Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 23:03   #31
BHPian

Angle of the blade edge on the glass.

Shuddering is caused by the inability of the blade to change angle during the change over stroke.

In the slowest speed of the wiper check that the edge of the blade follows the arm in the up or down stroke. If the edge remains ahead of the metal arm this shuddering will occur much sooner than it would normally. It is aggravated by hardening of the rubber and also variance in spring tension relative to the rubber edge.
Spring tension should be low enough to allow the rubber edge to rollover in the return stroke such that the edge follows the body of the rubber and metal arm.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2010, 09:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
when operated at the MASS it may not occur.
Typical of vehicles to behave when taken to the service centre or the mechanic. I have had the same experience with my bike(s) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am thinking of changing to Bosh wiper blades for this monsoon. I heard they are the best.
I had trouble with my OE Syndicate wipers on my Esteem and went in for Bosch basis feedback similar to what you heard. However, I must say that they are equally bad and the shudder continues from day one of replacement. This is more pronounced at the lowest speed (INT). The shudder tends to subside with an increase in wiper speed and after using it for sometime continuously in rain.

Having said the above, the wiper blades on my Civic (I heard they are Bosch as well) are doing their job well.

Last edited by rr_zen : 12th September 2010 at 09:24.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:00   #33
BHPian

Quality of the blade has nothing to do with shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I had trouble with my OE Syndicate wipers on my Esteem and went in for Bosch basis feedback similar to what you heard. However, I must say that they are equally bad and the shudder continues from day one of replacement.

Having said the above, the wiper blades on my Civic (I heard they are Bosch as well) are doing their job well.
Take the shuddering blades and put them on the civic and you will notice that they do not shudder. Take the oldest blades you have and put them onto the civic and they will not shudder because of the angle of the metal base to the glass.
Shudder is caused by the angle of the blade on the glass during the stroke and has nothing to do with the quality or age of the blade. Only when the blade is not able to roll over on the edge will shudder occur. The rubber edge should always follow the metal base during a stroke. IF the edge is ahead of the metal base there will be shudder aggravated by spring tension.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 13th September 2010 at 00:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks