Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 11:38   #16
BHPian

Here is an update - she survived a 1250 km drive Chennai - CBE - Chennai in the last four days. On the highway, from Chennai to K'giri, the needle was consistently at the mid point between half mark and red zone. Afterwards the needle crept back to mid point and stayed there till I reached Avinashi. Later that evening, the needle inched closer to red and stayed there all along for the rest of the evening when I drove to Velliangiri and back to CBE city. When ever the needle went past the mid point, I did not use the a/c.
On the return journey, she behaved perfectly normal except for a few kms on the Anthiyur-Mettur stretch. In fact I was able to do the return leg fully with the a/c on.

Here are a few observations from the trip:

1. Whenever the needle crept past the half way mark, I noticed that there was no collant circulation and the radiator fan was also not running.
2. On these occasions, the radiator was cold to touch - the way it would feel when you start it in the morning.
3. The temperature never crossed into the red zone.
4. The coolant never boiled up and there was no coolant loss also.
5. There was a slight drop in pickup when the temperature crept closer to the red zone.

I am sure it is a sensor issue and has got nothing to do with the engine.
Old 12th October 2010, 13:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
1. Whenever the needle crept past the half way mark, I noticed that there was no collant circulation and the radiator fan was also not running.
2. On these occasions, the radiator was cold to touch - the way it would feel when you start it in the morning.
3. The temperature never crossed into the red zone.
4. The coolant never boiled up and there was no coolant loss also.
Your thermostat valve is the problem. It is jamming up and opens later (at a higher temperature). Please get it replaced.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 23:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine Overheating Issue

Our Indigo XL Grand Dicor is also facing the problem of overheating. The Odo reads 1,51,000kms.
The Coolant is spilling out of the Aux. Tank and the Temp. needle is crossing half mark (50%) when AC is used. If the AC is switched off, the Temp. needle returns to half mark.
The Radiator Fan is working properly.

Is it problem with the thermostat valve?
Also would the level of coolant rise and fall if the Water pump is checked using following procedure (Keeping the Engine Temp. cold)--
1) Open the Aux. tank's cap.
2) Start the car and pump the accelerator slightly.
If the level does not vary, should the engine be warmed up a little?

Apart from Thermostat Valve and Water Pump, what other things should be checked?

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th November 2012 at 03:51. Reason: typo corrected on request
Old 20th May 2012, 13:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Clogged radiator/fins, weak engine. And just to ensure everything is fine, check the head gasket.
Old 20th May 2012, 14:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
If the level does not vary, should the engine be warmed up a little?

Apart from Thermostat Valve and Water Pump, what other things should be checked?
If the engine temperature was way above half for a long time then the gasket has blown. Also check for clogged radiator. Don't continue to drive the vehicle it will only ensure more damage to engine head.
Old 20th May 2012, 16:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Radiator was removed from the vehicle and flushed with water around 2K-3Kkms ago. So the Radiator fins are OK.

Just FYI..
The Head Gasket along with the Cylinder Head was replaced at 1,04,XXX kms 2 years ago. At that time the TASC replaced 3 injectors (yes you read right 3 injectors) since the TASC broke them while removing to check the Head Gasket.
The Total Bill came around Rs.94,XXX/-.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Update on my issue--
Yesterday I showed the car to TASC (Achal Automobiles Pvt. Ltd, Solapur) and told the SA that the Coolant is spilling from Aux. Tank's cap.

Without any diagnosing, he replied "The Head Gasket is gone and needs replacement".
I told him that the Head Gasket was replaced two years ago at Mumbai TASC.
He then replied "Then we need to check the Water Pump too".

I told him to replace the Thermostat Valve to which he replied that they don't have it in stock. I said OK i will buy it from outside shop and you replace it for me. He denied saying they cannot fit parts bought from outside shop in ASC.
I came back with the car and parked near my office.

Today I went to my local mechanic and told him to replace the Valve. He was busy and told me to leave the car and he will check it tomorrow.
I left the car with him and returned.

BTW, there is one more question--
I had parked the car near my office yesterday evening.
Today I drove around 1-1.5 km to reach the mechanic' garage and that too sedately drving in 2nd gear at speed not exceeding 20-30kph.
When the local mechanic loosened the Aux. Tank's Cap, the Coolant had developed enough pressure and was spilling out. Then he tightened it back and said either the Thermostat Valve has stuck or the Head Gasket might have gone since the coolant had developed so much pressure.

The Temp. Gauge did not rise even a little bit and was on "C". (The Temp. Gauge is working. Yesteday it had risen to Half Mark.)

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 22nd May 2012 at 16:19.
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, there is one more question--
Where is the question?

