Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 20:34   #1
BANNED

Should i replace all four glow plugs ?

My lancer diesel gave an slight cranking problem in morning, it took about 2 rotations to crank, then i have checked the battery, it is ok, though not best.

Then i asked mechanic to check the glow plugs, after reading in an forum to check glow plugs it must be 0.5 ohms (standard) - max 1 ohms. I have checked with my meter which i had for my factory purpose, but two plugs gave 0.02 ohms and one with 0.33 ohms, other with 0.8 ohms.

So came to conclusion that two is gone, and to make it sure, i took it to an electrician, after checking he said two is gone.

My question is, whether to change all plugs or shall i replace only faulty, will it cause any future problems like early failure of other plugs when using half life plugs with new ones.

I have enquired about the price , HKT brand (imported) costs Rs.250-275 each.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Glow plugs are heater right. testing it is easy. Just hook it to a battery with a good wire, possibly a multistranded one.

If the tip heats up its fine or its conked. A bit of caution though doing above test.

BTW Beru makes good glow plugs.
Old 15th September 2010, 08:15   #3
BANNED

thanks for advise, but beru does not make glow plugs for Lancer, i have asked the shops yesterday for beru or bosch, but i could not get it. i have even searched beru site,

http://www.beruindia.com/pdf/APPLICATION%20LIST.pdf

it does not have for lancer. So there is no way. only imported is available or delhi make for Rs. 80-90. But i have preferred imported ones.

Though Bosch may be available with some good search, but they say mostly it wont be genuine bosch.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:43   #4
BHPian

IMO replace all four together.
and keep the best of the old ones with you for any emergencies.
these things don't konk off so easily but still if they do when its cold, then you've had it. its gonna be bad for the starter motor
Old 16th September 2010, 09:16   #5
BHPian

Bosch makes glow plugs and they do last longer. Replacing all the four would be best bet.
You would need to visit any Bosch-Mico authorized dealer.
Since you are in Coimbatore, try LG Balakrishnan and bros in Mettupalayam.
Alagendran (think, they changed the name to something else) in Gandhipuram would have them too.
Old 16th September 2010, 09:56   #6
BANNED

Spark plugs and glowplugs should always be replaced in a complete set.

Even if all the plugs are not malfunctioning, they are of the same age, which means that they will soon begin to go kaput one after the other.

Also, since the replacement is not very expensive, I would recommend replacing all the for plugs.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Replace the whole set, that is the best way to do it. Its not a very expensive part so why think twice.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:03   #8
BANNED

Today I have replaced all the four old glow plugs with HKT brand glow plugs costing Rs.275 each. But still i have the same problem of cranking problem, (around 1-2 rotations to start, this happens not only in morning, but also other time too) .

This problem occured only after long run of 600 kms (250 + 250 kms with AC on mostly, with around 90 kmph-100 average in highways)

After completing the trip, it gave this problem. Though 2 old glow plugs are not working, i changed all four, but problem still persists. Please Help. What are other possibilities?
Old 21st September 2010, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Next guess would be the battery. How old is the battery?
Check the alternator belt tension. Inadequate belt tension will lead to lower alternator output > low battery charging > starting issues is something I faced recently.
It could also be the fuel lines sucking in air.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:34   #10
BHPian

i'm sure the glow plugs were tested before they were installed in the car, but you need to check if they work in the existing wiring, a small loose contact can cause your glow plugs to not work properly. check the voltage at all four connectors.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:58   #11
BANNED

@jeeva

Battery is 3 years and 3 months old, its Exide. Alternator belt is ok, but the electrician said battery is over charging. and I have no idea about air sucking in fuel line, let me check with mechanic.

@msaudf

The glow plugs are tested, but have to check the output volt from battery, the connection of the glow plugs if ok.

Today morning, what i found is, it takes 1-1.5 rotation crank when cold start, then i switched off and immediately restarted again (within 5-10 seconds), then its okay.

But when i left it around 1-2 minutes of switch off and again starting, it gives same old problem. I have replaced new solenoid and serviced alternator last month.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Alternator belt is ok, but the electrician said battery is over charging. and I have no idea about air sucking in fuel line, let me check with mechanic.
You are indeed a blessed one to have an Exide battery going strong for 3+ years.
But overcharging is going to damage the battery sooner than later. Hope they have checked the alternator's rectifier during service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Today morning, what i found is, it takes 1-1.5 rotation crank when cold start, then i switched off and immediately restarted again (within 5-10 seconds), then its okay.
But when i left it around 1-2 minutes of switch off and again starting, it gives same old problem. I have replaced new solenoid and serviced alternator last month.
I think its either the fuel lines are sucking in air or its the FIP acting up.
Any sort of missing/smoke/sluggishness?
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:53   #13
BANNED

@ jeeva
Sorry i had made a mistake, the alternator was not serviced. The starter motor is serviced , when the solenoid gone bust, i have replaced it with new one and then again, water entered inside, once since while washing, (the rubber cork at the end lost) then opened it and serviced with petrol and closed that hole.

What is FIP? I would like to rectify it sooner, since i feel odd, when my car give this odd problem.

I dont feel missing/sluggishness/ smoke, but smoke is usual. other things goes unusual.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 22nd September 2010 at 17:57.
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:34   #14
BHPian

Sorry for the abbreviation. FIP is Fuel Injection Pump.
Most likely, it could be a trivial issue such as a leaky seal or a bush in the pump, which leaks out the pressure or a crack in the fuel lines sucking up air.
I am not sure who makes the pump for Lancer, probably its Bosch. If thats the case, a Mico Bosch authorised service centre would be the best place to check it.
A competent mechanic can easily diagnose the issue. If there is pressure drop in the fuel line, adding an extra electric pump would help too (but is not the permanent solution).
Old 26th September 2010, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Before cold starting, switch on the ignition and wait for the glow plug indicator to go off, then open the hood and prime the fuel lines. Meaning, you have that manual fuel plunger on the diesel filter. Pump it by hand till it gets hard and takes an effort to pump.

Crank the engine. if it fires at half crank, then inspect the fuel lines & system completely. It could be taking air from the Diesel filter unit. Maybe the 'O' ring has frayed.

If everything is ok and you still have problems, install an after market electric pump (Rs.300/-) before the diesel filter. It will start operating as soon as you switch on the ignition, thus maintaining full pressure in fuel lines.

I've done the same in my Safari & Scorpio..
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks