Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2005, 07:46   #1
BHPian

Baleno silencer touches

Have noticed that a portion of the Baleno silencer pipe, located just in front of the rear wheels, is so low that it scrapes the ground when I go over a hump that I have in front of my home garage. This happens only if the car is loaded with people.
I spoke to local Maruti, they say there is nothing they can do. Anyone else faces this problem, and any solutions?
Old 5th December 2005, 08:59   #2
BHPian

I guess all Baleno owners face this problem. I won't blame Maruti for this, road clearances for cars in India are already so high...

The only solution is to drive slow over speed-breakers/ camel-humps/ potholes/ craters...
Old 5th December 2005, 12:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
Have noticed that a portion of the Baleno silencer pipe, located just in front of the rear wheels, is so low that it scrapes the ground when I go over a hump that I have in front of my home garage. This happens only if the car is loaded with people.
I spoke to local Maruti, they say there is nothing they can do. Anyone else faces this problem, and any solutions?

One solution is to replace the stock 165X80X13 tyres with 175X80X13 (the standard factory fitted tyre on Mitsubishi Lancer) so that the height of the car gets raised (Flip side is your speedo and odometer will show 5-10% lesser than actual reading). If you are performance oriented used to high-speed cornering then you could switch over to 185X70X14 tyre size which will require changing of rims as well. This is the size fitted on Swift ZXI model. I believe there also exist techniques whereby some modification is made in the suspension (fitment of extra or bigger bushes?) to raise the vehicle's height.
Old 5th December 2005, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
One solution is to replace the stock 165X80X13 tyres with 175X80X13 (the standard factory fitted tyre on Mitsubishi Lancer) so that the height of the car gets raised (Flip side is your speedo and odometer will show 5-10% lesser than actual reading). If you are performance oriented used to high-speed cornering then you could switch over to 185X70X14 tyre size which will require changing of rims as well.

how will changing from 165/80 to 175/80 increase the height ??

theres not much you can do in this case.you either stiffen your suspension a little or drive really slow over the bumps.even i face the same problem but over most speedbrakers and bumps i drive very slow.

Rev
Old 5th December 2005, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
how will changing from 165/80 to 175/80 increase the height ??

Rev
Because 80% of 175 mm is more than 80% of 165 mm. 175X80X13 is wider as well as taller than 165X80X13, having greater perimeter. Hope that clarifies.
Old 5th December 2005, 16:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

its about 8 mm difference.will 8 mm really make such a difference to prevent it from scrapping ??

rev
Old 5th December 2005, 17:35   #7
BHPian

a friend of mine was facing same problem with his zen so he raised his suspension by fitting metal piece known as gutka (desi language) these can be available with your local mechanics also
may be that can help!!
Old 5th December 2005, 18:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

slow down and go sideways over the speedbreaker such that only one wheel is over the speedbreaker at one time...raisng the height will simply spoil the handling .
Old 5th December 2005, 18:55   #9
bhp
BHPian

i also have a 2005 baleno and face this problem . u cant really do anything about it rather than driving slow over bigger potholes and breakers when ur car is fully loaded . putting spacers and increasing the height will spoil the handling so hence its not worth the effort .....
Old 6th December 2005, 14:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
05 indigo marina tdi
05 maruti baleno
Dear BHP,

The combination of the vehicles you own is very interesting. How do you compare the two? Would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Directinjection
Old 8th December 2005, 21:16   #11
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection

Dear BHP,

The combination of the vehicles you own is very interesting. How do you compare the two? Would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Directinjection
i think maruti is more reliable over tata according to wat experiences i am having with both the companies . both cars are value for their money . but the baleno lacks space and marina is one of the best cars in interior space at this price ..............
Old 8th December 2005, 21:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

topic discussed earlier....check it out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...clearence.html

binz
Old 8th December 2005, 22:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
topic discussed earlier....check it out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...clearence.html

binz
Binz, This is off topic but wanted to know if there is any threads on AC's tried the search dint't help, I accidently slided the AC to recycle mode and got some dust in the AC's duct
All the fine dust is out but there is some thing stuck some where in the dash which makes funny noise like a "bee in the bonnet" whenever I turn the Fan on Any suggestions on what to do.
Sorry seriously this is off topic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks