Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 12:13   #1
alphamike

Upgrade to AWD - Hyundai Elantra CRDi

hi,

Since the Elatra and Tuscon share the same platform, is it really possible to convert the Front wheel drive to a AWD as on Tuscon on to the Elantra.

cheers

Old 15th September 2010, 11:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Tucson may be based on the Elantra's platform, but it would be substantially modified to accommodate the AWD tranny, its soft-roader purpose, additional weight and drive height. Theoretically, and with an unlimited budget, it will be possible to convert your Elantra to AWD.

In the real world, NO! The conversion would cost you more than the current value of your car, add unnecessary weight, sacrifice performance and bring no perceptible benefit at all. Sometimes you just gotta ask yourself : WHY? Spend a lakh of rupees instead on performance modifications (engine, suspension, brakes) and you'll end up happier.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2010 at 11:41.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:00   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike View Post
Is it really possible to convert the Front wheel drive to a AWD as on Tuscon on to the Elantra.
If you want all-roadability to some extent, you could try to procure and fit the ELD(Electrically/Electronically Lockable Differential) which would lock your half axles and would help in getting some traction. Fiat has it on their Adventure station wagon sold abroad.

This too would require quite some research, sourcing and expert advice.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:21   #4
alphamike

Thank you very much GTO.

Just got a thought across my mind and never imagined that it would cost me another car. I sell my elantra, put it as much and pick up a Tuscon in that case.

thanks once gain

Old 16th September 2010, 22:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

even if you somehow manage to make it AWD, what is the point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks