Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 23:47   #1
BHPian

Punto - Electrical problems!

Hello people!!
So, the monsoon in Delhi has wreaked havoc on my punto's electrical circuitry and I need your advice before I head off to the service center.

Firstly, I have tried resetting the electronics by removing the negative terminal of the car, but it only works with issues relating to Blue and me I guess.

Secondly, i have checked the fuses, tried to do a DIY on the power windows but to no avail.

So here is the problem, the left front window of my car just refuses to stay rolled up, it just keeps coming down and down and down. Sometimes the switch on the passengers side works, sometimes it doesn't. And even if I try to roll the window up by the driver's side controls, it rolls up till I pull the switch but rolls back down as soon as I leave the switch. Hell it is almost like a fight , I pull the switch to raise the glass window but it lowers right there and then. Conclusion, the window is getting a command from somewhere to lower itself again and again.
It is a pain to drive with one hand on the power window controls and the other on the steering. Doesn't leave much room for optimal gear shifts, does it?

I have noticed that every time i open the car with the remote, the locks try to open 3 or 4 times i.e. firstly they open the doors, but then the system tries to keep opening the locks again which is indicated by the clicking sound which has become all too common in my car now. Want to hear the clicking sound, just try to open an already open punto, and you shall hear the chime.

I consulted a local electrician who claimed that some sensor in my car had gotten wet due to rains, let it dry up and the problem will go away automatically like it does on the numerous honda city's and lineas he has diagnosed with the same problem earlier. Even though this sounded very plausible at first, has turned out to be rather dud solution. After sun drying the car for 2 days, the problem still persists.

Since, Rama motors workshop's has been closed for a while now and me being super busy I haven't had the time to send the car to Fiat's service center. however, I did take the car to Tuli Motors in punjabi Bagh , but they seemed incompetent and clueless about such an issue arising in a punto. T

Before I send the car off to samyak/elegant in patparganj I'd like to listen to your suggestions about what is possibly going wrong in the car's electronic circuitry??
I have often found our community to be better informed and sensible than the apparent trained technicians out there when it comes out to issues such as these..[No not bashing fiat mechanics, please don't start the ruckus ]

My only concern is that it may be a very small problem , but due to incorrect diagnosis the service center people may just blow it out of the water and try out solutions which are not required at all. For eg, for almost b&m issues just reset the battery by taking out the negative terminal for 5 minutes and reconnect it, it has saved me on numerous occasions where the mechanics didn't have a clue about what to do about non functioning buttons on the car's steering wheel!!!

And one last thing, 'thank you ji' in advance to your replies.

Cheers!!
Old 29th September 2010, 00:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess your car is stilll under warranty. Please take time to visit any TATA/FIAT service centre.
Old 29th September 2010, 00:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Take it to the service centre asap rather than show it to a local electrician. I have the feeling the window problem will be due to a faulty switch on the drivers console or on the passenger side, because the passenger window has auto down, so that might be getting engaged.
Old 29th September 2010, 05:57   #4
BHPian

since you have stated the problem is not only with power windows but also with your central locking, this can be due to some short circuit happening either in wires, switch or if there exist some kind of sensor to handle all these in punto it might have gone kaput.

if its happening because of water clogged in some part, you can try checking thoroughly under bonnet and also under carpet for water traces and gently use vaccum cleaner to dry, some plastic parts holding water might not dry easily, so take precaution and DIY under your own risk.

I also suggest, when you take to A.S.S., be there when they check it, specially TATA/FIAT A.S.S., hearing lot of horror stories in this forum. Good luck and keep us update, so that you might help others.

Last edited by johnruben : 29th September 2010 at 05:58. Reason: A.S.S. w.o Dots, oops. edited
Old 29th September 2010, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Create a ruckus at the authorized service station!
tell them you haven't bought a Punto to be given solutions that one would give a 20yr old Ambassador
Old 29th September 2010, 20:53   #6
BHPian

All right , thank you for all the replies, the car visits the service centre on friday then, will update the thread friday night.

Also to all punto owners, for majority of the problems encountered with Blue and me , just reset the system by removing the negative terminal of the battery and let it be for 5 minutes or so. Most of the problems will get solved. Since b&m was made by Microsoft, consider the above solution as a sort of ctrl+alt+del to restart!!
Old 30th September 2010, 12:48   #7
BHPian

Does the punto have a cylindrical connector between the door hinges on the door? If the connector is loose or has moisture in it, it can cause all the problems you have. just unlock the connector by twisting and connect it back again. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you try this.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2010, 14:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Does the punto have a cylindrical connector between the door hinges on the door? If the connector is loose or has moisture in it, it can cause all the problems you have. just unlock the connector by twisting and connect it back again. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you try this.
Thank you so much Bejoy, you have saved me a lot of hassle at the service center. I opened the cylindrical connector you mentioned, there was a lot of water stuck inside. I dried the moisture, and found 2 or 3 wires which had been badly severed due to the water. I called my local electrician , got the wires soldered, and Vola!, no problems anymore. The service center people were asking to replace the motor, which I didn't agree to and they had no solution to the lock problem either!!!

Thank you again bejoy. And Punto owners in Delhi, I suggest you open those connectors between the door hinges to drain the water out, I am sure after the monsoon, water is getting stuck there and leading to problems and headaches.

Total cost - 50 Rupees!!
Estimated bill at the service center- 5000 Rupees!!

Bejoy and team-bhp zindabaad!!
Old 9th October 2010, 16:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Thank you so much Bejoy, you have saved me a lot of hassle at the service center. I opened the cylindrical connector you mentioned, there was a lot of water stuck inside. I dried the moisture, and found 2 or 3 wires which had been badly severed due to the water. I called my local electrician , got the wires soldered, and Vola!, no problems anymore. The service center people were asking to replace the motor, which I didn't agree to and they had no solution to the lock problem either!!!

Thank you again bejoy. And Punto owners in Delhi, I suggest you open those connectors between the door hinges to drain the water out, I am sure after the monsoon, water is getting stuck there and leading to problems and headaches.

Total cost - 50 Rupees!!
Estimated bill at the service center- 5000 Rupees!!

Bejoy and team-bhp zindabaad!!
Good to know that your car is alright now. This connector is supposed to be water-proof. May be it was not secured properly. See if you can get this connector along with the wiring harness replaced under warranty.

Do check all the other doors (sure you must have done it already )

But i am surprised that the service center guys did not notice it.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:33   #10
BHPian

Re: Punto - Electrical problems!

Well, since my original thread was deleted I am posting it here -

My Punto is almost 4 year old (will compete 4 on 3rd Nov 2014) and I am having this peculiar problem frequently for last 2 years. My Punto window glasses are not operating properly again. And it happened yesterday night when we were out for dinner and opened glass for parking ticket and it didn't roll up again. I have replaced winders thrice before in the last 2 years (they did not cover it under extended warranty - so last time in April 2014 despite trying to get it under warranty, I had to pay for it.) and frustrated with these problems as they cause a great security concern when glass simply won't roll up when you're out for some work or leisure. Anyone else faced similar problems with Punto?

I gave it for repairing in Pandit, Bavdhan today morning and this time the SA says that it is a controller problem and he is not sure if it could be covered under extended warranty. The controller is expensive (₹ 7500 + labour etc.) and I am pissed off why such electronic problems shouldn't be covered under warranty. Any pointers how to deal with this?I don't have any after market fitment.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Any pointers how to deal with this?I don't have any after market fitment.
By 'winders' do you mean the power window switch panel or the scissor hinge motor? Which door(s) did the problem(s) happen in or did it recur 4 times in the same door? If so something sure is going wrong here. The driver door power window operation is most susceptible to loose contact/dust/water entry due to frequent usage and multipe connectors but 4 times is unheard of. My Hyundai developed this problem once in the rear and I unscrewed it, cleaned the terminal and tried if it worked, nope window didn't budge. I knew it had to be a part failure and got it replaced. I paid a fraction of the cost that Fiat seems to be asking though.

Since you yourself aren't aware how the problem keeps recurring I assume that it isn't due to any user wear & tear/moisture leaking into the panel shorting the contacts. From the company stand of point if any user damage isn't found warranty HAS to be honoured, atleast for such simple electrical parts. So I'm quite sure you have without need paid from the pocket the past occasions. Fiat also must be competent enough to diagnose the root of the problem than just replace repeatedly. I assumed Fiat were generous in warranty terms (even goodwill replacements post expiration) since they have low sales. Maybe a Fiat owner can clarify who to mail and seek restitution from.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th October 2014 at 15:22. Reason: Typo's
Old 13th October 2014, 16:52   #12
BHPian

I have replaced all three glass winders except the driver window so far. (WINDOW REGULATOR as per invoice, costing 1390 each + labour etc. It is basically a motor with some cable attached to it). One of them has been replaced twice (back side, not sure if it was left or right). Last time it happened in April 2014 and I replaced 2 of them and had to pay since warranty claim said - "Winders are not covered under extended warranty".

Today's problem was with electronic controller (not winder problem today as I have been given to understand)(not winder problem today as I have been given to understand)(not winder problem today as I have been given to understand)(not winder problem today as I have been given to understand)(not winder problem today as I have been given to understand)

and I just took delivery of my car and though I didn't pay anything today (some 1 hour "discussion" with people there, the warranty guy was out of city), I was told that I might need to pay if warranty claim gets rejected. I am quite frustrated with Fiat/Pandit - any pointers how can I escalate this? I have a feeling that they accept claims only if you follow up with higher authorities, otherwise they just make you pay.

Last edited by manish7 : 13th October 2014 at 16:55.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:47   #13
BHPian

Update 17 Oct 2014 -

I have not heard from them yet, do you guys think I should write to Fiat proactively or should I wait for them to get back to me? I am quite annoyed that I need to argue with all this despite having my extended warranty in effect.

Any mail IDs that I can write to in Fiat to resolve this issue favourably?
Old 17th October 2014, 11:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Update 17 Oct 2014 -

I have not heard from them yet, do you guys think I should write to Fiat proactively or should I wait for them to get back to me? I am quite annoyed that I need to argue with all this despite having my extended warranty in effect.

Any mail IDs that I can write to in Fiat to resolve this issue favourably?
Why should you write to them? I mean, there is a part failure, they repaired it and did not charge you. For me, this tells me that they have already got the claim settled through FIAT, else they would be the first ones to contact you for money. If I were you, I would write to FIAT, asking them for a refund of the other 4 times where they made you pay.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Why should you write to them? I mean, there is a part failure, they repaired it and did not charge you. For me, this tells me that they have already got the claim settled through FIAT, else they would be the first ones to contact you for money. If I were you, I would write to FIAT, asking them for a refund of the other 4 times where they made you pay.
well, they were planning to charge me this time as well. But I put my foot down and after 1+ hour argument with the customer relationship executive (or whatever they are called) I managed to get my car out without paying on the condition that I'd pay them if warranty claim gets rejected. I just want to be proactive so that my warranty claim is not rejected this time.

If they make me pay, I am seriously contemplating going to consumer court since I have all my extended warranty docs in place and there is no after-market fitment either. Last time they rejected claim (I have PDF copy), saying that winders are not covered in extended warranty, I hope controller is.

Most Viewed