Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 14:27   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari - A Reliable Choice?

I've been considering getting a Safari or a Grande for a few weeks now. I currently own a Qualis (2000) and a Swift (2006). After reading of the issues in new Safaris on this thread, I am wondering if Tata engines are worth taking a risk on. Reading a lot of issues on oil leaks, TCIC issues, stopping suddenly, need to stop vehicle when run for a few hours etc.
I have never had such issues with my Qualis in the 10 years I have owned it. There has never been a reliability issue. I have driven it about 700Km mostly non-stop with a stop for lunch thats all.
Likewise my Swift Zxi petrol, never had any issues other than regular service and maybe a dent or two, rusting of metal etc. Nothing to do with the engine ever.
Any thoughts? I know people have said many times here that 'The Beast' makes one feel great during the drive etc. Same has been said for the Xenon, but there are a number of reliability issues which makes me wonder, is it really wise to go in for one of these vehicles.
I never check my oil levels etc. I know it sounds stupid considering the die hard technical guys here on this forum, but the reliability of the Qualis is such that I have never felt the need to do it.
Sorry for the long post, I am just thinking aloud and trying to decide whether I should close on the Safari or not...
Old 10th September 2010, 14:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
diyguy : Reading a lot of issues on oil leaks, TCIC issues, stopping suddenly, need to stop vehicle when run for a few hours etc.
@DIYGUY, problems happen and to get fixed. You will have this with many makes .. not just Tata.

Quote:
diyguy : Btw, have you heard of Jay's Safari that runs continuously for more than 1-2 days ?

I never check my oil levels etc. .. but the reliability of the Qualis is such that I have never felt the need to do it.
If you dont do these basic checks, you are being negligent in it's use & maintenance. Forget the hard technical guys on the forum - even the owner's manual of the Qualis will say you must regularly check these things.

Btw, between Safari & Grande : go for Safari. No grande, pls. If you dont want the Safari, then look outside of Tata.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I've been considering getting a Safari or a Grande for a few weeks now. I currently own a Qualis (2000) and a Swift (2006). After reading of the issues in new Safaris on this thread, I am wondering if Tata engines are worth taking a risk on. Reading a lot of issues on oil leaks, TCIC issues, stopping suddenly, need to stop vehicle when run for a few hours etc.
I have never had such issues with my Qualis in the 10 years I have owned it. There has never been a reliability issue. I have driven it about 700Km mostly non-stop with a stop for lunch thats all.
Likewise my Swift Zxi petrol, never had any issues other than regular service and maybe a dent or two, rusting of metal etc. Nothing to do with the engine ever.
Any thoughts? I know people have said many times here that 'The Beast' makes one feel great during the drive etc. Same has been said for the Xenon, but there are a number of reliability issues which makes me wonder, is it really wise to go in for one of these vehicles.
I never check my oil levels etc. I know it sounds stupid considering the die hard technical guys here on this forum, but the reliability of the Qualis is such that I have never felt the need to do it.
Sorry for the long post, I am just thinking aloud and trying to decide whether I should close on the Safari or not...
To reply to you query for one last time and all those others thinking aloud.
The Safari is not a Toyota and it does come with its share of niggles which you will find in this dedicated thread. If this scares you, dont buy a Safari, because you will only curse yourself later for buying one.
Almost all the Safari owners here knew what they were going in for prior to buying one. Unfortunately some had more than their fair share of trouble but in most cases these issues were addressed in full by TML.

All problems that you talk about can present themselves in any vehicle including Toyota. I have had my vehicle engine running non stop for over 2 days with the ac on on many occasions which were primarily interstate runs to obscure locations where you mostly wouldnt dream to take your Qualis to. And for all my share of trouble, I trust my Safari as much as I trust my Toyota, because I have not been stranded enroute anywhere even once in 2.5yrs of ownership.
Without wanting to sound pompous, Iam a spoilt owner like yourself and am not in the habit of looking under the bonnet.
While this post is not in support of a Safari promotion/demotion, be aware that the Safari is one of the best all rounders on and off the road in India for the price and in quite a few areas beats the more expensive examples hands down... but yes.. its not built perfect and comes with niggles and poor QC.

If you can live with it, buy one.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 10th September 2010 at 16:57. Reason: Removed the "posted in wrong thread" bit. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never check my oil levels etc.
Can I share something with you? Neither do I but shhh, don't mention it too loudly on this forum

Just to add on to what has already been said, the technical problems thread is just to share experiences, no matter how small or insignificant so that fellow owners can figure out what the issue is. There's one on the Scorpio too. Without doubt, TATA need to up their QC but are the present niggles deal breakers? Depends.....

My Safari is a 3 litre, close to 4 years old & I just dropped it off for its 90k kms service this morning. I recently posted on a thread started by GTO that when the time comes to replace it, we will be hard pressed for options, there are NONE at this price point with the space, comfort & road presence this vehicle offers. Oh & yes, we consider it reliable as well - wouldn't have done a Leh trip in it if we didn't trust it completely.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@divguy:

Since you are happy with the qualis, any particular reason why you are not considering the Innova. You get the same peace of mind as with your qualis. The safari is is a very well designed vehicle betrayed by Tata's Quality Control department. It is fine if you are planning to buy, use and sell withing the extended warranty period, ie. 4 Years and 150,000 kms. If you plant to keep for like your qualis for 10 years or so, I would never recommend it.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

This thread will have an equal share of Advantages and Dis-Advantages showcased about the Tata Safari.

According to me the people whoever will comment on this thread needs to have experienced the ride on Safari and then start commenting about the vehicle and do not post in the AIR.

The Safari is one vehicle which i will take it to any corners without any hitch in my mind and i have done nearly 70,000kms in my 2.5yrs.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@DIYGUY, problems happen and to get fixed. You will have this with many makes .. not just Tata.

If you dont do these basic checks, you are being negligent in it's use & maintenance. Forget the hard technical guys on the forum - even the owner's manual of the Qualis will say you must regularly check these things.

Btw, between Safari & Grande : go for Safari. No grande, pls. If you dont want the Safari, then look outside of Tata.
I will try to become a good T-BHPian and begin performing the checks and take care of my vehicles. I really would like to do it and will do so with my new Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@divguy:

Since you are happy with the qualis, any particular reason why you are not considering the Innova. You get the same peace of mind as with your qualis. The safari is is a very well designed vehicle betrayed by Tata's Quality Control department. It is fine if you are planning to buy, use and sell withing the extended warranty period, ie. 4 Years and 150,000 kms. If you plant to keep for like your qualis for 10 years or so, I would never recommend it.
The body rolls I feel on the Innova causes most of my family members to get motion sickness and nausea. So the Innova is a definite NoNo

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th September 2010 at 03:39. Reason: Back to back posts in less than 20 minutes.
Old 10th September 2010, 23:43   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is fine if you are planning to buy, use and sell withing the extended warranty period, ie. 4 Years and 150,000 kms. If you plant to keep for like your qualis for 10 years or so, I would never recommend it.
Couldn't have put it better.

But if you have decided to go for it, go for nothing less than the GX which has ABS.
Old 11th September 2010, 00:05   #9
Team-BHP Support

If you are looking for a vehicle which needs to go to the service center only for regular servicing, get something else. With your kind of ownership experience(toyota esp) a safari may dissapoint you.
If you are only worried about "breakdowns", do not worry, the reliability is beyond that stage now, and no worries
Old 11th September 2010, 03:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The body rolls I feel on the Innova causes most of my family members to get motion sickness and nausea. So the Innova is a definite NoNo
For that matter, Safari rolls more than the Innova. Even the vertical movement especially constant bobbing is cosiderably higher due to soft setup. The upside is, it cushions the passengers better on really bad roads.
Old 11th September 2010, 06:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For that matter, Safari rolls more than the Innova. Even the vertical movement especially constant bobbing is cosiderably higher due to soft setup. The upside is, it cushions the passengers better on really bad roads.
Thanks for the heads up on the Safari roll. I am yet to take a test drive. BTW does anyone know if the Aria is a replacement for the Safari platform?
Old 11th September 2010, 08:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

No, Aria is a different platform and vehicle
Old 11th September 2010, 08:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are looking for a vehicle which needs to go to the service center only for regular servicing, get something else. With your kind of ownership experience(toyota esp) a safari may dissapoint you.
If you are only worried about "breakdowns", do not worry, the reliability is beyond that stage now, and no worries
Thanks, it is the breakdowns I am concerned about. I have had my share of issues with Toyota service not attending to problems I have reported. So I can bear with those kind of issues, but the breakdowns and stoppages were the most concerning of experiences on the Safari ownership thread.

I agree with comments here that the value for money factor is what is making the Safari an interesting buy. I am not too much of a Mahindra fan and I cant really afford the CRVs and Fortuners. I plan to switch my Swift with the Safari.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is common belief that Safari belongs to people who used to be very passionate. Most of the friends and family who are around with you always discourage idea of getting Safari.

There are not a single vehicle made in world which is trouble free, be it Mercedes Benz, BMW, Toyota or whatever. Every make have had its fair share of issue and problems.

But in reality it is not like that, Safari is also extremely reliable and of course league ahead in comfortable quotient. Road presence no body can deny that.

I am driving Maruti 800 but now booked Safari LX and expecting delivery on 22nd of September. In my apartment itself people advised me to go to Xylo or Innova. Do you beleive me I have never checked any Innova or Xylo. For me its a Safari and only Safari (Even if it is lowest variant, due to budget constranits). That's it.
Old 11th September 2010, 10:47   #15
LNK
BHPian

There's nothing about the Safari that's not been said in this forum, unfortunately that's not all. Its all about driving one and experiencing it.

I wouldn't compare this with other cars, it simply isn't just another.

Yes, quality is bad. Creaking noises here n there, body roll etc etc. But overall reliability has never been an issue. I got mine about 19 months ago, it's still quiet new and is eager to run.

As far as the engine reliability is concerned, I think it's all about maintenance and that bond with your car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks