Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 13:00   #1
BHPian

99 Santro : loud khad khad noise from front wheels.

I own a 99 santro which is going strong, recently got it serviced and soon after service this khad kad noise started, this can be heard on road which is uneven (starts from 4 mm of uneven road approx). Earlier the suspension and tie rod bushes have been changed. I took it to Hyundai workshop, first the service advisor told me the tie rod needs to be changed and latter i was informed the entire steering assembly needs to be changed. they also said the life of steering assembly is roughly one lakh kms and i have done 1.1 lakhs kms. The estimate would be 22k (huge)

There are no vibration/noise in steering at all, its absolutely fine. Its just this khad khad noise from both front wheels.

My questions:
1. What could be the possible cause for this noise ?
2. Does stearing assembly needs to be changed ?
3. How much it should cost to get it fixed ?

pelase suggest.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

considering its a old car there is no point spending another 22k on it, there are steering experts in the jhandewallen area give them a try, i had the same sound coming especially when i lug my engine, i replaced the tie rod ends and the steering ball joints and the sound disappeared. if you have issues with the column then its better to get it repaired, the cost will be less than 3k, you have not mentioned wether its a manual steering or a power steering, if its a manual you will be sending less than 2k.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 8th October 2010 at 13:16.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:26   #3
BHPian

Its a manual steering. where exactly in jhandewallen ?
Old 8th October 2010, 14:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

let me also know, my steering also makes such noise, when going through potholes. I was given a quote of 3k by the ASC.

Need to get it checked by some independent mechanic, Xing done only 70k kms.
Old 9th October 2010, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
Its a manual steering. where exactly in jhandewallen ?

its near karol bagh, exactly behind vediocon towers.

pramod
Old 10th October 2010, 04:21   #6
BHPian

sorry to post in your thread "veyron-w16" but my santro which is 44k on ODO, is giving similar noise, haven't checked with any mechanic yet, but will certainly do it in coming week and post back the result and the culprit.
Old 10th October 2010, 07:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can you explain the noise a bit more? Does it come only when the tires run through uneven surface? Does it come especially when you accelerate hard or make hard turns? Is it a kind of clicking noise from then wheels or a more deeper 'thud' that comes from the entire suspension as if something's loose?
Old 10th October 2010, 09:18   #8
BHPian

@veyron-w16,

In case if the noise is there while driving on uneven stretches, try driving on the same stretch with brake pedal pressed. If the noise is absent while driving with brakes on, it points straight to calliper pins and that is quite a common cause for this issue.

If that is the case, first remedy is to replace caliper pins, and they are pretty inexpensive they should cost you about 200-300 for two pairs and about another 100 in labour at a local workshop. If the noise returns in less than 6 months, then look forward to replacing the caliper sets altogether and the cost on that front shoule be around 4K.

Do let us know what is the final outcome of all this troubleshooting
Old 10th October 2010, 09:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
In case if the noise is there while driving on uneven stretches, try driving on the same stretch with brake pedal pressed. If the noise is absent while driving with brakes on, it points straight to calliper pins and that is quite a common cause for this issue.
Agree with Tajender.

Just get your caliper pins greased and you'll be fine.This solution lasts approx 4 months after whihc you need to do it again.

My experience tells me that wheel bearing grease works best for the caliper pins (I have used Nygro RX2 caliper grease,the normal soap based grease,moly grease but the wheel bearing stuff worked best)
Old 14th October 2010, 10:31   #10
BHPian

sorry for late reply.
the latest update from hyundai service station : according to them its suspenssion issue, the cost for changing is approx 22k. according to them all the bushes have gone bad. I dont understand if bushes are bad why they want to replace all the suspenssion ? i changed shock absorbers 1 year back and according to service center the shock absorbers are in perfect condition.

Its not caliper pins as have have been replaced earlier, this noise is on uneven roads, not when i do hard braking or executing sharp turns.

I am still not sure why it has to be 22k ? what exactly is meant by changing suspenssion ? are there other alternatives to get it rectified at less cost ?

Thanks for your support.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

Check the lower arms and then the balance rod bushes, since the remaining parts have all been replaced. Shouldnt cost you more than 5k.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:59   #12
BHPian

I also observe a mild noise from front wheels and during my last service, SA told, the ball joints need to be replaced as there is a play causing the noise. It was very mild at that time, after 3K KMs more driving, now it is more audible. Odo reads 48K KMs.
Not sure what is the approx cost of ball joint replacement at Hyundai service.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:47   #13
BHPian

moving ahead with further investigation, I took the car to my only Hyundai workshop. After a short drive the problem was found with calipers, they were so lose that one could move them with hands. The service advisor told me they need to be changed, along with brake pads. I am wondering why they have to be changed ? cant they be tightened ?
Old 26th September 2016, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Re: 99 Santro : loud khad khad noise from front wheels.

Guys, sorry for bumping in an old thread, but I have the exact same case in my Santro Xing 2005 model.
Issue: Loud Kadak-Kadak noise coming from front tires when turning extreme left or extreme right and moving the vehicle. The noise doesn't appear if we just turn the steering. It appears only when I move the car after turning the steering extremely in either direction. It feels as if something is breaking.

Background: A few months back, I did suspension overhaul at nearby garage (a reputed one) and replaced the struts and bushing and other suspension related parts with genuine Hyundai parts. Just after this overhaul, the steering started giving less loud "kad kad kad" noise when turning the steering wheel, but it's not jam and works well. But this loud noise started coming a few days back.

What might be the issue here?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2016, 08:40   #15
BHPian

Re: 99 Santro : loud khad khad noise from front wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Guys, sorry for bumping in an old thread, but I have the exact same case in my Santro Xing 2005 model.
Issue: Loud Kadak-Kadak noise coming from front tires when turning extreme left or extreme right and moving the vehicle. The noise doesn't appear if we just turn the steering. It appears only when I move the car after turning the steering extremely in either direction. It feels as if something is breaking.

Background: A few months back, I did suspension overhaul at nearby garage (a reputed one) and replaced the struts and bushing and other suspension related parts with genuine Hyundai parts. Just after this overhaul, the steering started giving less loud "kad kad kad" noise when turning the steering wheel, but it's not jam and works well. But this loud noise started coming a few days back.

What might be the issue here?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
I had the same issue with my 16 year old Baleno. The culprit was DRIVE SHAFT. These can also be repaired or you may go for the new set if you plan to keep the car for a long time. I got the set repaired for 3000 Rs.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks