimenter is just a Diesel & water separator, so that water in the Diesel doesnt flow to the engine. As your driver has already removed water from it, I doubt if it will accumulate water so quickly. It might be sensor issue or sedimenter going bad.

Ask your driver to drain it one last time with some bottle below (empty bisleri cut from center), does he see water in the bottle and diesel seperately ??, if no, which is what I would presume, carry on without any worry.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the quick response dadu. from what i have heard, every time the light blinks, the driver just manages to remove a few drops of water into a bottle & then starts the engine. anyways, i'll ask him to check what you have mentioned.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

A weak battery also can result in this.
Old 31st August 2010, 19:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Eddy, what is the reason for that? Is the sensor for the sedimenter especially sensitive to low voltage? Or some other reason?

cya
R
Old 31st August 2010, 22:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the driver is emptying the fuel tank & filling in fresh diesel. will this solve the problem?

Also, toyota A.S.S is asking 40k to rectify the issue. even if its a faulty sensor or if they need to change the filter, will it cost 40k?
Old 31st August 2010, 22:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is no way that water can accumulate so fast that you need to clean every 10 minutes.

Did your driver tank up at some shady pump? (Recently we had, was it a Ikon???, that was doing the same route, and the fuel from a HP pump that looked very decent, turned out to be more water than fuel!) If so, then the cleaning and refueling might help.

But 40k? For what? Not sure what those guys are charging you for, but which center is this? And why don't you get in touch with your regular center and ask them to have a chat with the people at the other end? It might work out better.
Old 1st September 2010, 08:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

He filled up in mumbai, from the bunk we usually fill all our cars. He has cleaned & emptied the tank yesterday. Lets see whats in store for today.

The A.S.S here claims until & unless they see the car, they cant judge the issue & so asked us to take the car to the nearest A.S.S.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

So, bad fuel ruled out. Unless there is some other mess, it looks like a sensor issue.

And, where are they now?
Old 1st September 2010, 11:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Eddy, what is the reason for that? Is the sensor for the sedimenter especially sensitive to low voltage? Or some other reason?

cya
R
I don't know Rehaan. I am facing this issue currently on my 83k old Swift battery. But its not as frquent as Raj. I have to switch off and restart a couple of times before it gets normal again. Maybe once in two days.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

i think its bad fuel. after the refuelling yesterday, today the car is showing no problems, till now. they are on their way to kerela from karnataka.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think its bad fuel. after the refuelling yesterday, today the car is showing no problems, till now. they are on their way to kerela from karnataka.
So T.A.S.S were asking 40k to do the same thing or is there any issue going unnoticed. I would suggest to for a full checkup anyways later on.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes, once the car reaches kerela, we would be taking it to the toyota A.S.S to get this checked.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Haha its nothing but a loose sensor plug. Get someone to unplug the sedimenter sensor and have a look at the wires. If the wires are ok just plug it back in properly and the issue will be resolved.

Most Viewed