Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 11:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@divguy:

People have had issues with Safari due to poor QC at the factory. The company however, has been good about replacing the parts under warranty. As TSK pointed out the potential issue could be repeated visits to TASS for non-scheduled service. Also as I pointed out before what happens after your 4 Year extended warranty period runs out, it will be best to sell the vehicle. This is where resale matters.

If you can push your purchase by a year or so, Aria maybe a good buy and also the new World SUV planned from Mahindra. These vehicles will be much more advanced than their current offerings, i.e Safari/Scorpio.

Regarding the Safari, I think complete breakdowns seem to be rare these days and the odds are no different from any other vehicle in it's class. In my case the major issue against the Safari was the third row seating. When seven of us are traveling, it is very uncomfortable for people in the third row to sit for extended periods facing side ways. It is also dangerous in a crash so, I was left with no option but Scorpio. If Safari had front facing third row seats, I feel, I may have overlooked my other concerns and jumped for the Safari. Even after 10 years, you can't deny that it looks so classy.
Old 11th September 2010, 14:41   #17
BHPian

I own a 3.0 Safari Dicor and when time comes to replace it I would again go for a Safari

I have had maruthis and fords in my garage before but none gave me the satisfaction which I got from my safari be it parking next to my boss's car in the basement and revving it with a grin on my face or taking it offroad on Hosur road when there used to be traffic jams with everyone stuck on the road the the beast easily maneuvering on the muddy and rocky terrain adjacent to the roads.For me it was and always be the safari.

And as far as reliability is concerned there is a lemon in every brand.Be it Skoda or be it Ford.So it all depends how good you do your PDI before you take possession of the vehicle.No one is on t-bhp by chance.Its not destiny.Its the hunger and passion about loving their possession on 2 or 4 wheels.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 11th September 2010 at 14:43.
Old 11th September 2010, 23:15   #18
Team-BHP Support

Actually you are very much out of luck when 2 year warranty runs out.
For example I paid 2600rs 2 days back for Read door latch, and power window switches, both electronic parts and not covered under extended warranty.
Parts like engine and drivetrain will not fail after 10 years also if you maintain your vehicle well.
If your vehicle has a manufacturing defect, it will show in first 15000kms, or first year or so.
For example, in our safari, all the critical component issues(Radiator, Clutch, Fuel system, common rain, 4x4 hubs started giving problem by 10,000kms on the odo.)

The problem will be niggles.
Expensive niggles
Rear latch internal light switch goes kaput? 950rs
Power window switches having an issue? 850rs
Center pin issue? 1000rs odd
Tie rod problem? 3000rs
etc., etc.,

So she won't break down if you follow "A stitch in time saves 9"
But every stitch costs money, atleast 180rs minimum, as any workshop will put atleast 30 minutes labor charges
Old 11th September 2010, 23:49   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@divguy:

People have had issues with Safari due to poor QC at the factory. The company however, has been good about replacing the parts under warranty. As TSK pointed out the potential issue could be repeated visits to TASS for non-scheduled service. Also as I pointed out before what happens after your 4 Year extended warranty period runs out, it will be best to sell the vehicle. This is where resale matters.

If you can push your purchase by a year or so, Aria maybe a good buy and also the new World SUV planned from Mahindra. These vehicles will be much more advanced than their current offerings, i.e Safari/Scorpio.

Regarding the Safari, I think complete breakdowns seem to be rare these days and the odds are no different from any other vehicle in it's class. In my case the major issue against the Safari was the third row seating. When seven of us are traveling, it is very uncomfortable for people in the third row to sit for extended periods facing side ways. It is also dangerous in a crash so, I was left with no option but Scorpio. If Safari had front facing third row seats, I feel, I may have overlooked my other concerns and jumped for the Safari. Even after 10 years, you can't deny that it looks so classy.
+1 to what you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I own a 3.0 Safari Dicor and when time comes to replace it I would again go for a Safari

I have had maruthis and fords in my garage before but none gave me the satisfaction which I got from my safari be it parking next to my boss's car in the basement and revving it with a grin on my face or taking it offroad on Hosur road when there used to be traffic jams with everyone stuck on the road the the beast easily maneuvering on the muddy and rocky terrain adjacent to the roads.For me it was and always be the safari.

And as far as reliability is concerned there is a lemon in every brand.Be it Skoda or be it Ford.So it all depends how good you do your PDI before you take possession of the vehicle.No one is on t-bhp by chance.Its not destiny.Its the hunger and passion about loving their possession on 2 or 4 wheels.
Rightly said, I say it again and again on T-BHP.

We have had only 2 or 3 Safari's with major issues, out of 250+ Safari's on this Very own FORUM. What is the probability

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually you are very much out of luck when 2 year warranty runs out.
For example I paid 2600rs 2 days back for Read door latch, and power window switches, both electronic parts and not covered under extended warranty.
Parts like engine and drivetrain will not fail after 10 years also if you maintain your vehicle well.
If your vehicle has a manufacturing defect, it will show in first 15000kms, or first year or so.
For example, in our safari, all the critical component issues(Radiator, Clutch, Fuel system, common rain, 4x4 hubs started giving problem by 10,000kms on the odo.)

The problem will be niggles.
Expensive niggles
Rear latch internal light switch goes kaput? 950rs
Power window switches having an issue? 850rs
Center pin issue? 1000rs odd
Tie rod problem? 3000rs
etc., etc.,

So she won't break down if you follow "A stitch in time saves 9"
But every stitch costs money, atleast 180rs minimum, as any workshop will put atleast 30 minutes labor charges
Well, we have gone through Tanveers Highs and Lows of Safari ownership.

Both the +ves and -ves weigh up equally when balanced in his case.

When it comes to driving and passenger comfort during mile munching capability for a MUV or a SUV, None matches the Safari in its class. leave alone its Amazing road presence and VFM.
Old 12th September 2010, 01:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think following two points speak for safari's reliability:

1) It is the official carrier for most famous Gandhi and also many other Z+ security politicians. If they had any doubt on its reliability, it wouldn't have been there.

2) Recently, about 100 odd Safaris have been trusted to ferry VVIPs in CWG 2010 Delhi.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 12th September 2010 at 01:18. Reason: typo
Old 12th September 2010, 08:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Recently, about 100 odd Safaris have been trusted to ferry VVIPs in CWG 2010 Delhi.
I wouldnt go by choices of CWG etc. Those are marketing ploys which create high visibility and hence increase credibility in the eyes of the common man (such as me)

@PAVAN KADAM- Tanveer's issues are certainly food for thought.

@4x4addict- I just may push my purchase out by a few months till I work out my finances on how to go about my Safari purchase

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th September 2010 at 19:40. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Safari roll. I am yet to take a test drive. BTW does anyone know if the Aria is a replacement for the Safari platform?
You suggested that you own an Qualis. Having driven both innova and qualis for reasonable distances (I own an Innova VX), I can assure you that the nose bobbing and body roll in the Innova is much less compared to the Qualis. The Safari has a significantly higher body roll compared to the innova. Reg Innova - for MUVs below 20 lakhs, you will be hard pressed to get a better combination of ride comfort, handling and straight line stability at three digit speeds.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Reg Innova - for MUVs below 20 lakhs, you will be hard pressed to get a better combination of ride comfort, handling and straight line stability at three digit speeds.
The Innova is definitely a winner, but there is something in that which causes many of my kin to feal nausea during long travel. It could also be the visibility of the roads and claustrophobic effect of the seating/windows. I cannot really say. Another friend of mine sold his Innova and went abroad. On his return he doesnt want to go in for the Innova for the same motion sickness effect his family had as well.

I am looking at the Sonalika Rhino due to its similarities with the Qualis. I know next to nothing about the company and intend doing some research here...
Old 13th September 2010, 12:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am looking at the Sonalika Rhino due to its similarities with the Qualis. I know next to nothing about the company and intend doing some research here...
I would rather you retain the Qualis, than replace it with the Rhino. Personally, i feel the Safari has greater body roll than the Innova.

That aside, the Safari does make you feel great being in one. The road presence is just amazing! I had a TD of the VX over the weekend, and loved it.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I would rather you retain the Qualis, than replace it with the Rhino. Personally, i feel the Safari has greater body roll than the Innova.

That aside, the Safari does make you feel great being in one. The road presence is just amazing! I had a TD of the VX over the weekend, and loved it.
I am retaining the Qualis. I just wanted a bigger ride than my current Swift Zxi since the Qualis is being driven by my wife
Old 13th September 2010, 14:24   #26
BANNED

Quote:
I wouldnt go by choices of CWG etc. Those are marketing ploys which create high visibility and hence increase credibility in the eyes of the common man (such as me)
Precisely.
Also, if this were true, the Ambassador should be the best car in India since it still ferries most ministers and even the defense chiefs.

Quote:
Please ingore the Rhino completely. I have quite a few of them as our office cabs and no driver/owner is happy about its performance, spares and most of all, its stability. It was a shameless attempt by Sonalika to copy the Qualis which bombed.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

My Jijaji has lived in US for a decade and used Nissan/Toyota. In India (Chandigarh), he bought a Safari in 2007-08 after driving an Esteem from 2005-07. Totally disgusted with Safari and thinks himself foolish to have gone for it. Not even able to sell it.
Old 13th September 2010, 18:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

my opinion
Reliability and quality in todays real indian market is quatified by toyota innova and its selling figures month on month
personally nothing against die hardfans of safari or scorpio incl me

Go for innova
Thnx
Old 13th September 2010, 19:21   #29
BANNED

Quote:
I am retaining the Qualis. I just wanted a bigger ride than my current Swift Zxi since the Qualis is being driven by my wife
Wait for the Aria...

Thats all what i can say.

There is large number of Happy Safari owners on this forum.

The ones that dont like the Safari ownership maybe 3.
Old 13th September 2010, 20:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Please ingore the Rhino completely. I have quite a few of them as our office cabs and no driver/owner is happy about its performance, spares and most of all, its stability. It was a shameless attempt by Sonalika to copy the Qualis which bombed.
I did some study here on the Rhino and saw some new features, colors etc, but I guess am going to skip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
My Jijaji has lived in US for a decade and used Nissan/Toyota. In India (Chandigarh), he bought a Safari in 2007-08 after driving an Esteem from 2005-07. Totally disgusted with Safari and thinks himself foolish to have gone for it. Not even able to sell it.
I looked at the classifieds here today and was surprised at the pretty low going rate for used Safaris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
my opinion

Go for innova
Thnx
I probably will end up with a Toyota only I guess. May put off my purchase for a year or two till I can probably afford a better SUV - new or used

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wait for the Aria...
I am not sure the scene may be any different with the Aria.What with all the initial quirks they have with all of their new platforms when released - Indica, Nano etc
Closed Thread

Most Viewed