In any case, symptoms of a blown head gasket:
  • Bubbles coming out of the radiator.
  • Loosing coolant. You will need to top it up every now and then.
  • Whitish sweet smelling smoke.
  • Overheating
  • Slight coarse change in engine sound.
  • Sometimes oil and coolant mix.
  • Low or uneven compression in different cylinders.
  • etc... etc...

Last edited by dhanushs : 22nd May 2012 at 20:02.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Where is the question?
Sorry,
Forgot to type--
1) Is it possible that the Coolant can spill out from Aux. Tank's Cap even if the Engine Temp is Cold?
2) Is it correct that if the answer to above question is yes only when the Thermostat Valve is stuck or Head Gasket blown?

Does the Pick up of car get reduced if the Head Gasket is blown? If yes to how much extent?
Old 23rd May 2012, 00:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry,
Forgot to type--
1) Is it possible that the Coolant can spill out from Aux. Tank's Cap even if the Engine Temp is Cold?
Yes, I guess.
Quote:
2) Is it correct that if the answer to above question is yes only when the Thermostat Valve is stuck or Head Gasket blown?
Head Gasket Blown.
Quote:
Does the Pick up of car get reduced if the Head Gasket is blown? If yes to how much extent?
Yes, since you lose compression. The extent varies.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Today the local mechanic removed the Thermostat and I took the car on a long drive of @25-30kms.
I noticed the following--
For the initial 5-6 kms the Temp. gauge needle did not move even a bit. (I knew that this is due to Thermostat removal.) Then after that it started to rise slowly. After next 5-6 kms, I came on highway. At that time the needle reached at 35-40% of the total range (50% is Operating Temp. Mark). But as I drove further, the needle started to fall back slowly and after I crossed another 5-6kms the needle was at 10-15% of total range. So I pulled over to check the coolant since I did not hear the coolant spillage (the Alternator Belt would make noise if coolant spills over it while running). Then I decided to return. Again for 10-12 kms the needle refused to climb. For the last 5-6 kms of journey(city traffic), again the needle started to climb and remained at 35-40%.

So I decided to fit new thermostat valve tomorrow and again go for a drive to eliminate the issue of thermostat. I know I am risking the engine
But I want just to confirm it.

I will update tomorrow the outcome of this.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 23rd May 2012 at 22:40.
Old 24th May 2012, 22:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Today I drove for 30 kms (10kms highway and 20kms city) with AC after replacing the thermostat valve with new one.
The result is positive as of now. No coolant spillage from Aux. Tank's cap. Touchwood.

I will do a big test drive as and when possible and check for (God Forbid) coolant spillage.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

On Saturday 26-5-12, I drove for @120 kms (60kms one way) with a break of 4 hours in between.
No spillage occurred even though the car was frequently driven at speeds of 90-110kph occassionally touching 120kph.
Old 8th July 2012, 08:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
On Saturday 26-5-12, I drove for @120 kms (60kms one way) with a break of 4 hours in between.
No spillage occurred even though the car was frequently driven at speeds of 90-110kph occassionally touching 120kph.
Congratulations on the accurate self diagnosis. I am surprised that the indigo can maintain such speeds.

OT: do you have an ownership thread up? I'm interested to learn how the car is holding up in such extensive use, and the total cost of ownership. Will help understand whether or not these cars are VFM.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM
Congratulations on the accurate self diagnosis.
Again the car is overheating and it is at TASC Achal Automobiles Pvt LTd., Solapur since 15-06-2012.
Initially one of the Hose Pipe (which sends the coolant from Engine to Radiator) had a leak in one of the joints. The TASC asked me to source the pipe from outside since they did not have it in stock. It took me 4 days to source the pipe. After replacing the pipe we went for trial to discover that the coolant spillage is still present.
Then the stupid SA told me that he will fit new radiator and check if the problem gets solved.
Day before yesterday (06-07-2012), he called and told me that the New Radiator also did not solve the problem. He asked me the engine will have to be opened to check the problem. I gave confirmation to go ahead.
He gave me estimate of @ 30-40K.

Quote:
I am surprised that the indigo can maintain such speeds.
Its a Common Rail Engine. FYI, I would like to mention that I have touched a speedometer indicated speed of 180Kph on Pune-Mumbai Expressway.

Quote:
OT: do you have an ownership thread up? I'm interested to learn how the car is holding up in such extensive use, and the total cost of ownership. Will help understand whether or not these cars are VFM.
I don't have an ownership thread.
Also from my experience, the BSIII 1.4L Dicor engines are not that robust. These are not VFM. Our car proved to be very expensive to maintain.

Might be the BSIV (CR4) engines are much better than the BSIII ones.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed