Team-BHP - Hyundai i10 brake failure
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hyundai i10 brake failure (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/90450-hyundai-i10-brake-failure.html)

My friend's relative bought a new i10 Santro ERA model 2 months back. Off-late he is noticing that when driving in city, the brake suddenly stops working and becomes very hard to press. He has to pump it two three times then only it brakes.

He is very worried to take on long journey/highway. I searched through the forum but did not see any reporting of such incident. This has happened to him 3 times. So now he has asked for the company guys to see it and check. But i wanted to know if any one has faced this problem and fixed it. Forum members please provide your comments/suggestions.

A new vehicle shouldnt exhibit such a behavior. Get it checked at the nearest service station ASAP.

By any chance, did he drive the vehicle lately eg downhill riding the brakes too much and hence wearing them out. Otherwise i do not see any other reason except either a mechanical issue which has suddenly cropped up or a manufacturing defect.

This is shocking to know. Please ask your friend to stop driving immediately and get it checked with Hyundai A.S.S.

In my experience, these hatches have wonderful braking system. Be it the earlier Santro and now i10 comes with even better stopping power.

First off this shouldnt be happening on a 2 month old car. Pumping your brakes several times may rebuild enough pressure in the braking system for you to stop. However check if the brakes have been bled and if there is any brake fluid leaking . Ask your friend to check the brake fluid levels in the car.

If all of these are in line then it has to be the MC(master cylinder)/drums/ calipers. The usual culprit is a faulty MC.

[
Quote:

QUOTE=n_mouli;2104273]My friend's relative bought a new i10 Santro ERA model 2 months back.

What car is this?? I 10 0r santro?

Anyways tell your friend to drive it only till the Hyundai service station. It is scary driving such car on the road for your self as well as for others.

Brake booster will need replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 2104353)
However check if the brakes have been bled and if there is any brake fluid leaking . Ask your friend to check the brake fluid levels in the car.

If all of these are in line then it has to be the MC(master cylinder)/drums/ calipers. The usual culprit is a faulty MC.

No brake fluid leak is discovered.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkg (Post 2104634)
[

What car is this?? I 10 0r santro?

It is an i10 lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 2104641)
Brake booster will need replacement.

Hopefully the service team will find out the root-cause and replace faulty parts under warranty soon.
Sorry to see a new car with such an issue.

I would also suspect the booster vacuum hose.

similar problem i had faced with my santro LS 2002 model. but this problem was not very frequent but present from very beginning finally i got my brake booster replaced as service would not do it after repeated complaints. replacement was done in 3rd of ownership as the problem had increased in frequency. earlier it was 1-2 times /1000kms later it was 1-2 times every 100kms but it is very dangerous as your brake estimation will be wrong when booster malfunctions and brakes will become very hard, ask your service guys for booster replacement as they will try to avoid it in warranty as they did it with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsnt (Post 2106865)
similar problem i had faced with my santro LS 2002 model. but this problem was not very frequent but present from very beginning finally i got my brake booster replaced as service would not do it after repeated complaints. replacement was done in 3rd of ownership as the problem had increased in frequency. earlier it was 1-2 times /1000kms later it was 1-2 times every 100kms but it is very dangerous as your brake estimation will be wrong when booster malfunctions and brakes will become very hard, ask your service guys for booster replacement as they will try to avoid it in warranty as they did it with me.

:OT Mine(i10) is 2008 Jan model. I got different problem. When I reversed the car to park my vehicle, due to slight clutch and gear play difference, I heard KRRRRRRRR noise.

After that, even after shifting the gear. My Catty not moved. Then called the Service guys for towing to there service center.

Later they told that Shaft system become kabut :Frustrati

Odometer reading is somewhat 2500 KM in April 2008. But it was changed through insurance though I had to shed some 3000 bucks.

Just myself want to know about any similar issue faced by fellow i10 owners.

Regards,
Camon

My friend just told me that the *** guys have replaced the vacuum hose suspecting that to be the issue and have given the car back to the owner today afternoon.
The owner is not sure whether due-diligence was done in inspecting the issue. The service guys could not find the problem in their test drives and looks like they told the owner that OBD will not show any issues as there is no 'ABS' setup in this car!!:uncontrol
Anyway the owner would be driving the car for about 150 KMs (from Shimoga where he had bought the car) today evening!!
Hopefully the problem would have fixed itself with the hose change and the car is back to normal! If he faces the problem once again after this, then probably he would ask the *** for a brake booster change under warranty. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_mouli (Post 2104273)
My friend's relative bought a new i10 Santro ERA model 2 months back. Off-late he is noticing that when driving in city, the brake suddenly stops working and becomes very hard to press. He has to pump it two three times then only it brakes.

He is very worried to take on long journey/highway. I searched through the forum but did not see any reporting of such incident. This has happened to him 3 times. So now he has asked for the company guys to see it and check. But i wanted to know if any one has faced this problem and fixed it. Forum members please provide your comments/suggestions.

I have one month old i10 sportz and facing the same problem - During city driving - bumper to bumper on partial clutch some time the brake gets stuck in the upper position and becomes hard it press. Releasing the clutch fully and pressing it again makes the brake work again. I never faced this problem when driving in highways (because the clutch is mostly in released position).

I mentioned the problem when I gave for 1st service - they said it is fixed - but the car still has the problem. Let me know if he solved the problem by changing something.