Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 12:52   #61
BHPian

One of my knowns in Noida had this change carried out on account of weak brakes, the difference is amazing. Where as I get the brakes serviced at 10K intervals.

I've shot a comment on MULs site as a technical complaint - let me see what comes out of it.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:02   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
One of my knowns in Noida had this change carried out on account of weak brakes, the difference is amazing. Where as I get the brakes serviced at 10K intervals.

I've shot a comment on MULs site as a technical complaint - let me see what comes out of it.
Please update when you get a response. I have been waiting for nearly 4 weeks for a response for my query but nothing happened.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Pacman2881 - Please refer to one of my posts earlier in this thread on the approach that i took. It worked for me, however i need to tell you upfront that this change has not done any wonders to the braking effeciency of the car. It has changed the feel of the brake pedal for sure, but im not too convinced about the claim of improving braking efficiency. They are still as lousy as they were in the first place, at least for me. May be im feeling so since i regularly drive other cars, which brake pretty well.

So, have your expectations in check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Please update when you get a response. I have been waiting for nearly 4 weeks for a response for my query but nothing happened.
Old 19th November 2010, 10:17   #64
BHPian

I am also facing same problem when I saw the this thread approached to the service station and got Brake fluid changed, Disk brakes cleaned, Brake line bleeding done, It’s almost a month and brakes are normal

But I have a feeling that effect of brake line bleeding would last for few months. Hence if you get any update from MUL please PM me.

Note from Team-BHP Support Staff: Kindly use the 'Reply' or 'Quickreply' textboxes for replying to posts (or non-rich text editors like Notepad). Otherwise tags like [COLOR] and [FONT] appear with the post.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation.

Last edited by Amartya : 19th November 2010 at 11:03. Reason: Kindly use the 'Reply' or 'Quickreply' textboxes for replying to posts
Old 19th November 2010, 12:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I was promptly contacted by MASS within 24 hrs who scheduled an appointment and asked me to bring it over for test, sadly though - missed the appointment today, have some work to do over the weekend else would have taken it for sure.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:32   #66
BHPian

I got my swift Vdi brake booster replaced

Thanks to Humyum for this information on new brake booster system and mr milind for his information for whom to contact-
here goes my story:-
I own swift Vdi non abs december 2008 model
I agree brakes indeed lacks the bite
after seeing this thread i called up mass and spoke to the service manager regarding new booster system, he promptly denied any such circular. after raising query on this thread milind asked to call up regional technical manager. which i followed
i was not able to reach regional technical manager in-spite of days call, so finally i wrote a email to maruti about weak brakes, on persual i got a call from the service manager asking me to visit their service centre. i went to Mass at prefixed appointment. along with manager i test drive few swift vdi vehicles and tried hard to convince him about weak brakes, fortunately regional technical manager was in the service centre, i did pushed my argument hard for which they finally agreed to change the booster under warranty. ( the message is in circular with regional technical managers, no service manager or dealers are aware of this- this is what i deducted from the interaction with manager. they easily don't agree to change, i was behind them like a leech.)
they took weeks time to order the part, they recieved the part on saturday and today it was changed. it was 3.5 hrs job including couple of test drives and wash.
new brake booster cylinder assy part no is 51000m75j11 older one had 51000m74j10- mrp-3563/-
as mine was under warranty i wasn't charged a penny.
brakes are great- butt and seat belt pretensioner feelings, brake bite is really super that's what i feel after 20kms of ride, let me check for couple more kms.
and yes this is not recall, booster will be replaced only on consutomer complaint and if they are convinced that they are weak.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:47   #67
BHPian

@dreamy,

Kindly let me know which service center did you get it replaced from. I tried it at the Pratham Motors, Outer ring road but to no avail :(

Thanks
Deepak
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:23   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Firstly - Thanks a ton to Humyum, If not for his update no one would have even been aware of this piece of information.

Secondly - Yes, this news is indeed true. I have a swift VDI from 2008 batch and the service station in chennai did replace the booster for me FOC since im covered under extended warranty for the 3rd year. However, do note any service station you contact will be blissfully unaware of any such thing in the first place. They cannot differentiate between the upgraded brakebooster and the old one and god knows what is maruti's strategy on this. I contacted the regional technical person through their website and he acknowledged to me this news is indeed true. He then instructed the MASS in chennai to replace the booster for my car which was about a day's work since its a little complicated in nature.

Finally - I dont know if it has really made a difference, or atleast no perceptable difference in day today city driving. As humyum had quoted in his post earlier, with the old booster it was literally impossible for me to get my wheels locked, i need to try out with the new upgraded one if it has made a difference in high speed breaking. The cost of the new booster was around 2577 Rs which was waived off for me against the extended warranty. I had to pay for the brake fluid and some other consumables amounting to 377 Rs for the job.

Overall im pretty happy with the responsiveness of Maruti and thanks to their regional technical head who contacted, acknowledged and resolved the issue. My only complaint is the service centers needs to be educated about this as they are the first point of contact for the customers and they are not aware of this upgrade at all.

I would be happy to help in anyways i possibly can.
Hi Bala, even i got a good response when i called to complain about shoddy work of ABT maruti,maruti is far far better than Honda and ford i would say

Quote:
Anyone from Chennai please let me know if this replacement has been done in any Maruti service stations and if it is done in general or in specific cases / problems faced. There is no response from Maruti on the query I raised in their site.

If anyone has the email ID of the Chennai regional office please PM me.
Quote:
Pacman2881 - Please refer to one of my posts earlier in this thread on the approach that i took. It worked for me, however i need to tell you upfront that this change has not done any wonders to the braking effeciency of the car. It has changed the feel of the brake pedal for sure, but im not too convinced about the claim of improving braking efficiency. They are still as lousy as they were in the first place, at least for me. May be im feeling so since i regularly drive other cars, which brake pretty well.

So you mean to say that there is no difference at all?which dealer ship didi you get it upgraded?

I was planning to upgrade my swift VDis brakes or upgrade the trye to 185 from 175 and thats how i saw this thread.

People who have changed the brakes please suggest if it makes difference to change the booster
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

My honest answer to this would be Yes. The only difference is in the modulation or play in the brake pedal, i.e, the new booster gives a little more feedback compared to the old one, but im not convinced of any improved braking efficiency. I have now run around 5k kms with the new boosters to kind of come to this conclusion.

Braking is a definite weak point of this car and i guess there isnt any option apart from living with it. I got this change effected in MSM chennai. I complained through Maruti's website and sent them an email too. Their RSM contacted me, verified my records and authorised the change. I was complaining about the braking efficiency many times earlier and hence they replaced it with no questions asked. I must admit the service standards of Maruti are of very high quality, Their products have many compromises, but at the end of the day im still satisfied with the ownership experience just because of the way im treated as a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

So you mean to say that there is no difference at all?which dealer ship didi you get it upgraded?

I was planning to upgrade my swift VDis brakes or upgrade the trye to 185 from 175 and thats how i saw this thread.

People who have changed the brakes please suggest if it makes difference to change the booster
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:09   #70
BHPian

There is perceptible difference in braking, it has improved my confidence.
braking is RELATIVELY good. on hitting the brake at 100kmph speed car came to stop within 5-6mtrs distance, which i feel ok. ( gurus should shed light on this).

@ deepak this was done at Rns motors , guess you need to catch hold of regional technical manager of your service centre. they dont budge a inch untill you prove them hard that your swift has weak brakes. please check with the part no of your current booster, part no will be print on the sticker attached to rim of the booster system, if it matches to the one which i have mentioned in earlier post then they may not change.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:34   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
braking is RELATIVELY good. on hitting the brake at 100kmph speed car came to stop within 5-6mtrs distance, which i feel ok. ( gurus should shed light on this).

@ deepak this was done at Rns motors , guess you need to catch hold of regional technical manager of your service centre. they dont budge a inch untill you prove them hard that your swift has weak brakes. please check with the part no of your current booster, part no will be print on the sticker attached to rim of the booster system, if it matches to the one which i have mentioned in earlier post then they may not change.
100kmph to Okmph in 5-6mts will not happen even in a crash i guess leave alone the brakes. Maruti is just bent on cost cutting .I happened to see a new alto and a significantly smaller booster compared to an older alto. Coming to the swift first they give so thin tyres , small diameter brake discs we all just learn engine braking somehow in a Maruti .I guess all who own a swift must get it changed in warranty , since we never know when one less meter in stopping distance saves us and our folks.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 23rd November 2010 at 20:39.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:03   #72
BHPian

Sorry, my mistake. that was a very very vague calculation . regarding braking distance,will try to calculate and put accurate figures.
one thing i can assure is brake has definately improved.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Bala, I checked your earlier post just now. You may be right- the feedback is lacking during hard braking making it scary and possibly the new one is helping on that front alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
I was promptly contacted by MASS within 24 hrs who scheduled an appointment and asked me to bring it over for test, sadly though - missed the appointment today, have some work to do over the weekend else would have taken it for sure.
Good news. Unfortunately for me they send the same message saying relevant people will respond everytime I enquire. Some automated message or something. I am getting fed up. One major reason for buying a Maruti is for the customer service and if that is not there then it is a mistake for going for their product.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 25th November 2010 at 11:53.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
braking is RELATIVELY good. on hitting the brake at 100kmph speed car came to stop within 5-6mtrs distance, which i feel ok.
Benz M-Class is supposed to have the best braking among cars in India. It takes more than 35 meters to come to a stand still from 80 km/hr, that too when the conditions are ideal (roads have sufficient grip, no rains, car is new, etc).
Old 25th November 2010, 16:39   #75
BHPian

I just got mine changed and must say the difference is there!! You will feel the real change in a fully loaded car on 100+KMPH.

On lower speeds one hardly complains about the brakes, so there is no point comparing the change on lower speed. That's my take...I may be wrong though, but honestly I do feel a difference in the response.

I would recommend visiting MSM rather than Maruti dealers, as these people are more accommodating and will probably change the brakes without much argument.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks