Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Abnormal pricing of optra 1.8 spares

Recently i sensed an abnormal bearing noise from my optra 1.8 engine which had done 110000 + kms and had sent it to the a.s.s in my city.
First they diagonised it as the tensioner bearing gone katput and said that they got to replace all three bearings which include idler bearings too.
The price quoted was 7800 for the tensioner bearing and 5200 for the idler bearings. I had asked them to go ahead and change them.
Now, they say the timing belt too has to be replaced and quote Rs.7800 for the same!!!.
I had told them that the belt was replaced at 90000km service and how come that had not lasted for 20000 odd kms for which they are not able to give me a proper reply and just evade answering that question.

Now when i enquired about the price in the local market at chennai, the price quoted for the timing belt was just Rs.950/- and the tensioner bearing at Rs.2100/-
Am getting a feeling that GM is ripping its customers by pricing it so abnormally!
Fellow Tbhpians need your advice, should i get the belt from the local market and replace it or is the pricing right what the a.s.s people are quoting?
Somehow am not able to digest the fact of shelling out R.s7800 for a timing belt!
Please advice me
Old 14th October 2010, 17:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I just got all these replaced for my Optra 1.6 petrol and the bill including service (60k kms) came to 21000/-, they told me the next major service would be at 90k, I got it done at Sundaram Motors which is the ASC.
If you get spares in the local market and get it changed, no doubt the price is a steal, but what if something gives way due to this?
I don't think just the timing belt costs 7800/- I will check my bill and revert, you could always get a second opinion from a different ASC.
Old 14th October 2010, 18:10   #3
BHPian

Price quited is too low.

GM is ripping you no doubt but the price quoted in the local market is too low.
Take the bearing number and go to the dealer of SKF or NTN and ask them to give the best they have in that number. There are many varieties so pick the costliest one.

Now about the timing belt from the local market; the price quoted is extremely low. Go to the dealer for GATES poly products and take a genuine belt from them. You cannot go wrong as long as the price is more than 1400 with bill.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
GM is ripping you no doubt but the price quoted in the local market is too low.
Take the bearing number and go to the dealer of SKF or NTN and ask them to give the best they have in that number. There are many varieties so pick the costliest one.

Now about the timing belt from the local market; the price quoted is extremely low. Go to the dealer for GATES poly products and take a genuine belt from them. You cannot go wrong as long as the price is more than 1400 with bill.
thank you sir
The GATES product timing belt has been quoted as 1100 with bill in chennai.
so hopefully id be getting that tommorrow. thanks for the quote.
Old 14th October 2010, 23:07   #5
BHPian

I have a Optra 1.6 . I got the timing belt , tensioners etc. changed at 45K last year April (2009) the bill was for Rs. 10k including front brake pads , labour etc.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:52   #6
BHPian

had checked with the GM a.s.s in coimbatore who have quoted Rs3750/- for the timing belt alone.
Am going to have a look at my car and give those people a piece of my mind and have already placed an order for the GATES timing belt .
Am planning to take the car to my trusted local mechanic guy to have it fixed incase they dont agree with the pricing now.
Old 16th October 2010, 06:46   #7
BHPian

DONE DEAL....have got a timing belt for Rs.1200(with bill) from a reputed shop in chennai and its on its way to my city. Thanks guys and request all to counter check with the local market regarding the prices of spares rather than be ripped off!
You would particularly be shocked at how much you would save and that money can also be spent to maintain your car in the highest way possible by some trusted local mechanic too!!

Most Viewed