Team-BHP - Video : Robots at the Hyundai plant, Chennai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Video : Robots at the Hyundai plant, Chennai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/89164-video-robots-hyundai-plant-chennai.html)

Hi Team BHPians,

Being hardcore motor heads, all of you would have read in the newspapers and magazines and more importantly discussed in this forum about the use of robots in the car plants to quicken their production process and also reduce labour costs.

I'm currently with NDTV and during one of my assignments as a producer of a tech show called Byte It!, we decided to explore the use of robots in the Hyundai plant. This happened sometime in 2008. I would like to share the video with you guys. The Hyundai team in Chennai and New Delhi were quite excited on this idea and were quick to invite us for a recce.

So we set out in an Indica from Chennai to Sriperambudur (outskirts). The PR manager met us at the entrance and gave us a Sonata to drive around the plant because our Indica would not be allowed inside, clap: for that matter, no non Hyundai cars were allowed inside.

I'm not going to write about the recce experience because, the following is a video of the same. After the recce, in a week we came back to the plant for the shoot with a script in hand. This time we took an Innova to accommodate our equipments and hoping to hop into a Terracan or a Tucsan from the Hyundai gate. Surprisingly, they allowed us inside because the PR manager had got some prior permissions for letting in non Hyundai vehicles. :Frustrati

We had the whole day for ourselves at the plant. The team at Hyundai has one of the best PR teams I've seen. Very co-operative and friendly. It got them their mileage and also a story for our programme and an awesome experience for us.

When we visited them, there production capacity was 2300 cars a day. And they worked for three shifts in a day. Both man and machine! Phew!

I have uploaded a High Quality file on youtube. So please let it stream before you watch it. Hope you guys like it!

YouTube - Robots at the Hyundai plant

Thanks for sharing that, Tud. Related Thread : Here's my detailed report on how Fords are manufactured (with pics) : Visit to Ford Factory, Chennai.

That was quite a long list of pics GTO. Now both these companies seem to be using more or less the same tech. Do you remember the make of the robots at Ford? Hyundai had them custom made by their own engineers. I remember seeing some Koreans working on the robots which disobey their commands!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2077293)
Thanks for sharing that, Tud. Related Thread : Here's my detailed report on how Fords are manufactured (with pics) : Visit to Ford Factory, Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tud (Post 2077378)
. I remember seeing some Koreans working on the robots which disobey their commands!

OT: Judgement day is near :).

There was a series in discovery channel showing various manufacturing process of famous cars. I have seen them all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipz (Post 2077911)

There was a series in discovery channel showing various manufacturing process of famous cars. I have seen them all.

that was my biggest inspiration ... also hope you've seen the building of aircrafts too, the one with the rolls royce engine ... mindblowing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tud (Post 2077378)
Hyundai had them custom made by their own engineers.

They have a separate division for this called Hyundai Robotics of North America (205) 216-0170

thanks for sharing Tud, Looks great, I love my hyundai and this was a like a treat.

GTO, such a detailed pic gallery, its almost like a video, covers everything professionally, you are certainly inspiring someone to easily decide a ford car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghpk (Post 2078798)
thanks for sharing Tud, Looks great, I love my hyundai and this was a like a treat.

My pleasure ghpk. Ever since i saw the manufacturing process, i ve made my self a better driver. These automobiles needs some serious respect!