Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 12:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ford has replacement warranty for wiper blades for shuddering, just ask the service advisor if he could replace the wipers under warranty. The reason for shuddering/squeaking may be the accidental wiping in dry conditions!

I had similar problem in Figo and wiperblades were replaced under warranty!
Old 9th September 2010, 12:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
.. 10 month old, stock wiper rubber on my Fiesta when purchased in Nov 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Ford has replacement warranty for wiper blades for shuddering,
Will be very good if you can get a warranty replacement. Else, dont sweat over it. Go for either Bosch or Syndicate. Remember - if you buy from the Ford A.S.S, they are likely to charge you for replacement also. (They do this for some simple replacements also). Check outside before you buy from the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Or, put some detergent in the wiper tank. Spray them while shuddering.
Again, not to scrimp on this. Better get a small bottle of windshield washer fluid. Available as small bottles in most accessories shops.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:29   #18
BHPian

The wipers must have caught cold !!!
Jokes apart, I think the blades need replacement. On casual inspection, they may seem to be fine, but actually the rubber may be worn off.BTW, how old are they?
Old 9th September 2010, 12:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Ford has replacement warranty for wiper blades for shuddering, just ask the service advisor if he could replace the wipers under warranty. The reason for shuddering/squeaking may be the accidental wiping in dry conditions!

My 12 month old Fiesta had a problem with wiper blades - though no shuddering, it was not wiping properly. And during my 3rd service two weeks back, the SA did point out this but didnt tell me it could be replaced under warranty. Are you sure that blades are covered under warranty or only the motor?
Old 9th September 2010, 12:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Will talk to Ford and let you know once done. I hope they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
The wipers must have caught cold !!!
Jokes apart, I think the blades need replacement. On casual inspection, they may seem to be fine, but actually the rubber may be worn off.BTW, how old are they?
They are 10 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Will be very good if you can get a warranty replacement. Else, dont sweat over it. Go for either Bosch or Syndicate. Remember - if you buy from the Ford A.S.S, they are likely to charge you for replacement also. (They do this for some simple replacements also). Check outside before you buy from the dealer.

Again, not to scrimp on this. Better get a small bottle of windshield washer fluid. Available as small bottles in most accessories shops.
Agreed, no point in hassling with Ford if they dont replace it under warranty. I guess Ford provides their brand of wiper blade rubbers if they are to replace it or I should buy form them and not the branded once like Bosch as you suggested.

BTW what would be the cost of the branded wiper rubbers. Should be well within 500/- right.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wiper blades warranty is for 6 months (somewhere I read 10 months too) or 10000 km whichever is earlier.

Yes I am sure about the warranty, I got the bill too where the wipers cost was given but I was not charged citing warranty. I will see if I can post the bill here!

Quote:
BTW what would be the cost of the branded wiper rubbers. Should be well within 500/- right.

For figo each one costed 194 (inclusive taxes) should be in that range for Fiesta too!

Last edited by anilisanil : 9th September 2010 at 12:51.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

@anilsanil,

Thanks for the information.

Will definitely visit Ford this weekend and get this thing sorted out.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

As others said, it is definitely an issue with the blades---get 'em changed pronto. I agree it should have lasted longer. Mine lasted for 3 monsoons and I changed them only this year when I got that juddering sound.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess Ford provides their brand of wiper blade rubbers if they are to replace it or I should buy form them and not the branded once like Bosch as you suggested.
Ford has this policy of not selling spares alone. Apparently every spare part used must go with a job card - and hence labor billing. This policy may be applicable to wiper blades also (though am not sure). Hence asked you to check prices outside & then compare with price at ford (incl installation).

Bosch / Syndicate are good enough. You can get them from outside & fix them yourself. I am using Bosch, and am fine with those. Bosch would cost you about 300 -330 for a pair.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:54   #25
BHPian

I have the same problem recently on my Baleno. I had just replaced the blades, which I do every two years, using Bosch blades, and I found one of them chattering across the glass, on the upward stroke.
Researched it on the net, and the culprit was pointed out to be either dirt on the blades (which mine did not have), oily film on the glass (which I had) and wiper arms to be adjusted so the blades rest perfectly horizontal on the glass (which was okay in my case).
I then remembered I had used Rain-X on the glass earlier. So I wiped it clean with lots of washing-up liquid, and wiped the blades as well. That did the trick, problem solved.

Last edited by filcord : 9th September 2010 at 14:55.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have lately observing the wipers in my Ford Fiesta to shudder when they sweep across the front windscreem. There is also noise during the wiper movement which I supsect to be coming from the wiper motors. The shuddering happens to both the wiper blades and occurs when the wipers approaches the final edge of the sweep. What could be the reason for the same?

I have inspected the wiper blade rubber and found no cracks, chipping or any abuse. Similarly the wiper blade arm is freely operatable without any stickiness. This noise and the shuddering of the wiper is seen at all positions of wiper speeds - intermittent and variable speed positions.

Expert BHPians kindly advise.

MODS: If any existing thread available please merge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have the same problem recently on my Baleno.
I found one of them chattering across the glass, on the upward stroke.
Researched it on the net, and the culprit was pointed out to be either dirt on the blades (which mine did not have), oily film on the glass (which I had) and wiper arms to be adjusted so the blades rest perfectly horizontal on the glass (which was okay in my case).
I then remembered I had used Rain-X on the glass earlier. So I wiped it clean with lots of washing-up liquid, and wiped the blades as well. That did the trick, problem solved.
this is just because the blades bottom get warped ; as a result on the upward/ return stroke, you feel the shudder and also see some irregular marks on the windscreen.

Yes,the best solution obviously is a replacement.

A "gol maal" solution,though, is to bend the wiper arms slightly,which is just not advisable
Old 9th September 2010, 21:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford has this policy of not selling spares alone. Apparently every spare part used must go with a job card - and hence labor billing. This policy may be applicable to wiper blades also (though am not sure). Hence asked you to check prices outside & then compare with price at ford (incl installation).
Off-topic:
I have bought spare parts (including an alternator) off the shelf for my Ikon and recently bought a 1-Din trim kit for my Fiesta from Ford dealer.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Ford has this policy of not selling spares alone. Apparently every spare part used must go with a job card - and hence labor billing.
Incidentally so does Maruti. I needed to replace my air-filter recently, and the local Sai Service told me they must make a job-card, even though I am perfectly able to remove the old filter and replace it. It sounds like a restrictive trade practice to me.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:37   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti spares are available across the counter from Maruti's spares dealers. Not so with Ford.

@Filcord, what you have experienced would be the case with that particular Maruti A.S.S only
Old 11th September 2010, 22:38   #30
BHPian

I don't know. Perhaps MASS and Maruti dealers will not sell spares over the counter any more, because I have had this experience with both Sai and Chowgules, the only Maruti dealers in Goa. Is there any other sales outlet besides dealerships?

Most Viewed