Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Car's speed and RPM value discrepancy!

Hey fellow BHPians!

This may (or may not) sound like paranoia to you, but I have been noticing some discrepancy with the speed of the car and the value in the tachometer. The car in question is Maruti Esteem MPFI, 2007 model.

Till a few months back, in 3rd gear the speed and RPM unflinchingly used to be 40Km/1500 respectively and in 4th gear, they were 60Km/1500 respectively. Now the RPM has increased for the same speeds. Instead of 1500, it sometimes goes to 1800 and very few times stays at 1500. I've watched this very closely, and the figures are correct. My driving style hasn't changed wee bit and the car get serviced at regular intervals.

Now my question: Is there something wrong with the gearbox? Or anything going wrong somewhere else? Or is it simply my paranoia?
Old 17th September 2010, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Abhinav, this could be a sign of clutch slippage.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:08   #3
BHPian

Even I think its a case of slipping clutch.

My wagon R had this problem till I got the clutch changed.

Last edited by aroop : 17th September 2010 at 14:10.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:26   #4

Seems like a worn out clutch. How may KMs has your car done so far? Another test you could do is to floor the gas pedal in 4th or 5 th gear at around 30-40 kmph speed and see if your RPM spikes up without corresponding acceleration of the car. Please do this only on a road that does not have traffic. If you are not sure visit your car mechanic.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Abhinav, this could be a sign of clutch slippage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Even I think its a case of slipping clutch.

My wagon R had this problem till I got the clutch changed.
Thanks Suman Da and aroop! So I guess it's time to get the pressure plate & clutch checked. One curious thing though, I'd done the slippage test (handbrake on, 2nd gear engaged and slowly lift the clutch) and the engine got killed immediately.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Cubes View Post
Seems like a worn out clutch. How may KMs has your car done so far? Another test you could do is to floor the gas pedal in 4th or 5 th gear at around 30-40 kmph speed and see if your RPM spikes up without corresponding acceleration of the car. Please do this only on a road that does not have traffic. If you are not sure visit your car mechanic.
The car's only done ~40K Km, but it's been through lotta rough & tough places in HP, UK & Ladakh. Also I had to get the clutch plate changed due to a misadventure in Ladakh.

I'll do the test that you've suggested tonight on an empty road and will let you know the results.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

It could also be a tacho or speedo error due to wear.

If a clutch reaches a point where it slips at 1500rpm while cruising, you would prob have a really tough time getting the car to move from a standing start.

So get the tacho/speedo checked first.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th September 2010 at 14:48.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It could also be a tacho or speedo error due to wear.

If a clutch reaches a point where it slips at 1500rpm while cruising, you would prob have a really tough time getting the car to move from a standing start.

So get the tacho/speedo checked first.

Shan2nu
Interesting! All the more, cause I have never had any problems with a standing start, even on the steep inclines of Jalori Jot. So would a competent mechanic be able to check them, or a visit to MASS is warranted?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 17th September 2010 at 15:18.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting! All the more, cause I have never had any problems with a standing start, even on the steep inclines of Jalori Jot. So would a competent mechanic be able to check them, or a visit to MASS is warranted?
Take you car to MASS and get an OBD check done. They will compare the actual engine revvs to the one shown on the tacho meter. If you get an accurate reading, then take the car for a spin and do the same for the speedo.

Shan2nu
Old 21st September 2010, 20:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Take you car to MASS and get an OBD check done. They will compare the actual engine revvs to the one shown on the tacho meter. If you get an accurate reading, then take the car for a spin and do the same for the speedo.

Shan2nu
Thanks for the info buddy! The video depicts exactly what I am seeing with my car. Time to fix up a timing with the MASS folks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks