Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 01:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel - New Brake Booster Design By Maruti

Mod's Don't delete this thread, its for every Swift/Dzire owners benefit and I don't want it to get unnoticed, hence posted this in a new thread rather than my ownership thread

A swift diesel, ever since i ve owned it, I have never been happy with the brakes. They have just about adequate bite when it comes out from a service, after which things start going down and the bite starts deteriorating as km's run.

Take for example a Santro, Brakes remain crisp and bite even after a long run with the brake pads.

So with such a fast car like the swift diesel, the brakes just did not add up and with a loaded car, you better watch out on the highway when you brake, She ll stress your right foot over the constant brakings.

So finally I met the Regional technical head called Mr Mahesh by co incidence who had come to one of the service stations here. He told me that the petrol and diesel had the same brake booster and hence with the more torquier Diesel it was an issue with many owners regarding the braking.

So according to him Maruti redesigned the brake booster for the Swift Diesel and they had sent a circular out to every service station regarding the same some months back.

No one ever mentioned this to me ever. Aren't they suppose to replace it for every owner as an upgrade rather than wait for the customer to complain ?

Most people will live with the less braking efficiency thinking 'its normal'

Some will just adjust their driving style to it.

Anyway he said they ll replace mine with a redesigned one as I 'complained' of weak brakes.

When I mentioned the word 'recall', he said 'its not a recall'

Although I am not going to let them change mine until I am absolutely sure its a 'redesigned' one rather than just a 'new' one as it involves opening the AC gas pipes and I don't want them to touch anything which ain't broken.

Any of you folks out here, heard about this brake booster redesign scene or have your service station folks too kept mum about it ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2010, 08:19   #2
BHPian

Thanks for the info, bud.
I ve never heard this from my MASS, when I gave my SwifDy for 50K service last week. I will write to them immediately.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have never been happy with the brakes. They have just about adequate bite when it comes out from a service, after which things start going down and the bite starts deteriorating as km's run.
I agree with you completely. The brakes could do with some improvement. But with the number of swift Ds on the road and the labour intensive and expensive job of changing the booster I doubt Maruti will change en mass. rather on a selective basis and people who know (read team bhpians)
Old 15th September 2010, 09:08   #4
BHPian

^^ i assume this is the redesign implemented may be in the new swift ! Giving the option to an existing owner who complains about the breaks to replace with the new "redesigned" one could be a way of testing the new system in existing cars rather than testing it with new ones. Again this is just my assumption as i too havent heard this from Maruti guys yet !
Old 15th September 2010, 09:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess Swift needs better brakes. I was surpised, as in worried, about its stopping power at triple digit speeds.

Hope the new booster was incorporated in the newer cars.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

My bad, I should have mentioned this in the first post itself.

Yes the new lot of Swift diesels come with the upgraded brake booster.

Going to the service station in sometime to check the new booster out. Will report about this soon.

For refitting the brake booster, they have to remove the AC pipes which pass in front of it. Labour intense job it is.

Last edited by humyum : 15th September 2010 at 10:06.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:26   #7
BHPian

Guys , I had seen a notice put up regarding brake booster in Motorcraft Sec63 Noida Service station in July . The Notice was dated around April-May. It didn said the old cars will be replaced with a new booster . All i remember is that it said that from May onwards the Swift D has got a new brake booster and there probably some service instructions for station.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Trust me on this one !!!!

Guys, Just got my car after the brake booster change. The old one is some 10 inch and the redesigned one is 11inches, don't know what was the exact change in the booster but after I took it out of the service station YOU FEEL TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT.

THE BRAKES ARE ALMOST LIKE THE SANTRO's. SUPER GRIPPY.

In the swift I have never come to a stage where in I would bang my head on the front glass because of the braking power.

But TODAY I braked from 100 and my head was an inch away from the front glass because of the braking power with my foot BARELY giving any pressure.

The new brakes are EXTRA GRIPPY and require no pedal pressure AT ALL.

I wish they had come out with these brakes before. My right leg is going to be super happy now.

Am I happy or what !!!!

PS: I guess mine is the first one on teambhp who's car has a redesigned bigger brake booster from the old lot of swifts

Last edited by humyum : 16th September 2010 at 14:16.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:52   #9
BHPian

That's excellent news humyum. My car is due for its 30K service next month. Will put in a request for the brake booster to be replaced at that point.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Is this brake booster replacement free of cost for older swift/dzire diesel ? or any charges for this.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Is this brake booster replacement free of cost for older swift/dzire diesel ? or any charges for this.
If I am not wrong, if the car is in its first two years warranty, the same is free. It is not covered under extended warranty.

Humyum: Can you confirm the same?
Old 16th September 2010, 17:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
In the swift I have never come to a stage where in I would bang my head on the front glass because of the braking power.
You were not wearing seat belts or what?

Anyways, good to know this and is it covered for all the older swifts, and how much time it took?
Old 16th September 2010, 17:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

I was about to ask that

Good to know that the brakes are replaced, but will have to see how they fare with time. You were saying that the brakes used to work fine after the service but used to wade off with time, right?
Old 16th September 2010, 18:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I wasn't charged a penny , mine is a 2008 December model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
If I am not wrong, if the car is in its first two years warranty, the same is free. It is not covered under extended warranty.

Humyum: Can you confirm the same?
I think so this is the case, not sure though as after 2 years they start getting stingy with replacing parts under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Anyways, good to know this and is it covered for all the older swifts, and how much time it took?
Guilty as charged , It hardly takes 2 to 3 hours for the entire thing to be done. Very simple procedure to change the booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I was about to ask that

Good to know that the brakes are replaced, but will have to see how they fare with time. You were saying that the brakes used to work fine after the service but used to wade off with time, right?
They work fine after a service but it has never reached this brilliant level ever. If my brakes before were 60 % before, now they are 100 %, that much of an improvement. Just keeping my fingers crossed that even if they do deteriorate, it's just a little bit which is fine as they are super powerful now.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:46   #15
BHPian

I read this circular at Pratham Motors. I mentioned that it was only for the non-ABS models. I will check again this saturday and post on the forum. There was another circular about a modified mount for reducing clutch pedal vibrations as well. I dont remember the details clearly but will check once more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks