Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Ikon 1.8 Diesel Overheating - Help required

There is a strange problem in my friends Ikon 1.8 diesel.

The car overheats if driven with AC on in the city for about 5-6 kms.Once the AC is switched of everything is normal, no overheating and temperature will be at the quarter level mark.Once when the temperature guage shoots up the car becomes very sluggish and there is a sound from the engine like that of a leaking silencer.Mechanics are not able to identify what sound it is.

During highway drives temperature guage will be below the half mark even with AC,so the problem is only in the city.

Is this problem due to blown gasket or a weak water pump.How to identify these problems.Mechanics tell me that if its a blown gasket the car will overheat even without AC.Is it true? If its a water pump problem how to identfy it?

The car has done done 1.8L kms and there is no oil consumption so i assume that the engine is fine.I need your suggestions to rectify this problem.

Note- once the car is over heated it will start only after a long crank with lot of white smoke.All these problems occur only when the AC is used or else it is perfect.

Last edited by stable rock : 7th October 2010 at 13:25.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Did they check the AC radiator grill fan? There are two fans one for radiator and one for AC. Sounds like the latter is not working here, hence overheating in city. While in highway the cool draft is keeping thing under control.

Rest of engine issues are typical diesel engine over heating symptoms.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did they check the AC radiator grill fan? There are two fans one for radiator and one for AC. Sounds like the latter is not working here, hence overheating in city. While in highway the cool draft is keeping thing under control.

Rest of engine issues are typical diesel engine over heating symptoms.
There is only one fan in Ikon.I also checked with electrician the fan is working fine.These problems started recently.Before that the car was perfect
Old 8th October 2010, 00:10   #4
BHPian

as the car is equipped with one fan only, it should be multi speed. the fan operates in normal speed when the water temperature reaches 80 or 90 degrees c, but when the ac is switched on the fan spins at a higher speed to cool off the condenser as well. now the problem maybe that the fan's second speed is not working and is only operating at one speed that is turning to be insufficient for both the condenser and radiator all together.
to determine if this is the actual problem you need to switch on the ignition and turn on the ac but without starting the engine. the fan should turn if not get the relays checked.
let us know whats happened...
if you are getting the checks done by someone else i'd suggest you go to a good ac mechanic and ask them to check things out. oh one more thing. does your ac show signs of less cooling while the car is at idle?

Last edited by msaudf : 8th October 2010 at 00:13.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Yes, I guess the fan in the IKON is a multi speed one. As a matter of fact, it has three speeds, and the third speed level, which is extremely noisy, is switched to, only when the engine overheats. Also the fan runs on 2nd speed as soon as the A/C is on, irrespective of engine temperature.

As you are having no problems during highway runs, as Jaggu suggested, this should be a fan issue. The sensors for switching the speeds of the fan should be gone kaput.

Well, the third fan is really audible, and hence you can check it out yourself, if its a fan issue.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
as the car is equipped with one fan only, it should be multi speed. the fan operates in normal speed when the water temperature reaches 80 or 90 degrees c, but when the ac is switched on the fan spins at a higher speed to cool off the condenser as well. now the problem maybe that the fan's second speed is not working and is only operating at one speed that is turning to be insufficient for both the condenser and radiator all together.
to determine if this is the actual problem you need to switch on the ignition and turn on the ac but without starting the engine. the fan should turn if not get the relays checked.
let us know whats happened...
if you are getting the checks done by someone else i'd suggest you go to a good ac mechanic and ask them to check things out. oh one more thing. does your ac show signs of less cooling while the car is at idle?
Hi msaudf,

I think this is the problem with the car.Fan is only working in one speed.Fan is not running when the ignition is switched on with AC on.

AC cooling is less when the car starts heating.Initially the cooling will be perfect as the engine temperature rise it becomes less.Anyway i will check with an electrician regarding this.

By the way does the fan runs on 2nd speed as soon as the A/C is on irrespective of engine temperature? i think there are only 2 speed for the fan, is it correct?

Last edited by stable rock : 8th October 2010 at 16:53.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:01   #7
BHPian

The Ikon 1.8 Diesel has only 2 Radiator Fan speeds, The Slow speed is usually on but as soon as you switch on The A/C the Fan goes into High Speed for sometime and then again to slow speed depending on the temperature, Now most probably Your Fan is not Functioning in the high speed, Since its working at low speed the fans motor is ok, Please have the fuses checked right next to the battery box i think its a Faulty Fuse, If fuse turns out OK Then Have the Fan Motor Checked Which IMO should be fine but if it aint Dude It costs a Bomb at Ford A.s.s close to about 6500 inclusive of labor. With My Car the Fan motor went kaput, but with a little scavenging i was able to lay hands on a Total Loss Ikons fan for 1200 Rs quite a Steal soon after i sold the ikon off

Even Though i dont have the car with me any longer Owning that car meant i made friends with a lot of mechanics Solved a lot of issues feel free to Pm me if u have any further issues if i have any Information regarding it will be glad to help IKON 1.8 Owners are a Rare Breed..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks